By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS to use friend codes

Anoop over at Andriasang has translated a recent interview in Famitsu about SSFIV's online multiplayer on 3DS, and it reveals that the 3DS will indeed be using friend codes, much like the DS/Wii:

You'll be able to select from three types of play: "quick match," which pairs you up with an opponent instantly, "custom match," which lets finds an opponent based off conditions that you've set, and "friend match", which lets you select an opponent from your friend list. You add players to your friend list by exchanging friend codes.

UPDATE 4:57 -- Regarding the friend codes and friend list, Famitsu does not make any mention about these being game-specific or universal across the 3DS system. We'll presumably have to wait for clarification from Nintendo.

Hopefully they'll at least be universal.

A lot of the news this past week has made me somewhat disappointed in the 3DS as an actual piece of hardware.  It's looking to have the best software line up of any new console ever, but between the probable price, region locking, friend codes, and questionable battery life (though we still need more details on this last point), I find the actual device isn't turning out as good as I hoped it would.

It's ultimately all about the games, though, and things are looking great on that front.

Around the Network

They better be universal, or someone needs to tell Nintendo that the world has moved on!

Rainbird said:

They better be universal, or someone needs to tell Nintendo that the world has moved on!

Well, they're the market leader.  I'm sure it's hard to see value in what your competitors are doing when you're stomping all over them commercially.

I agree with you- the hardware of the 3DS has some really poor design choices. Software lineup is killer though so what are you gonna do?

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Well thats a disappointment. 

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network

I really hoped they wouldn't use friendcodes... A universal account (like on PSN or XBL) would be so much better.

But anyway, it's mostly about the games, and these are looking great so far. Although I have to say that the Japanese launch line-up doesn't interest me at all; I really hope for some more games for the western launch.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

makingmusic476 said:
Rainbird said:

Well, they're the market leader.  I'm sure it's hard to see value in what your competitors are doing when you're stomping all over them commercially.

Not any more they aren't. In terms of revenue they've fallen from clear market leader to merely a strong market participent.

Tease.

snfr said:

I really hoped they wouldn't use friendcodes... A universal account (like on PSN or XBL) would be so much better.

But anyway, it's mostly about the games, and these are looking great so far. Although I have to say that the Japanese launch line-up doesn't interest me at all; I really hope for some more games for the western launch.

Well, do remember a launch is usually just that a launch. I can't really think of any hardware with actually a killer launch. What is announced on the other hand is awesome. Also Nintendo this is the only thing wrong with you, that should be a really easy fix. 

Squilliam said:
makingmusic476 said:
Rainbird said:

Not any more they aren't. In terms of revenue they've fallen from clear market leader to merely a strong market participent.

In terms of software revenue they still have strong grip above the 50% (I believe it is actually 70% ), the only problem is if you are comparing hardware and include iphone. 

Acevil said:
snfr said:

Well, do remember a launch is usually just that a launch. I can't really think of any hardware with actually a killer launch. What is announced on the other hand is awesome. Also Nintendo this is the only thing wrong with you, that should be a really easy fix. 

Yeah that's probably true.

But well, I still intend to buy it day one because I also want to play some DS games (I don't have a DS); so it doesn't really matter much if it has a killer lineup right from the beginning. I can wait a few weeks, it shouldn't take too long till the first few games that I'm actually interested in will be released, I guess.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3