By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan and WW up 1st Jan

It's nice to see Other M in the Japanese Top 50.

The HW gaps are shrinking fast WW. Will be interesting to see if Wii can manage to stay in the top for another week.

Around the Network
bmmb1 said:

Sigh, VGC yet again show their Wii bias, Media Create had PS3 over Wii yet VGC put Wii over PS3.

Oh, wait...

Now normally I would leave this post at that, but I have to add some sentences here - a few times last year Media Create had PS3 slightly over the Wii in Japan yet VGC had those same weeks the Wii slightly over PS3, and some people called foul, Wii bias, bla bla bla. They know who they are. At the time, once or twice, I wrote that I distinctly remembered occasions where it was the other way around, Media Create had Wii over PS3 yet VGC had PS3 over Wii (just like this week). I was either ignored or even told I was saying bullshit, I no longer recall, probably the former.

Well, there you are - this is not the first time, it actually happened more than a few times, it's just that some people seem to have a selective memory and choose to remember only what seems to serve their agenda,

While 2k is hardly a huge factor, I know I joke about the exact same thing you said, but really it isn't a big deal.

In the end of this console generation will be defined by total sold figures that is in the financial report not trackers like media create, vgc, NPD, and others. 

I really like MH numbers, it's a shame I can't say the same thing about Ninokuni

Zlejedi said:
Squilliam said:

It looks like EMEAA is fairly balanced between the systems but both America and Japan are lopsided towards only two of the home consoles. I believe that the Xbox 360 vs Wii / PS3 gaps will change significantly once we get into the new year, I think the Xbox 360 boost will sustain better from the holidays than the Wii / PS3 respective increases so the gap between the PS3 and 360 will increase relatively if not in absolute terms and between the Wii and 360 it will decrease in relative if not absolute terms because the holiday boost will end but the Kinect boost will sustain itself for at least another couple of quarters.

Seasonality is usually smallest for PS3 due to price point.

Wii should return to 3rd place after holiday boost is over but PS3/X360 should be reduced to virtual tie.

Wii 3rd place? I don't think so. Virtual tie for the PS3/360? I don't think so either. The holiday boost will end, the GT5 boost will end but the Kinect boost has not ended and probably will not for a while to come. Chances are that the sales position will go Wii > 360 > PS3 with the actual differences still to be determined.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Zlejedi said:
Squilliam said:

It looks like EMEAA is fairly balanced between the systems but both America and Japan are lopsided towards only two of the home consoles. I believe that the Xbox 360 vs Wii / PS3 gaps will change significantly once we get into the new year, I think the Xbox 360 boost will sustain better from the holidays than the Wii / PS3 respective increases so the gap between the PS3 and 360 will increase relatively if not in absolute terms and between the Wii and 360 it will decrease in relative if not absolute terms because the holiday boost will end but the Kinect boost will sustain itself for at least another couple of quarters.

Wii should return to 3rd place after holiday boost is over but PS3/X360 should be reduced to virtual tie.

Wii 3rd place? I don't think so. Virtual tie for the PS3/360? I don't think so either. The holiday boost will end, the GT5 boost will end but the Kinect boost has not ended and probably will not for a while to come. Chances are that the sales position will go Wii > 360 > PS3 with the actual differences still to be determined.

then a ps3 price cut comes and ita all sept 2009 , you don 't know how easily these things changes

Around the Network
ps3_jrpg_gamer said:
Squilliam said:
Zlejedi said:
Squilliam said:

then a ps3 price cut comes and ita all sept 2009 , you don 't know how easily these things changes

At the same time, nintendo and microsoft could easily respond and bring back the status quo. 

Usually Wii sequels sell worse than the original games, but Just Dance 2 is selling like crazy. I mean, it might pass GT5 next week. Holy balls!

Skeeuk said:

less that 100k diff with ps3 and 360, with 360 at a lower price and huge kinect marketing ps3 is doing pretty good.

You just couldn't go and comment without making some underhanded remark?

Great sales all around, I still find it amazing how Wii maintains above DS despite being a console and not a handheld! And Kinect Adventures edges out into 1st for SW due to the large Wii drop in Americas!

Good numbers, next week should be interesting.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

And those Just Dance 2 numbers.. pmg.. 

I'll be honest, played it around a friends party and kinda liked it despite not being into that kind of shizz. x)

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

ps3_jrpg_gamer said:
Squilliam said:

If Sony can cut the PS3 to $199 then Microsoft can cut the Arcade to $129 and the 250GB to $199 and the Arcade Kinect 360 to $199-229. The relative pricing won't shift much even if Sony cuts the price because both Nintendo and Microsoft are taking much higher gross margins and operating margins than Sony. If Sony cannot cut the price to $199 then Microsoft can still cut the price to the above if it met their overall business objectives and have better relative pricing vs the PS3 compared to today. A price cut is only assured to improve the PS3's absolute sales position and not its relative sales position compared to the other two console makers.

PS: If Microsoft does cut the price like the above, you better tape your nuts to your leg because they have the operating margins to sustain an even bigger advertising campaign than they did this year to promote it and sales will assplode.

Tease.