By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Canada is at it again, bans Dire Straights from radio

disolitude said:
rocketpig said:
disolitude said:

lo, pretty funny.

I am pretty sure that most people in US would wish this was one of the problems they were having instead of...Sarah Pailin for example.

Sarah Palin will someday go away. The continued trampling of free speech will not.

I wouldn't call this a violation of free speech..I can still say "faggot" out loud if the situation calls for it..without getting arrested. And I can still play Dire straits on my MP3 player.

Its more like a fail in political correctness if anything.

Could be wrong, but is this a case of banning to the song? or Banning on the airways? Because if it is banning on the airways, than I really think this much smaller problem than it is made out to be. 

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
disolitude said:

lo, pretty funny.

I am pretty sure that most people in US would wish this was one of the problems they were having instead of...Sarah Pailin for example.

Sarah Palin will someday go away. The continued trampling of free speech will not.

Apparently her death threats are rising to unprecedented levels it could be any day now.  It'd be funny if she got shot because the media briefly linked some crazy person to her without doing any research on the matter.

Well, not funny but it'd be something.

disolitude said:
rocketpig said:
disolitude said:

lo, pretty funny.

I wouldn't call this a violation of free speech..I can still say "faggot" out loud if the situation calls for it..without getting arrested. And I can still play Dire straits on my MP3 player.

It is the government controlling expression on a national level. That's free speech.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Acevil said:
disolitude said:
rocketpig said:
disolitude said:

lo, pretty funny.

Could be wrong, but is this a case of banning to the song? or Banning on the airways? Because if it is banning on the airways, than I really think this much smaller problem than it is made out to be. 

Banning it on the radio, lol. Like anyone listens to canadian radio to care...

I have Sirius/XM in the car and in the house so they can ban all they want.

rocketpig said:
Acevil said:

Since it seems I am one sided: CBSC has made a lot of stupid decisions in the past, because simply they think be their actions results in everyone being satisfied. Good thing they don't control the contents of books, or maybe we would have words removed out of our books. 

I'd hate to see what those morons would do to Mark Twain's catalog of novels.

This is so bloody dumb that I can't even wrap my head around it.

Well you know it's  not just Canada with Mark Twain. (depending what it looks like there.)  Some publishing company is publising a new edition without the word nigger.   Replacing it with Slave.

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/wildlife/leave-my-huck-finn-alone-1.1840392

Not banning or anything like the case about.. but dumb.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
rocketpig said:
Acevil said:

Since it seems I am one sided: CBSC has made a lot of stupid decisions in the past, because simply they think be their actions results in everyone being satisfied. Good thing they don't control the contents of books, or maybe we would have words removed out of our books. 

Well you know it's  not just Canada with Mark Twain. (depending what it looks like there.)  Some publishing company is publising a new edition without the word nigger.   Replacing it with Slave.

Well we allow students in Grade 9 to read To Kill a Mockingbird uncensored. Don't know if schools offer Mark Twain. 

rocketpig said:
disolitude said:
rocketpig said:
disolitude said:

lo, pretty funny.

It is the government controlling expression on a national level. That's free speech.

Knowing how things work in Canada, I am pretty sure this was a case of...

Government Dude1: "Another old, bitter person complained about Dire Straits's song today"

Government Dude2: "This is the 10th time in a week"

Dude1: "We have to submit a report to Mr. Harper every time this happens as he has nothing better to do these days"

Dude2: "Screw that, too much work...just ban the song on radio which old people listen to... CBC"

Dude1: "sounds good"

And here we are...

Acevil said:
Kasz216 said:
rocketpig said:
Acevil said:

Well we allow students in Grade 9 to read To Kill a Mockingbird uncensored. Don't know if schools offer Mark Twain. 

9th grade?  That was in our 6th grade slow readers class... I never did get a chance to read that cause I was actually in the advanced reading class.  Guess reading levels didn't really mean anything except segregating the students so some weren't held back or left behind.  Why different books would be read then though I dunno.

Kasz216 said:
rocketpig said:
Acevil said:

A much more respectful word.

Kasz216 said:
rocketpig said:
Acevil said:

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/wildlife/leave-my-huck-finn-alone-1.1840392

Not banning or anything like the case about.. but dumb.

Wow, that's infinitely worse than the banning of Money for Nothing.