By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Canada is at it again, bans Dire Straights from radio

Apparently "Money for Nothing" is shooting up the Canadian iTunes charts. It just passed "Bed Intruder".

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Lostplanet22 said:

I don't see the problem , their are plenty of songs banned in the USA aswell, I saw it in a program a few weeks ago, a middle aged (I think from Virginia) complained that he could not sing a song from his ancestors with the text ' And when our niggers working on the field' while at the same time the youth is riding with their cars playing loud music with songs that  use the words 'Nigger 10-20 times'..

And if I am not mistaken Green Day's American idiot was also banned/censored because it used the word Faggot.. in the USA..

What I don't understand is why they didn't just bleep the words out like in American Idiot. I remember the song What it's Like by Everlast being so censored it was ridiculous but they still aired it.

If I were to venture a guess, I'm thinking they're perhaps trying to set a precident: that if you're to write purposeful sensitive words in a derogatory manner, you will not get airtime. That is at least somewhat (hardly) defencable. I really have no idea.

However, they haven't seemed to realize that the song isn't even written from the perspective of the songwriter:

Interviewer (Rolling Stone): The layers of irony in "Money for Nothing" have certainly confused people.

MK: I got an objection from the editor of a gay newspaper in London - he actually said it was "below the belt." Apart from the fact that there are stupid gay people as well as stupid other people, it suggests that maybe you can't let it have so many meanings - you have to be direct.

MK: In fact, I'm still in two minds as to whether it's a good idea to write songs that aren't in the first person, to take on other characters. The singer in "Money for Nothing" is a real ignoramus, hard hat mentality - somebody who sees everything in financial terms. I mean, this guy has a grudging respect for rock stars. He sees it in terms of, well, that's not working and yet the guys rich: that's a good scam. He isn't sneering.

badgenome said:
MrBubbles said:

oh..so you think private broadcasters shouldnt actually determine what they want to play now? that the government should intervene and force private broadcasters to play certain things? fascinating...

Er? I have to admit that the land of Human Rights Commissions often confuses me, but isn't this CBSC ruling a precursor to the actual CRTC outright banning the song from the airwaves? In other words, you'll choose to stop or you'll be stopped?

no...the crtc does have the power to review the rulings of the cbsc and does have final say...but the cbsc isnt just some puppet group to keep appearances.  the cbsc recieves and deals with all their complaints pertaining to their members, the crtc will recieve complaints on the few not in the group.  then the crtc will recieve complaints on the rulings of the cbsc.  the ruling isnt even about the song itself.  they banned the word faggot, which still means a radio-edit version of this song can still play.  just like all the other songs with radio-edit versions.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

rocketpig said:
Acevil said:

Since it seems I am one sided: CBSC has made a lot of stupid decisions in the past, because simply they think be their actions results in everyone being satisfied. Good thing they don't control the contents of books, or maybe we would have words removed out of our books. 

I'd hate to see what those morons would do to Mark Twain's catalog of novels.

This is so bloody dumb that I can't even wrap my head around it.

On that note they just released a version of Huck Finn without the N word. One of my favorite books ever ruined for PC reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

rocketpig said:
Lostplanet22 said:

I don't see the problem , their are plenty of songs banned in the USA aswell, I saw it in a program a few weeks ago, a middle aged (I think from Virginia) complained that he could not sing a song from his ancestors with the text ' And when our niggers working on the field' while at the same time the youth is riding with their cars playing loud music with songs that  use the words 'Nigger 10-20 times'..

And if I am not mistaken Green Day's American idiot was also banned/censored because it used the word Faggot.. in the USA..

Private companies choosing not to play something or censoring specific words of their own volition is not the same thing as a national broadcast ban.

Does it matter when they do it for the same reason? The problem are the listeners who are complaining about the song not the companies/broadcast stations because they only care about the money anyway..

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Private companies choosing not to play something or censoring specific words of their own volition is not the same thing as a national broadcast ban.

the cbsc is a group of private broadcasters

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

are they serious,banning money for nothing because they use the word faggot it in it,good lord

@kowen dire straits are a pretty good band with some great songs imo

Have they banned the classic film Dambusters on your side of the pond,the dog in that film is called nigger,in a nice old posh england accent,it always makes me giggle

how times change

political correctness is a Demon of our time,beware the false prophet

Above & Beyond

MrBubbles said:
rocketpig said:
Lostplanet22 said:

the cbsc is a group of private broadcasters

Ah, I didn't know that.

For shame.

TruckOSaurus said:
rocketpig said:

If you don't understand the film rating system in America, take a number and get in line.

Read up on Stone and Parker's take on the MPAA rating system when they made the South Park film. It's hilarious. Every time the film was rejected as being too obscene for even an R rating, they would turn around and make it WORSE. Eventually, the film was approved for an R rating. No one really understood why.

I think they said the movie was originally called "All hell breaks loose" or something like that and people objected because of the word "hell" then they came back with "Bigger, Longer and Uncut" and it got approved. Censors are weird.

Lol, I can't believe I just got that now.

The uncle fr song had to do with ratings too.

MrBubbles said:
badgenome said:
MrBubbles said:

oh..so you think private broadcasters shouldnt actually determine what they want to play now? that the government should intervene and force private broadcasters to play certain things? fascinating...

Er? I have to admit that the land of Human Rights Commissions often confuses me, but isn't this CBSC ruling a precursor to the actual CRTC outright banning the song from the airwaves? In other words, you'll choose to stop or you'll be stopped?

no...the crtc does have the power to review the rulings of the cbsc and does have final say...but the cbsc isnt just some puppet group to keep appearances.  the cbsc recieves and deals with all their complaints pertaining to their members, the crtc will recieve complaints on the few not in the group.  then the crtc will recieve complaints on the rulings of the cbsc.  the ruling isnt even about the song itself.  they banned the word faggot, which still means a radio-edit version of this song can still play.  just like all the other songs with radio-edit versions.

My mistake, then. Thanks.