By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Official LBP2 Review Thread

Darth Tigris said:

So, did anybody actually READ the Destructoid review or is it simply going to be ripped because it didn't give the game a 10?

The flaws of the first game are preserved and plain to see, and now that the freshness of the previous title is lacking, the problems are that much more glaring. For all its new gimmicks and flashing lights,LittleBigPlanet 2 can still be best described as a great way to make substandard games. It's fun and it's cute and it's something PS3 fans should check out, but it's relying on a concept that was brilliant two years ago, and just isn't enough anymore to catapult the game into true greatness. 

You're good, LittleBigPlanet 2. But you're not quite as brilliant as you want to be. 

Score: 7.5 -- Good (7s are solid games that definitely have an audience. Might lack replay value, could be too short or there are some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.)

the question here is did 'you' read it? let me bold a small part to show you how full of S&$^ he is

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

None of them complained that LBP2 is cute-overload like they did to Epic Yarn?

Unless, of course, they don't consider LBP2 cute?

Galaki said:

None of them complained that LBP2 is cute-overload like they did to Epic Yarn?

Unless, of course, they don't consider LBP2 cute?

I never really considered LBP cute. Sackboy is cute but the art style and the music aren't all that cute and certainly nothing like Kirby. Many levels are actually very grim in the first game.

M.U.G.E.N said:
Darth Tigris said:

So, did anybody actually READ the Destructoid review or is it simply going to be ripped because it didn't give the game a 10?

The flaws of the first game are preserved and plain to see, and now that the freshness of the previous title is lacking, the problems are that much more glaring. For all its new gimmicks and flashing lights,LittleBigPlanet 2 can still be best described as a great way to make substandard games. It's fun and it's cute and it's something PS3 fans should check out, but it's relying on a concept that was brilliant two years ago, and just isn't enough anymore to catapult the game into true greatness. 

You're good, LittleBigPlanet 2. But you're not quite as brilliant as you want to be. 

Score: 7.5 -- Good (7s are solid games that definitely have an audience. Might lack replay value, could be too short or there are some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.)

the question here is did 'you' read it? let me bold a small part to show you how full of S&$^ he is

That isn't the words of Jim Sterling, that is Destructoid's explanation of what a 7.5 could mean.

In the case of Sterling's review it is the case of "some hard-to-ignore faults".

Since LBP1 many have complained about the jump mechanics. They gave the original an 8.5 and it was not Sterling who reviewed it.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Darth Tigris said:

That isn't the words of Jim Sterling, that is Destructoid's explanation of what a 7.5 could mean.

In the case of Sterling's review it is the case of "some hard-to-ignore faults".

Since LBP1 many have complained about the jump mechanics. They gave the original an 8.5 and it was not Sterling who reviewed it.

I know this, I'm pointing from what we know so far from the game, the score it got and the description for that score doesn't match....

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
Euphoria14 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Darth Tigris said:

I know this, I'm pointing from what we know so far from the game, the score it got and the description for that score doesn't match....

However you chose to highlight the one point not brought up in the review at all to dismiss Jim Sterling's opinion of the title.

"Might lack replay value" is brought up for any title receiving this score. It does not mean the game suffers that issue.

As Sterling mentions in his review, the community levels are not accessible with review copies, so all reviews are based on only the story based portion of the game. So he is pretty much saying it is a 7.5 game without including everything else it has to offer, especially since he mentions that it the creation tools will in fact make great things in the future.

It really isn't that bad of a review if you actually read the whole thing.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Euphoria14 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Darth Tigris said:

However you chose to highlight the one point not brought up in the review at all to dismiss Jim Sterling's opinion of the title.

"Might lack replay value" is brought up for any title receiving this score. It does not mean the game suffers that issue.

As Sterling mentions in his review, the community levels are not accessible with review copies, so all reviews are based on only the story based portion of the game. So he is pretty much saying it is a 7.5 game without including everything else it has to offer, especially since he mentions that it the creation tools will in fact make great things in the future.

It really isn't that bad of a review if you actually read the whole thing.

I'd imagine that if the review was read and the score removed, individuals would view it differently.

What's even more unfortunate is how this seemingly low score brings out much more emotion in some than the TONS of perfect or seemingly high scores ...

Darth Tigris said:

I'd imagine that if the review was read and the score removed, individuals would view it differently.

What's even more unfortunate is how this seemingly low score brings out much more emotion in some than the TONS of perfect or seemingly high scores ...

That is one of the big time flaws created by the gaming journalists giving too many games unwarranted super high ratings.

However, with that being said I still believe LittleBigPlanet is one of those titles that truly deserves it's ratings. It truly is something else and is hard to compare to anything else available.

Currently playing:

CGI-Quality said:
Euphoria14 said:
Darth Tigris said:

I still believe LittleBigPlanet is one of those titles that truly deserves it's ratings. It truly is something else and is hard to compare to anything else available.

This would be my intial complaint about the review. I generally bypass the numeric side of and review and listen to what's said and I personally see an inconsistency in the Destructoid review (much like their HR review). When your words are reflected elsewhere, it gives a little more credit to your individual words. In this case, I'm not getting that vibe.

Luckily for me I do not worry about scores, I only care about whether or not not I myself find the title to be fun.

Trinity Universe suckas! 62 on Metacritic.

SaGa Frontier suckas! 73 on Gamerankings.

Nier suckas! 68 on Metacritic.

Mario Party 8 suckas! 62 on Metacritic.

Currently playing:

Darth Tigris said:

Oh PUH-lease.

We gave Sterling many many chances. We had enough and we decided not to waste time with him anymore.

I won't read his review.

I haven't played LBP2 so of course I can't exactly comment on that game but I've played a lot of games that he reviewed and I disagree with him nearly 100% of the times. And I'm far from being the only one.

That says a lot about his credibility as a reviewer.