By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Looks like the trolling is making a lot of gamers silent!

I don't see much of a change....

It was always like this. Sometimes even worse, sometimes a bit better. But still nothing compared to other forums.

Around the Network

While I have my moments of defending the Playstation brand - I never make it a goal of mine to go on other peoples threads talking crap just to stir something up. I have had people quote me and it has made me angry to the point where I would have to go on the defence about what I believe in in terms of gaming this gen.

I'm clearly not trying to clear anything up with my profile. Everyone can plainly see i'm a PS fan lol i just don't understand the crap that people say sometimes. The quote "some peoples kids" always comes to mind.

Proud owner of the PSone original, PSone slim, PS2 slim, PS3 slim, PSP-3000.

37 PS3 games and counting.

What Rol is saying is that you flush out the trolls by burning the bridges they hide under.

Tease.

CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:

What Rol is saying is that you flush out the trolls by burning the bridges they hide under.

So they can build new ones to continue to seek refuge?

You can't flush out every troll, if each moderator had that ability, the trolls would hardly exist in the first place (but as we see, the trolling is increasing). What you CAN do is moderate as best as possible. Many times, a poster who is trolling will receive just a warning, because even though trolling is against site rules, it doesn't always go overboard, necessitating a ban. But with the increase of the troublemakers during an already busy part of the year (the holidays), all moderators can do is hope the reasonable folk of the community report the behavior so it can be dealt with.

Prevention is better than a cure in almost all cases. You only have a certain quantity of policing resources and it isn't available at all times. It is generally better to prevent trolling because otherwise innocent members get caught in the crossfire and get banned as well. Often you'll see several members get banned from one case of trolling, so that form of moderation is a blunt instrument.

Tease.

CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:
CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:

So they can build new ones to continue to seek refuge?

You can't flush out every troll, if each moderator had that ability, the trolls would hardly exist in the first place (but as we see, the trolling is increasing). What you CAN do is moderate as best as possible. Many times, a poster who is trolling will receive just a warning, because even though trolling is against site rules, it doesn't always go overboard, necessitating a ban. But with the increase of the troublemakers during an already busy part of the year (the holidays), all moderators can do is hope the reasonable folk of the community report the behavior so it can be dealt with.

Prevention is better than a cure in almost all cases. You only have a certain quantity of policing resources and it isn't available at all times. It is generally better to prevent trolling because otherwise innocent members get caught in the crossfire and get banned as well. Often you'll see several members get banned from one case of trolling, so that form of moderation is a blunt instrument.

To me, the part about an "innocent" is off. You can/will be banned for rule violation to the extreme. Even a veteran member should be banned/disciplined if they go too far, because in that sense, they're no longer innocent.

As for trolling prevention, if it were that simple, the entire internet would be a much quieter place. If cancer had a prevention, far less humans would die each year. In reality, neither is the case, so you have to work with what you got.

You can't prevent trolls from lurking the site, but like a cockroach, if you see it, squash it right then and there. That's all you can hope for, even if you try to bring in an exterminator (i.e. moderator).

If you leave food out and drop it on the floor all over the place you'll have a lot more cockraoches, no matter how many you spray/squash than if you keep the house clean, thats pretty simple. As for cancer, sure you cannot prevent it for sure however you haven't been taking any baths in pesticide recently have you? Or gone to an Asbestos cleanup without your mask on? Not doing these things is prevention even if it isn't really considered as such.

As for innocent members, the whole idea of a troll is to target fan(boys) of particular things. It is more easily said than done for people to be both passionate and at the same time respond calmy when people deliberately inflame their passions. If you want a place with no trolls you'll get a place with no passion. When you can make a thread saying how much you love Heavy Rain and noone cares, you'll know you're in a place with no passion, do you really want that?

Tease.

Around the Network

VGChartz still has a very good community compared to most other gaming sites, however, there will always be some trolls that will try to spoil things. Since this site is beginning to expand and grow, there will be a good chance that you'll see more trolling on the forums. 

homer said:
Reasonable said:

Of course, given a lot of this is wrong it leads to people hitting back and before you know it threads are exploding into some of the longest, more riduculous quote trains I think I've seen in a while on the site.

If you are reffering to the one between toastboy and me, I apologise. I agree with you 100% though. So many high profile exclusive releases in a relatively short amount of time has gotten the best of most of us.

Didn't see that one actually.  Anyway, in the spirit of a new year consider yourself forgiven.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I quite agree with the angst against those calling mod bias. It seems like every banned user's page i look at that wasn't banned for something completely off-the-wall will have a few usual suspects from one camp or other saying "dumb ban lol. Mod bias" which tempts me to bite back at the people saying that, but that would lead to more of a mess

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

To be honest i do think that some people who have been mods on this site over the years never hould have been alowed anywhere near that kind of power.

That been said i think site is the cleanest in the gaming forums. The only site cleaner is probably gaf but that site is sterile. The is no debate and everyone has the same opiions because someone who thinks differently just gets a ban.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

OP got trolled bad.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.