By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: 3DS is region locked.

Zlejedi said:
Acevil said:

This is bad news for the importing gamers, but honestly as someone who never buys outside the country, it doesn't hurt me.

Easy to say when you live in Canada so you can get anything that was released in english anyway.

I get the comfort of not living in the USA, and the perks of living in the USA. (Given we use to get screwed by some companies on how they release games...like 1 or 2 days late....but that was 2006.)

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:
palancas7 said:

How's that surprising? DSi was already locked.

Wasn't the region lock on DSi ony for DD games and not for retail games?

Anyway no big deal for americans and soccer mums but european jrpg lovers are screwed.

Yes. It was.

Snesboy said:
Zlejedi said:
palancas7 said:

How's that surprising? DSi was already locked.

Wasn't the region lock on DSi ony for DD games and not for retail games?

Anyway no big deal for americans and soccer mums but european jrpg lovers are screwed.

Yes. It was.

I will die laughing if that is the same situation.....

too early to jump to conclusions, better wait for confirmation. Might be a case of things blown out of proportion.

but if true, silly and a bit weired move imo

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Ishar said:

Bad news, it seems to be true

http://www.ruliweb.com/ruliboard/read.htm?num=30071&table=game_nds&main=nds

does anyone speak Japanese to understand this?

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

This would be disappointing, but it wouldn't be surprising given the DSi was region locked.

I hope it's not, however.  I've been importing the occasional game since 2009 or so, and plan to do that even more so in the future to help myself learn Japanese, and the more systems I can play Japanese games on, the better.

This is crap Ninty, I could understand the consoles(kinda) but the portables??? What is the point??? Im annoyed and i live in the US so I can imagine how the Europeans feel. I think ill be getting the other system after all.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

If so, it's probably an anti-piracy thing. Nintendo is far to commercially inclined to do this for fun.

Theres no relation to anti-piracy. Piracy could in fact allow the device to be region free. If anything, thats one more reason to pirate the 3DS. I guess, because of the novelty the 3DS offers, they thought many would want to import it. Thats my guess. Whether or not they do that in order to sell 2 console to importers or to keep track of the market could be discuss.

M.U.G.E.N said:
Ishar said:

Bad news, it seems to be true

http://www.ruliweb.com/ruliboard/read.htm?num=30071&table=game_nds&main=nds

does anyone speak Japanese to understand this?

It's Korean apparently. 

So, have we confirmation from Nintendo yet or are we still jumping to conclusion based on some random sources?