By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: Gran Turismo 5 Has Sold 5.5 Million Worldwide

jarrod said:
psrock said:

This thread gave me a migraine reading it.

Now, GT5 is on its second shipment in Japan where a few people here keep calling it a flop, but somehow think Sony hasn't shipped new copies in the place the game is doing great. What's sad is the fact people defend these things depending on the console they follow.

I think Sony's shipped more after that 2 week benchmark, but I also don't think these figures are sold through.  The two statements aren't mutually exclusive, Sony's just using an old figure.

And Japan is a flop, 2nd shipment or not.  It's sold in the same range as RGG4 and Hokuto Musou (550k-ish) which is something I think NO ONE really saw coming.  I was given hell for saying it wouldn't crack a million, but even I still figured like 800k plus. :/

No one? Sony shipped just 550k so they expected that... no surprise.

And I keep my prediction... 1M in Japan is possible a long term.

Around the Network

1ST SHIPMENT FIGURES

JP: 550k - Sold 10k more (2nd shipment)
NA: 1,250k - Sold 22k more (2nd shipment)
EMEAA: 3,720k - 640k to 2nd shipment

By these numbers EMEAA was the only place that not sold what Sony expected. EMEAA disappoint me.

ethomaz said:
jarrod said:
psrock said:

This thread gave me a migraine reading it.

Now, GT5 is on its second shipment in Japan where a few people here keep calling it a flop, but somehow think Sony hasn't shipped new copies in the place the game is doing great. What's sad is the fact people defend these things depending on the console they follow.

I think Sony's shipped more after that 2 week benchmark, but I also don't think these figures are sold through.  The two statements aren't mutually exclusive, Sony's just using an old figure.

And Japan is a flop, 2nd shipment or not.  It's sold in the same range as RGG4 and Hokuto Musou (550k-ish) which is something I think NO ONE really saw coming.  I was given hell for saying it wouldn't crack a million, but even I still figured like 800k plus. :/

No one? Sony shipped just 550k so they expected that... no surprise.

And I keep my prediction... 1M in Japan is possible a long term.

Sony doesn't control the ceiling on JP shipments, retailers do.  550k could've been well less than Sony "expected"... shipments aren't expectations or projections company side.

ethomaz said:

1ST SHIPMENT FIGURES

JP: 550k - Sold 10k more (2nd shipment)
NA: 1,250k - Sold 22k more (2nd shipment)
EMEAA: 3,720k - 640k to 2nd shipment

By these numbers EMEAA was the only place that not sold what Sony expected. EMEAA disappoint me.

You do realize that Sony can't just force shops to take shipments right?  Sony could of expected 1M... and they aren't going to be able to convince stores to take on any more then they order.

You can only ship as many games as the shops order.

For the shops it was no disapointment.  For Sony... can't really say since companies don't admit failures unless it's disasterous and the rest of the sales have been good.

kitler53 said:

horray!! another 15 page thread of meaningless banter over the meaning of the word "sold" to sift through later today!!

woow O_O you where totally right xD first person said it literally just after you said this lololol.

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Around the Network

nice sales

End of 2016 prediction

PS4:43M-46M

XBONE:28M-33M

I don't understand...so, does it mean that in the end GT5 is overtracked?

DavidValbu said:

How would this possibly mean GT5 is being overtracked?

DavidValbu said:

No, it means that Sony merely reported a previous known number for GT5 again.  I'm sure Sony didn't give a new number because this is the only "concrete" number they have.  But, once their financial report is ready and published, we'll have an updated number for GT5 shipments.

Carl2291 said:
DavidValbu said:

How would this possibly mean GT5 is being overtracked?

If this number was the latest shipped figure (they shipped nothing in like a month?), then GT5 would more likely than not be overtracked.

That doesn't seem to be the case, though.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx