By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 and 360 gap grow or close in 2011?

Michael-5 said:
I asked people if I was missing games in that link. Hyperdimension Neptunia is definatly one I missed, the others you mentioned I have never heard about, and isn't PixelJunk and arcade game?

Which 360 exclusives listed are not confirmed exclusives? The list wasn't made by me, I just added to it, so I would like to know,

As for your coment on 360 selling more during christmas, that was only last years trend. In 2009, the 360 was outselling the PS3 during the year, and the PS3 outsold the 360 in christmas and in 2008 it was opposite that again, exept during the year sales were pretty tied. So there is no garentee PS3 will outsell the 360 during the year. In 2010 PS3 started strong due to the effect of the PS3 Slim/Price cut, I think Kinect will do MS the same boost. So maybe in Fall 2011, if sony does something smart, they could lead the fall. We don't know. However looking at sales now 360 was below PS3 due to shortages, and now 360 is slightly ahead of PS3. Next week PS3 won't get the small boost LBP2 gave, but 360 should still hold strong.

Wait, Sony's IP's this year are fresh, but 360 isn't? How is Uncharted 3 "fresher" then Gears of War 3. How is Resistance 3, and Kilzone 3 "fresher" then Forza 4, and Steel Batallion? This sounds pretty biased to me. Both the PS3 lineup and 360 lineup are heavily focused on sequels. You probably are just more interested in PS3 sequels, but that doesn't mean that it's lineup is therefore "fresher."

Star Ocean is on PS3 only as the international version, and I forgot that was released outside of Japan. Still, MS and Tri-Ace had an exclusivity agreement, I guess Star Ocean, like Final Fantasy XIII was too good to keep on one console. Personally I believe The Last Remnant wasn't ported because they built the game for the 360, and due to the different way the PS3 performs, it just couldn't run on the PS3. Anyway, this is off topic.

Yeah pixel junk is an arcade game, I'm pretty sure a few on the 360 list were going to be, as for games that aren't confirmed exclusive, pretty much anything in early development that MS isn't a part of development/publishing, announced and confirmed are two different things and with all those rumored titles and 3rd party titles I can easily see many going multiplat (I doubt many of them will release in 2011 on either system though)

I think the only reason 360 is holding the lead is because of Modern Warfare (those stupid map pack adds with the 360 logo, so annoying) and that it will die down in a few weeks, Sony has a new game pretty much every 2ed week where all of 360s exclusives might release near the end of the year if they do, so thats why I think Sony is going to sell more throughout 

I was referring more to LBP and Infamous, frankly I find Killzone getting stale and Uncharted a little bit too, I think the 3rd one is coming out too soon, but since Sony actually has other games coming out it's a non-issue same can't be said for 360, Alan Wake didn't even manage a million and was very much a long afternoon one time playthrough game, nothing wrong with that but the word average comes to mind, Sony has had it's share of screw ups for exclusives too (Haze) but they just seem to have more quality games everytime after the dust settles and far more quality new IPs

Dude they were 2 weeks away from having it done, and PS3 has twice the raw power of 360 if it couldn't run on ps3 it was due to VERY poor coding, anyways I'm guessing it just wasn't worth it either way, if it was a commercial success it would have been ported 

Around the Network
DarkintheLight said:
Michael-5 said:
I asked people if I was missing games in that link. Hyperdimension Neptunia is definatly one I missed, the others you mentioned I have never heard about, and isn't PixelJunk and arcade game?

Which 360 exclusives listed are not confirmed exclusives? The list wasn't made by me, I just added to it, so I would like to know,

As for your coment on 360 selling more during christmas, that was only last years trend. In 2009, the 360 was outselling the PS3 during the year, and the PS3 outsold the 360 in christmas and in 2008 it was opposite that again, exept during the year sales were pretty tied. So there is no garentee PS3 will outsell the 360 during the year. In 2010 PS3 started strong due to the effect of the PS3 Slim/Price cut, I think Kinect will do MS the same boost. So maybe in Fall 2011, if sony does something smart, they could lead the fall. We don't know. However looking at sales now 360 was below PS3 due to shortages, and now 360 is slightly ahead of PS3. Next week PS3 won't get the small boost LBP2 gave, but 360 should still hold strong.

Wait, Sony's IP's this year are fresh, but 360 isn't? How is Uncharted 3 "fresher" then Gears of War 3. How is Resistance 3, and Kilzone 3 "fresher" then Forza 4, and Steel Batallion? This sounds pretty biased to me. Both the PS3 lineup and 360 lineup are heavily focused on sequels. You probably are just more interested in PS3 sequels, but that doesn't mean that it's lineup is therefore "fresher."

Star Ocean is on PS3 only as the international version, and I forgot that was released outside of Japan. Still, MS and Tri-Ace had an exclusivity agreement, I guess Star Ocean, like Final Fantasy XIII was too good to keep on one console. Personally I believe The Last Remnant wasn't ported because they built the game for the 360, and due to the different way the PS3 performs, it just couldn't run on the PS3. Anyway, this is off topic.

Yeah pixel junk is an arcade game, I'm pretty sure a few on the 360 list were going to be, as for games that aren't confirmed exclusive, pretty much anything in early development that MS isn't a part of development/publishing, announced and confirmed are two different things and with all those rumored titles and 3rd party titles I can easily see many going multiplat (I doubt many of them will release in 2011 on either system though)

I think the only reason 360 is holding the lead is because of Modern Warfare (those stupid map pack adds with the 360 logo, so annoying) and that it will die down in a few weeks, Sony has a new game pretty much every 2ed week where all of 360s exclusives might release near the end of the year if they do, so thats why I think Sony is going to sell more throughout 

I was referring more to LBP and Infamous, frankly I find Killzone getting stale and Uncharted a little bit too, I think the 3rd one is coming out too soon, but since Sony actually has other games coming out it's a non-issue same can't be said for 360, Alan Wake didn't even manage a million and was very much a long afternoon one time playthrough game, nothing wrong with that but the word average comes to mind, Sony has had it's share of screw ups for exclusives too (Haze) but they just seem to have more quality games everytime after the dust settles and far more quality new IPs

Dude they were 2 weeks away from having it done, and PS3 has twice the raw power of 360 if it couldn't run on ps3 it was due to VERY poor coding, anyways I'm guessing it just wasn't worth it either way, if it was a commercial success it would have been ported 

I looked over the 360 games on the link back above, none of them are arcade games. As for Timed exclusives, yea MechWarrior and Dead Island are likely to be timed exclusives, but they will still boost hardware sales respectfully. In the end, thats what were dabating. Still most of the titles named are either published by MS, or Kinect titles. At best only about 4 of the 360 titles will transfer over, and probably 1 PS3 title will transfer over too. Either way, it's still going to be close, whether the gap grows or shrink, it won't by much.

As for Map Packs for CoD, I don't think those are boosting sales in February. Most CoD gamers extreme enough to get a map pack probably bought CoD in the holiday season, or more likely years ago. I doubt a significant amount of people would buy a 360 just because a CoD Map pack came out, but not get the console when the game came out. At least 360 sales shouldn't be boosted over LBP2's hardware boost as LBP is one of Sony's biggest franchises.

It took me longer to beat Alan Wake then Heavy Rain. Heavy Rain I beat in 1 sit-through, Alan Wake I took two, but they were shorter. Both games were phenominal, so your point about Alan Wake not being "fresh" is just completly one sided. It's no different then Heavy Rain.

As for 2011 titles, the 360 is getting more new IP's, so again, your PS3 has a "fresher" lineup doesn't hold. It's just a one sided arguement.

You just like Sony games more, but that doesn't mean everyone shares your view. My three favorite IP's this generation happen to be Mass Effect, Gears, Forza, Metroid, and Smash Bros. Uncharted was good, but about on par with Halo if you ask me, and well I just prefer 360 titles.

PS3 and 360 run differently. PS3 has more processing power, but it's split up into multiple cores. So in the end it has a higher bus speed, but it requires more RAM to run the same engines as the 360. In the end PS3 can handle multiple object better (Hence GT5 has 16 cars, but Forza only has 8), draw distanes are further and blue ray disks hold more data so HD cinematics are easier to implement. At the same time textures and loading are faster on the 360, and high polygon objects run more smoothly. Push a 360, and the game won't run on PS3, push a PS3 and the game won't run on 360. Simply as that. They probably has issues with the loading because even on 360 it's glitchy.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

I think THE Kinect effect will make the gap grow. They just need to not forget about there core audience and I think they will not forget. They will have both, companies will make games just for kinect and that will fill in for exclusive kinect games and  Exclusive core games can be focused on by othes.

DarkintheLight said:
Michael-5 said:

Alan Wake is on the verge of a million and was a great game. No where near to average and I bet you never looked into Alan Wake more then reading or Screen scans to the game. Alan Wake IS by far one of the best horrow games besides Dead space.

The word biased comes to mind. Yes, thats exactly what comes to mind.

I think that the gap will close this year as the PS3 has tons of AAA exclusive games coming out comparing to MS of only 2-3. This will be the year the PS3 will shine with so many excellent games on the console there is no denying that alot of hardcore gamers will jump ship over to the PS3. I already know quite a few people already abandoned the xbox for the PS3 for this reason. The other reason would be the terrible hardware quality of xbox 360. 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
homer said:
Michael-5 said:
DarkintheLight said:

The gap is going to close for sure, MS is just out of ammo as far as games go, I don't see kinect having very good legs and you can only advertise so much before people get annoyed, ps3 has a ton of games coming the one thing about that is that most of them are sequels to a game thats already on ps3, (same with 360 and the few games it has) frankly I think the last guardian is going to be the best system seller, it's pretty much the only thing that stands out as not being more of the same out of pretty much every game thats going to be announced on the systems (wii and pc included) at any-rate ps3 has been outselling 360 pretty consistently yearly and this year the odds seem stacked in Sony's favor 

So Kingdoms, Gears 3, Forza 4, some cool Kinect exclusives like Panzer Dragoon, and one more big title, and I think MS's lineup has just as much software as PS3.

I strongly disagree. When you compare the sheer amount of quality software announced for the ps3, there is no comparsion at this point. MS software looks bleak at the moment. It will get better, but as of right now, they lose hands down. As for the rest of your points in your original post, I agree.

Note:All my statements are refferring to the software announced for this year.

as ever I shall respond with... 

you are allowed to buy games already out you know...  new adopters are buying the back catalogue too.

the 360 has a more highly rated game library than any other current gen console.

http://factsvsfanboys.com/

The PS3 has more and better exclusives than the 360. I don't say you're a fanboy but you need to get your facts right. ;)

It will shrink in warpspeed if you ask me. People who bought the 360 got it because they like games like Gears, MW3 and Halo and not because they want to play casual Kinect games. Considering the exclusive games Sony has in the pipline it will be very hard for core gamers not to get tempted into buying a ps3 as well, especially with the new found focus of MS on the casual market. 

Off course you could say MS is bringing in a whole new audience with Kinect, but they are also alienating they current fanbase. Besides it are mostly the current 360 owners who bought the Kinect in the first place. 

Michael-5 said:
DarkintheLight said:
Michael-5 said:

I looked over the 360 games on the link back above, none of them are arcade games. As for Timed exclusives, yea MechWarrior and Dead Island are likely to be timed exclusives, but they will still boost hardware sales respectfully. In the end, thats what were dabating. Still most of the titles named are either published by MS, or Kinect titles. At best only about 4 of the 360 titles will transfer over, and probably 1 PS3 title will transfer over too. Either way, it's still going to be close, whether the gap grows or shrink, it won't by much.

As for Map Packs for CoD, I don't think those are boosting sales in February. Most CoD gamers extreme enough to get a map pack probably bought CoD in the holiday season, or more likely years ago. I doubt a significant amount of people would buy a 360 just because a CoD Map pack came out, but not get the console when the game came out. At least 360 sales shouldn't be boosted over LBP2's hardware boost as LBP is one of Sony's biggest franchises.

It took me longer to beat Alan Wake then Heavy Rain. Heavy Rain I beat in 1 sit-through, Alan Wake I took two, but they were shorter. Both games were phenominal, so your point about Alan Wake not being "fresh" is just completly one sided. It's no different then Heavy Rain.

As for 2011 titles, the 360 is getting more new IP's, so again, your PS3 has a "fresher" lineup doesn't hold. It's just a one sided arguement.

You just like Sony games more, but that doesn't mean everyone shares your view. My three favorite IP's this generation happen to be Mass Effect, Gears, Forza, Metroid, and Smash Bros. Uncharted was good, but about on par with Halo if you ask me, and well I just prefer 360 titles.

PS3 and 360 run differently. PS3 has more processing power, but it's split up into multiple cores. So in the end it has a higher bus speed, but it requires more RAM to run the same engines as the 360. In the end PS3 can handle multiple object better (Hence GT5 has 16 cars, but Forza only has 8), draw distanes are further and blue ray disks hold more data so HD cinematics are easier to implement. At the same time textures and loading are faster on the 360, and high polygon objects run more smoothly. Push a 360, and the game won't run on PS3, push a PS3 and the game won't run on 360. Simply as that. They probably has issues with the loading because even on 360 it's glitchy.

By my count on that list has 5 games that can come out on ps3 3 of them which could happen before launch and the ps3 list doesn't have a single game that will transfer over all of them Sony owns or has ties to and again the majority of the 360 list isn't even going to be released in 2011, hell that gears kinect game has epic as the dev but they went multiplat that game isn't even going to come out I can't see more then half that list coming out this year most of them are TBA

Not the map packs, the ads for them, they see a modern warefare commercial and the xbox logo at the end, it's bumping 360 sales 

Heavy Rain did far better commercially then Alan Wake, it blew away expectations where Alan wake undersold, personally I think they are both average but Heavy Rain was more unique and again Sony has several exclusives it can match every exclusive that did decently on 360 and double it 

Again the majority of those games aren't going to come out in 2011, they seem like twisted metal and last guardian back in 2009, we know that they are in the making and we know a bit about them but they aren't anywhere close to release I count only 1 (codename kingdoms) new IP that is announced for 2011 and it looks like it could be delayed too, when the end of the years come ps3 will have more new IPs on the market and far more exclusives

Thats 5 learn to count and 3 aren't new IPs this gen losing more credibility here 

Like I said unless it was very badly programmed which it seems to have been if the 360 version is glitch ridden, the game was a failure by pretty much any definition, it wasn't worth their effort to port it because it did so badly, I don't see how thats an advantage for 360 honestly  

EDIT: just found a far more in-depth list of 2011 ps3 exclusives 

http://www.gametrailers.com/users/Dragun619/gamepad/?action=viewblog&id=514597

Granted many of those won't make it out by the end of the year and it includes pc/ps3 games, but hey it's the same for your 360 list 

bannedagain said:

Alan Wake is on the verge of a million and was a great game. No where near to average and I bet you never looked into Alan Wake more then reading or Screen scans to the game. Alan Wake IS by far one of the best horrow games besides Dead space.

The word biased comes to mind. Yes, thats exactly what comes to mind.

It had a ton of hype and more advertising then most games and still hasn't cracked a million, it was a commercial failure, and shinning a flashlight and shooting at the same enemies over and over isn't exactly revolutionary, and there isn't exactly a lot of competition in horror, the game wasn't as good as it should of been, it's decent for sure, but it's just underwhelming, I own mostly ps3 exclusives so maybe I'm just used to higher quality games

kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
kowenicki said:
homer said:
Michael-5 said:
DarkintheLight said:

The gap is going to close for sure, MS is just out of ammo as far as games go, I don't see kinect having very good legs and you can only advertise so much before people get annoyed, ps3 has a ton of games coming the one thing about that is that most of them are sequels to a game thats already on ps3, (same with 360 and the few games it has) frankly I think the last guardian is going to be the best system seller, it's pretty much the only thing that stands out as not being more of the same out of pretty much every game thats going to be announced on the systems (wii and pc included) at any-rate ps3 has been outselling 360 pretty consistently yearly and this year the odds seem stacked in Sony's favor 

So Kingdoms, Gears 3, Forza 4, some cool Kinect exclusives like Panzer Dragoon, and one more big title, and I think MS's lineup has just as much software as PS3.

I strongly disagree. When you compare the sheer amount of quality software announced for the ps3, there is no comparsion at this point. MS software looks bleak at the moment. It will get better, but as of right now, they lose hands down. As for the rest of your points in your original post, I agree.

Note:All my statements are refferring to the software announced for this year.

as ever I shall respond with... 

you are allowed to buy games already out you know...  new adopters are buying the back catalogue too.

the 360 has a more highly rated game library than any other current gen console.

http://factsvsfanboys.com/

The PS3 has more and better exclusives than the 360. I don't say you're a fanboy but you need to get your facts right. ;)

new buyers are only allowed to buy exclusives?

I just looked at metacritic and see that the 360 has FAR more highly rated games than any other current gen console... 

you will find that those are multiplats who scored a little higher on 360 then they did ps3 not exclusives