By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Castlevania belongs on Nintendo consoles.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Beuli2 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

SotN is the highest rated and best selling Castlevania ever, and that was a Playstation game. Sooooo...

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=castlevania

How can you be here as long as you have and post something that ignorant? Those are only Japan sales and all the post SNES Castlevanias flopped there!

@ Mr T
You honestly think with all the acclaim and re-releases Symphony got that it isn't the most successful in the franchise?

Meh.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:

I just realized that such a powerful concentration of people with whom I disagree in so many ways is toxic to my mood and my behavior

I gotta get out of here

Is this why you haven't been posting as much lately?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Khuutra said:

I just realized that such a powerful concentration of people with whom I disagree in so many ways is toxic to my mood and my behavior

I gotta get out of here

Is this why you haven't been posting as much lately?

IDoesn't matter what anyone here says. Itll be ok guys. Things will work out for the best for Castelvania...

Agreed, a new 2D Castlevania - one that stuck to its arcade roots - would be very successful on the Wii. I really enjoyed Order of Ecclesia and I'd love to see a more fleshed out game similar to that on the Wii.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think that "casual" players are the biggest userbase of the Wii, but arcade style players (look at the best sellers, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, NSMB, DKC, Wii Play, etc), and Castlevania, at least traditional Castlevania, is very much an arcade style game.

Khuutra said:

I gotta get out of here

That is indeed true. That is why I bailed from Gamepro and joined this site.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

Agreed, a new 2D Castlevania - one that stuck to its arcade roots - would be very successful on the Wii. I really enjoyed Order of Ecclesia and I'd love to see a more fleshed out game similar to that on the Wii.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think that "casual" players are the biggest userbase of the Wii, but arcade style players (look at the best sellers, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, NSMB, DKC, Wii Play, etc), and Castlevania, at least traditional Castlevania, is very much an arcade style game.

My God, can you guys do some kind of research before posting anything. There has been plenty of Castlevania titles release on the Nintendo systems, the  problem is they don't sell either. It's not a popular franchise period.

Nice going comparing a hardcore Castlevania franchise to Casual games made by Ninendo, lol

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
--OkeyDokey-- said:

You honestly think with all the acclaim and re-releases Symphony got that it isn't the most successful in the franchise?

Nope.  It only did about 600k worldwide on PS1 iirc.  Even with the Saturn and PSP ports, it's probably still well under a million.  Maybe it went over a million if we add in digital releases (XBLA, Game Archives) but considering how many times it's been reissued, it's still pretty bad compared to the million selling, GBA only CotM (which sold over 500k in just the US alone btw).

Also, if we start adding ports, remakes and digital releases, I bet CV1 has probably outsold SotN too then.  It's been ported or converted to nearly *everything* (FDS, NES, MSX, C64, Amiga, PC, X68000, PS1, GBA, VC, mobiles, etc).

psrock said:
Metallicube said:

My God, can you guys do some kind of research before posting anything. There has been plenty of Castlevania titles release on the Nintendo systems, the  problem is they don't sell either. It's not a popular franchise period.

Nice going comparing a hardcore Castlevania franchise to Casual games made by Ninendo, lol

First of all, those are empty, meaningless terms. What exactly is "hardcore" or "casual" gameplay? Nobody can ever seem to answer that..Also, even if those terms DID hold any water, the fact that you actually refer to Mario or DKC as casual shows you know little about what they really mean. My point is these games are similar in their style of arcade gameplay.

And if I am looking at these #s correctly, the top three selling Castlevania games are on Nintendo consoles. Order of Ecclesia on DS also sold comparably to LOS on PS3 and better than the 360 version.

I have to admit I am shocked at how low the sales of the franchise are, I didn't realize the best selling Castlevania games only sold in the 600ks. Then I guess I will revise my statement to "a 2D Castlevania will have relative success on the Wii compared to HD consoles."

Metallicube said:
psrock said:
Metallicube said:

First of all, those are empty, meaningless terms. What exactly is "hardcore" or "casual" gameplay? Nobody can ever seem to answer that..Also, even if those terms DID hold any water, the fact that you actually refer to Mario or DKC as casual shows you know little about what they really mean. My point is these games are similar in their style of arcade gameplay.

And if I am looking at these #s correctly, the top three selling Castlevania games are on Nintendo consoles. Order of Ecclesia on DS also sold comparably to LOS on PS3 and better than the 360 version.

I have to admit I am shocked at how low the sales of the franchise are, I didn't realize the best selling Castlevania games only sold in the 600ks. Then I guess I will revise my statement to "a 2D Castlevania will have relative success on the Wii compared to HD consoles."

I think you can blame simons quest for low sales and series reputation... Howmany kids were crying at night cause they couldn't figure out that they have to crouch in the corner while equiping that ring for the tornado to come and take them to next stage?

Its kinda seen as a hardcore series...up until metroidvanias that is, which are like sandbox castlevanias.

I still can't believe they haven't attempted a 3D materoidvania for the series this gen. Demons Souls did is so well...jsut copy that for Lords of Shadow 2 Mercury Steam...not god of war.

dislike said:

deluded argument

- First tomb raider game was PS1/Sega Saturn.... all tomb raider games have been multi-platform outside of 2, and 3 which remain PS1 exclusives..... So no, its not a playstation thing. She's "Associated with the Playstation" brand, because she was marketed during the PS1 days, not anymore. Tales of has been milked to death. It's been in every console. Tales of Graces on the wii got oustold by a 1 year old-port on the PS3.... with an inferior userbase on Japan.... so yeah... good luck with that. Even tales of vesperia on the 360 outsold tales of symphonia wii...

??? I'm pretty sure this just backs up my OP lol

"2D games and Sonic games are at home on Nintendo consoles. New Super Mario Bros, Epic Mickey, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Sonic, Klonoa, Castlevania Rebirth, A Boy and His Blob, de Blob, Flip's Twisted World, the list goes on"- this i can agree with, but i would argue that it would be better to make a 2D game on the Nintendo DS, Xbox Live Arcade, Wiiware, or even Playstation Network. Better, faster, cheaper.

Making it faster an cheaper is not the point. They have been doing it on the handhelds for years but sales have never really broken out past something above 1.5 million for any of these iterations. 2D games can have a presence on the console forefront if given proper attention. Like I said, NSMB Wii and DKC: Returns.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."