By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii owns the Platforme genre

RolStoppable said:
Antabus said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Anyway it's a niche market and I would not be surprised if the VC alone outsold the platformer on PS3 and 360 combined by a huge margin. Because people know this game are full games.

Did you just call platformers which can be beaten in 11 minutes full games?

If those platformers in question are outselling what the PS3 and 360 have to offer in the same genre, then that certainly means they are worth their money.

I see. If a 11 min game sells a lot, it is a full game. If a 40h game sells even one copy less, it is not a full game. As long as it is in same genre, very logical. It is all about outselling!

Around the Network
Antabus said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Anyway it's a niche market and I would not be surprised if the VC alone outsold the platformer on PS3 and 360 combined by a huge margin. Because people know this game are full games.

Did you just call platformers which can be beaten in 11 minutes full games?

That's kind of flawed, when even games like Oblivion can be completed in 11 minutes...

VGChartz

Honestly to me it slounds like some HD fanboys can't accept that the Wii is absolutely destroying their beloved HD consoles on this genre of games.

This is the facts. Platformers happen on Wii. Period.

Lucas-Rio said:

Honestly to me it slounds like some HD fanboys can't accept that the Wii is absolutely destroying their beloved HD consoles on this genre of games.

Personally I'm fine with the idea that Wii sells platformers better on average, what I take issue with is you making overarching overstatements like "the Platformer is dead on the HD consoles" when it is most clearly not.  If you have multimillion sellers in that genre there's no way that I'll agree that the genre is dead on that console. 

On the note that Wii is a land where the streets are paved with cheese as far as Platformers go you ignored the sheer difference in number of titles in your analysis.

Average Wii Platformer sales: 1.27m

Average PS3 Platformer sales: .65m

Average 360 Platformer sales: .52m

and if we only do 3rd party games

Wii:.39

PS3: .28m

360: .51m  w/out Kung Fu Panda: .34

Not as huge of a difference as you made it out to be, the biggest difference between the numbers you were putting up was in the number of Platormers on the console.

In comparison the same numbers for RPGs would be:

Average Wii RPG sales:.295

Average 3rd Party Wii RPG sales: .255

Average PS3 RPG sales: .488

Average 3rd Party PS3 RPG sales: .497

Average 360 RPG sales: .785

Average 3rd Party 360 RPG sales: .639

Based on that I would think that RPG's are more dead on Wii than Platformers are dead on the HD consoles, but then really I think you're just overstating the difference and neither of those genres are dead on any of the consoles.

Torillian said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Personally I'm fine with the idea that Wii sells platformers better on average, what I take issue with is you making overarching overstatements like "the Platformer is dead on the HD consoles" when it is most clearly not.  If you have multimillion sellers in that genre there's no way that I'll agree that the genre is dead on that console. 

On the note that Wii is a land where the streets are paved with cheese as far as Platformers go you ignored the sheer difference in number of titles in your analysis.

Average Wii Platformer sales: 1.27m

Average PS3 Platformer sales: .65m

Average 360 Platformer sales: .52m

and if we only do 3rd party games

Wii:.39

PS3: .28m

360: .51m  w/out Kung Fu Panda: .34

Not as huge of a difference as you made it out to be, the biggest difference between the numbers you were putting up was in the number of Platormers on the console.

In comparison the same numbers for RPGs would be:

Average Wii RPG sales:.295

Average 3rd Party Wii RPG sales: .255

Average PS3 RPG sales: .488

Average 3rd Party PS3 RPG sales: .497

Average 360 RPG sales: .785

Average 3rd Party 360 RPG sales: .639

Based on that I would think that RPG's are more dead on Wii than Platformers are dead on the HD consoles, but then really I think you're just overstating the difference and neither of those genres are dead on any of the consoles.

Average are useless when the numbers of titles are too different.

The thing that shows that platformer are dead on HD console is that videogame companies don't even bother to release them on these consoles now.

Around the Network
Lucas-Rio said:

The thing that shows that platformer are dead on HD console is that videogame companies don't even bother to release them on these consoles now.

What are you talking about, averages exist for when the numbers of titles are too different, what is useless is your general analysis of comparing totals which is totally dependent on the number of titles.

If platformers are dead on HD consoles why did I just play LBP2 over the weekend and why is De Blob 2 coming out for all consoles instead of just the Wii?  That's the only big upcoming 3rd party platformer I can think of and it's releasing for all three consoles.  If the HD consoles were dead for the genre then what are the huge 3rd party Wii platformers upcoming that aren't releasing on the HD consoles?

@rolstoppable like you said before it all depends on your perspective. Hell yeah im downplaying those "fantastic" games. Because I dont believe they are fantastic. THere not doing anything that i have not done years ago on Genesis and SNES. As for the DL games on PSN/Live I already said I enjoy some of those more than some of the full scale Wii games. If you dont like my opinion thats fine. "reality", i love how some of you guys talk about the other consoles and you dont even own them. So in "reality" you really dont have any idea what they offer. YOu know what for the hell i think im going to compile a list of Wii 2d platformers vs. LIVE/PSN ones just to see who offers more. If im wrong then ill be the first to let you know im eating crow.

@Torillian  your wasting your time, i bet my bottom dollar that most of these guys talking "platformers are dead on Wii" dont even own a HD console, so they have no idea what they're talking about. Wii do better with platformers??? Sure. That doesnt mean its dead on HDs, not with Trine 2, new Rayman, new Bonk coming down the pipe

@KungKras  I see says the blind man, now I understand, you missed that whole 16 bit era. I gotcha man. I see where your coming from. I started gaming with nintendo and platformers where a dime a dozen, i played the greats (SOnic, Mario) the not so greats (Aero the acrobat) and everything in between. I see how you would like to want to have more 2d plats, but from my point of view, as a guy who has played a ton of them, im far less excited

Lucas-Rio said:

Ah, so throw out everything you don't agree with, eh?

What platformers could of been released on the HD consoles that were not released? The majority - the vast majority - of platformer sales on the Wii are from titles that cannot be ported to other consoles.

There are many ways to look at the argument. If your going to attempt to discredit everything that isn't on the Wii because it isn't your system of choice, then it clearly shows you aren't trying to make a reasonable, or logical argument.

But again, what platformers weren't released on HD consoles? Epic Mickey? That is the only one I can think of, and I'd argue they did that because they figured the user base was ripe for a Disney-based game. Having said that, you can look at other platformer IPs like the Lego series, and they've had pretty reasonable success on the HD consoles, despite a smaller market share.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

The best point for comparison would really probably be simultaneous multiplatform titles.  The only platformers I can think of in that regard are probably Sonic Unleashed, Sonic 4 Episode I, Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10, which all sold best on Wii afaik.  de Blob 2 will be the next real point for comparison.  Bonk BOE also, though DD sales are harder to come by.

I'd say this also works for any genre, comparing different titles (even within the same brand) can skew the results otherwise.  A good example would be Goldeneye versus Blood Stone... looking purely at the genre and brand, you could make the argument FPS sell better on Wii than HD based off that, which I'd say is dramatically far from the reality of things.  Black Ops I'd say would make for a far better example.