By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP2 as powerful as PS3, said Sony

And you guys thought the 3DS battery expectancy was bad... :P 

Around the Network

who knows maybe sony will surprise us with the battery. if apple can make a 10 hour battery for the ipad why cant sony make it for the psp2? then again sony does have bad batteries. i bought a new vaio 2 months ago and it only has a 3 nd half hour battery.

KungKras said:

Well, that's actually a pretty interresting take on it.

But how would Sony be better equipped than Nintnedo to compete against the likes of farmville? If the PSP2 is as powerful as many belive (which is logical considering that there has to be a leap over the PSP) How would Sony utilize such a device to compete against farmville better than Nintendo? People would not buy a $300-$200 farmville and flash games machine.

I think that whatever non-gaming feature Sony adds to the PSP2 will always be greatly outshined by the non-gaming features of ipods or smartphones, which can do light gaming farmville style better than any dedicated console, because they are basically portable computers.

My argument is this. Console gaming and computer gaming are different. Computer gaming has never proven to take away any marketshare from console gaming.Why they are different is because computers are utility machines, and consoles are game machines. You buy a console for its games. People bought a Nintnedo DS for Nintendogs, whereas with games like farmville would probably not move any hardware on a console.

I don't think making PSP2 into an utility machine would do it any good, becasue there are better utility machines out there, which leaves only the games as a reason to buy it.

Why would Sony be competing against Farmville etc? They wouldn't be. They would be using Farmville and other similar titles to compete against Nintendo.

Non gaming features don't hurt if they are effectively free and come from either software development or the natural hardware thats used to play games anyway. Even if they don't compete with the iTouch or whatever, it wouldn't hurt to have them.

A smart phone is effectively a console in the same way as the PSP is effectively a console as well. Theres no PC in this picture, completely different model. Anyway given the fact the PSP found a niche with a given feature set, they could possibly find a stronger niche if they manage to create the handheld in the right way.

Tease.

No it's not the case, games will look as good because of the screen, but no way it's as powerful as the PS3.

nice, so 4 year old psp tech sold at 250$ one year ago... should we just add a 0?

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

Given the lower resolution of the screen, they should be able to reach ps3-level visuals while using far less power than the ps3 requires to output at 720p.

That being said, it'll still need a lot of power for a handheld, and I doubt it have that level of visual fidelity.

This just reminds me of the claims that MGS 3DS was using ps3-level models or whatever.

hopefully it doesn get the short end of the stick like the ps3 did from third party developers

Sony also said that the PSP would be as powerful as the PS2.  While the PSP IS powerful, there's some things that the PS2 did better.  We'll see.

Squilliam said:
KungKras said:

Well, that's actually a pretty interresting take on it.

But how would Sony be better equipped than Nintnedo to compete against the likes of farmville? If the PSP2 is as powerful as many belive (which is logical considering that there has to be a leap over the PSP) How would Sony utilize such a device to compete against farmville better than Nintendo? People would not buy a $300-$200 farmville and flash games machine.

I think that whatever non-gaming feature Sony adds to the PSP2 will always be greatly outshined by the non-gaming features of ipods or smartphones, which can do light gaming farmville style better than any dedicated console, because they are basically portable computers.

My argument is this. Console gaming and computer gaming are different. Computer gaming has never proven to take away any marketshare from console gaming.Why they are different is because computers are utility machines, and consoles are game machines. You buy a console for its games. People bought a Nintnedo DS for Nintendogs, whereas with games like farmville would probably not move any hardware on a console.

I don't think making PSP2 into an utility machine would do it any good, becasue there are better utility machines out there, which leaves only the games as a reason to buy it.

Why would Sony be competing against Farmville etc? They wouldn't be. They would be using Farmville and other similar titles to compete against Nintendo.

Non gaming features don't hurt if they are effectively free and come from either software development or the natural hardware thats used to play games anyway. Even if they don't compete with the iTouch or whatever, it wouldn't hurt to have them.

A smart phone is effectively a console in the same way as the PSP is effectively a console as well. Theres no PC in this picture, completely different model. Anyway given the fact the PSP found a niche with a given feature set, they could possibly find a stronger niche if they manage to create the handheld in the right way.

The way you download apps and manage media with smartphone devices makes them, essentially portable PC's more than any handheld console ever will be. They sell on features, and not game libraries. They technically be consoles, but in this discussion, I use console as a term to describe a dedicated gaming machine.

And like I said, people would always rather play music from their iPhone than their PSP. Adding non-gaming stuff won't hurt Sony, but it won't help them either, just like the other high end consoles with non-gaming functions still only won ground on the strength of games.

Also, why would Sony suddenly have the power of farmville at their hand. Sony is after all doing the most high end machines out of all console manufacturers, and they are a big supporter of the blockbuster games model. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the first victim of this fictional iPhone disruption.

I LOVE ICELAND!

$1 billion MSRP #confirmed