Mummelmann said:
axt113 said:
Seece said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
Seece said:
Smashchu2 said:
Seece said:
Mummelmann said:

Seece, give up, these people don't want to hear such things. NSMBWii is responsible for every single hardware sale the last year and-a half and price doesn't matter etc.

, I know it's like talking to a brick wall, it's kinda embarssing they think NSMB did what they claim though.

Then why did Wii sales magcally jump to 4million in a slow year, still beating out last year's numbers?

Price cut, I don't care if you refuse to believe that, but that's the answer. Just like Wii jumping up massivel this holiday from such a lul summer, all those good value bundle.

All about the $$$

As I said in the post right after yours...

IMO Price doesn't determine system sales but the games, Items, and features do. Yes this includes Motion controls. Price helps determine when a system sells but not how much a system sells in the end.

No offense but I don't think you know what you're talking about or have a clue about the industry and how sales work.

I think he's right

Price didn't move me to buy a Wii, it was the games, the reason I don't care about Kinect or Move, is the lack of games

So the 600$ pricetag was of no hindrance to the PS3 when it launched? Surely, you must be joking. Price is important, that or good value bundles and it is certainly a big part of the puzzle. Software, peripherals, advertising and price are the four cornerstones of marketing and hardware sales and out of all those, price and software are probably tied for first. A 200$ console with a few good games would seem more enticing to an average customer than a 400$ console with lots of good games. When you're selling to the mainstream market, do you think everyone who buys a console knows the extent of the game library on said console? They don't, let me assure you. Do they all see the price tag and consider whether it is affordable or not? Yes, everyone does.

I waited about two years before I got a single console this generation. Why? They were too costly. Cheaper product = more demand is the most base of logic concerning sales of any and all things in this world. Why is it that Nintendo fans, in particular, are loathe to realize this? I just don't understand it.

Exactly...but you wanted one from the beginning didn't you?

I wanted a PS3 before the gen started, thinking it would be amazing, I was also drooling over the Wii before it came out (back when it was the Revolution) but as the gen started it wore off. I still don't see many compelling reasons to own any of the consoles to this day.

Anyway; what does my wanting a console or not from the beginning have to do with anything? The price is what kept me from making a purchase and I'm arguing that the price is an important factor in the purchase of a console. A mainstream customer who hasn't been paying attention, watching E3 feeds, reading hundreds of articles and spent the better part of his life gaming is even less likely than me to purchase an expensive product.

Edit; axt113, the above goes for you as well, what does my wanting a console or not from the start have to do with the point of price being a big factor? Like I said, a mainstream customer is a lot less likely to shell out for a costly console than me, making the point more than valid I should think.

Price does matter as to when somebody decides is the right time to buy a system but in the end in lifetime sales it would have sold the same no matter when price cuts happen.  If the Wii started out at $600 I wouldn't have bought it until it went down to probably $300 but either way I bought it because of its games not because of the price. If PS3 launched at $250 would it have sold better than it did at launch? Yes but its lifetime sales would end up the same. Remember when PS3 got a Price Cut to $300 and it got a big sales boost? That sales boost wouldn't have existed if it had launched at $250. Price Cuts sell systems in short-term but in lifetime sales it doesn't make a difference. 

Around the Network

^Price cuts don't matter on lifetime sales? Now I know you can't be serious. As the console get older and the lifecycle goes on, the news value and demand automatically decrease, that's why we have revisions, new products, updates and successors all the time, its the nature and the very core of the consumer market. Do you actually believe what you're saying or does it simply fit your views to believe it? Price is a big factor in hardware sales, there's no denying it. Why did the Mustang sell so fast? It was affordable. Cutting the price later would not have made it the same phenomenon it became, it caught on as a favourite because of performance at an affordable price and this was paramount to its success. I believe price is what has held back quite a few PSP sales, it launched at a high price and has stayed at a high price. If the Wii had launched at a 600$ price point, people would never have bought them, doubly so when veiwing the hardware specs, it would be laughable (even the PS3 was laughable at that price) and a 250$ entry price PS3 would have been an insanely good deal and there's no doubt that this would have added a lot of sales lifetime.

axt113; where did I say that mainstream customers drool over hardware? I'm making the point that a mainstream customer will think twice about buying a more expensive console and I cannot believe that you guys are even arguing that at all.

Seece said:
Smashchu2 said:
Seece said:
Mummelmann said:

Seece, give up, these people don't want to hear such things. NSMBWii is responsible for every single hardware sale the last year and-a half and price doesn't matter etc.

, I know it's like talking to a brick wall, it's kinda embarssing they think NSMB did what they claim though.

Then why did Wii sales magcally jump to 4million in a slow year, still beating out last year's numbers?

Price cut, I don't care if you refuse to believe that, but that's the answer. Just like Wii jumping up massivel this holiday from such a lul summer, all those good value bundle.

All about the $$$

Hmmm, maybe. It's definatly possible. But perhaps you could tell me: why do we buy these game consoles?

People really dont pay attention to impulse buyers at all. A lower price make the chances of impulse buyers happening.  The Wii really has enjoyed the impulse buy.  People go to a friends house had fun with Wii Sports and then go what the hell why not.  The higher the price the less likely that is to happen.

Also please can we get over that it was the games and nothing but the games that made the Wii sell what it has.

Honestly how many Wii's whould have sold if the exact same games came out, but with standard controllers. I think Wii sales would be far closer to GC sales if WiiSports used a control pad rather than WiiMote.  WiiFit would have done nothing without the WiiMote and the Board. 

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:

People really dont pay attention to impulse buyers at all. A lower price make the chances of impulse buyers happening.  The Wii really has enjoyed the impulse buy.  People go to a friends house had fun with Wii Sports and then go what the hell why not.  The higher the price the less likely that is to happen.

Also please can we get over that it was the games and nothing but the games that made the Wii sell what it has.

Honestly how many Wii's whould have sold if the exact same games came out, but with standard controllers. I think Wii sales would be far closer to GC sales if WiiSports used a control pad rather than WiiMote.  WiiFit would have done nothing without the WiiMote and the Board. 

Actually, I never said it was only the games but that is the main part of it...and duh your stating the obvious when you say that Wii Sports and Wii Fit would fail with a regular controller. I hope that everyone on here recognizes that. I never denied that Wii sold a lot because of Motion controls but that certainly isn't the only reason. Its Motion controls plus the great games that use them...Mario Kart Wii without Motion controls would sell about 7-10 Million lifetime instead of 20 Million plus...New Super Mario Bros. on the Gamecube would have sold 5-8 Million and obviously Wii Sports and Wii Fit would be the stupidest games ever without Motion Controls selling less than 500K lifetime. Also, its not only the Motion controls though...its the fact that the Motion Controls plus great games = a huge success. If the Wii didn't have Motion controls the Wii Series wouldn't exist so yes, the Wii would probably be in last right now but it has them and that combined with the new and unique games makes the Wii a success. Nintendo didn't get the idea to make a Sports game on the G.C that wouldn't make since...the two go together to make it work.

Around the Network

The higher the price the more it can slow a system but the real thing that makes something move slow is if the value is less the what the price is

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems!

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

killeryoshis said:

The higher the price the more it can slow a system but the real thing that makes something move slow is if the value is less the what the price is

Thank you Yoshi! LOL.

@Everyone:

Anyway, my thread is getting off topic...we have different opinions as to why the Wii sells and sold how it did but the real topic was if it could sell to 105 Million by the end of 2011.

I will make another thread to discuss what sells a system...

this thread hopefully will get back on track.

Another week and another week of over 30% decline YoY. In this case using MediaCreate for Japan Wii down 39% YoY. In numbers that is like another 135K.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

So it seems the Wii needs a price or a new SMBW to get to 105 million. I wonder which one will help the most. 

If any game has define the Wii, it's either Wii sports or Wiifit. Those are the types of games that drew in the new market, the extra fans. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)