By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan and WW up 1st Jan

palancas7 said:

Wah? We have PS3 ahead in Japan?

Actually, one particular thing interest me the most is the ps3 hardware sale in japan -- the ps3 software doesn't looks like matching how their hardware sold at this week( based from the top 20 software list, PS3 hw > sw with a 11k margin, until we bring the no.24 title into comparsion which make the ps3 SW barely match the HW number).

Not saying vgc's number is off (mediacreate give similar ps3 hw number so there's no complaint), but how come the ps3 software sold poorly when the hardware top the home console chart? Is people in Japan buy their PS3 solely for blu-ray watching or something else? Just curious

Around the Network

Wow, nice WW and crazy Japanese week!

RafaelOrix said:

I wonder why PS3 increased and all others are down (by a considerable amount) in Japan.

Maybe they started clearance sales early after Xmas and PS3 happened to be kept back by its higher price there, so discounts boosted its sales more.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Black Ops is at 19.5 million after 2 months on sale. Good lord.

samho said:
palancas7 said:

Actually, one particular thing interest me the most is the ps3 hardware sale in japan -- the ps3 software doesn't looks like matching how their hardware sold at this week( based from the top 20 software list, PS3 hw > sw with a 11k margin, until we bring the no.24 title into comparsion which make the ps3 SW barely match the HW number).

Not saying vgc's number is off (mediacreate give similar ps3 hw number so there's no complaint), but how come the ps3 software sold poorly when the hardware top the home console chart? Is people in Japan buy their PS3 solely for blu-ray watching or something else? Just curious

Sony systems usually see boost in Japan during this week even though everything else goes down. PSP didn't this year as it was already selling so much and it had some shortages. Maybe during holidays parents tend to buy more Wii and DS for kids but when they also get some money as present especially teens  go to buy more hardcore system as PS3.

KillerMan said:
samho said:
palancas7 said:

Sony systems usually see boost in Japan during this week even though everything else goes down. PSP didn't this year as it was already selling so much and it had some shortages. Maybe during holidays parents tend to buy more Wii and DS for kids but when they also get some money as present especially teens go to buy more hardcore system as PS3.

Makes sense.

Around the Network

Oh yeah i forgotten to add

PSP in Japan > DS in Japan in VGC ;)

Japan Hardware

Console Yearly (change) Total
PSP 2,895,888 ( 27%) 16,586,333
DS 2,882,280 (-28%) 32,381,822
Wii 1,648,030 (-18%) 11,323,452
PS3 1,554,342 (-15%) 6,141,151
X360 211,105 (-38%) 1,442,584
PS2 89,678 (-60%) 23,114,321
Total 9,281,323(-13%)  

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

less that 100k diff with ps3 and 360, with 360 at a lower price and huge kinect marketing ps3 is doing pretty good.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

It looks like EMEAA is fairly balanced between the systems but both America and Japan are lopsided towards only two of the home consoles. I believe that the Xbox 360 vs Wii / PS3 gaps will change significantly once we get into the new year, I think the Xbox 360 boost will sustain better from the holidays than the Wii / PS3 respective increases so the gap between the PS3 and 360 will increase relatively if not in absolute terms and between the Wii and 360 it will decrease in relative if not absolute terms because the holiday boost will end but the Kinect boost will sustain itself for at least another couple of quarters.

Tease.

Squilliam said:

It looks like EMEAA is fairly balanced between the systems but both America and Japan are lopsided towards only two of the home consoles. I believe that the Xbox 360 vs Wii / PS3 gaps will change significantly once we get into the new year, I think the Xbox 360 boost will sustain better from the holidays than the Wii / PS3 respective increases so the gap between the PS3 and 360 will increase relatively if not in absolute terms and between the Wii and 360 it will decrease in relative if not absolute terms because the holiday boost will end but the Kinect boost will sustain itself for at least another couple of quarters.

Seasonality is usually smallest for PS3 due to price point.

Wii should return to 3rd place after holiday boost is over but PS3/X360 should be reduced to virtual tie.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Sigh, VGC yet again show their Wii bias, Media Create had PS3 over Wii yet VGC put Wii over PS3 in Japan.

Oh, wait...

Now normally I would leave this post at that, but I have to add some sentences here - a few times last year Media Create had PS3 slightly over the Wii in Japan yet VGC had those same weeks the Wii slightly over PS3, and some people called foul, Wii bias, bla bla bla. They know who they are. At the time, once or twice, I wrote that I distinctly remembered occasions where it was the other way around, Media Create had Wii over PS3 yet VGC had PS3 over Wii (just like this week). I was either ignored or even told I was saying bullshit, I no longer recall, probably the former.

Well, there you are - this is not the first time, it actually happened more than a few times, it's just that some people seem to have a selective memory and choose to remember only what seems to serve their agenda,

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin