By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Castlevania belongs on Nintendo consoles.

@mrstickball  to add to what you said, I honestly dont think you can get an HD owner to pay 50-60 for a 2d game. I dont think most Wii owners will go for that either. Castlevania is not that popular, put it on WiiWare, Live, PSN   THe only one that can get away with that is Mario and maybe DK. (yes LBP is 2d but it has local, online AND user created content, so technically the game does not end, thats why I bought it)

Around the Network
oniyide said:

@mrstickball  to add to what you said, I honestly dont think you can get an HD owner to pay 50-60 for a 2d game. I dont think most Wii owners will go for that either. Castlevania is not that popular, put it on WiiWare, Live, PSN   THe only one that can get away with that is Mario and maybe DK. (yes LBP is 2d but it has local, online AND user created content, so technically the game does not end, thats why I bought it)

Exactly.

You can, in some circumstances, get Nintendo fans to buy a classic IP revival like DKC, Kirby, or the venerable NSMB series. But lets not forget: These are AAA titles with a ton of pedigree, marketing, and history on the console.

What does Castlevania have for pedigree on Nintendo home consoles? I-IV weren't blockbuster titles owned or marketed by Nintendo. The games were panned (at the time) for being just too much. Do you remember the Nintendo Power cover with Simon in II? I do. It wasn't well received. Neither would a CV revival. Of course, I was one of the fortunate few to buy (and still own) a copy of Simon's Quest on Nintendo....But I don't think I've ever met a single person that owns a copy outside of collectors realms.

When talking 2.5D games, the demand curve comes into play. Take the game and strip it down a bit, and you have a hit title on Xbox Live Arcade or PSN. Think about the blockbusters on XBLA that are platformers: Shadow Complex (>500k), Symphony of the Night (450k), Braid (300k)...Good titles with pretty convincing numbers Super Meat Boy was made by a 2-man team and has sold over 150,000 copies between Steam and XBLA, so there is certainly a market for 2D platformers. It just needs to be priced....Like a 2D platformer. These types of titles are competing with fantastic titles from the 8-bit and 16-bit age, and many still stand the test of time. It isn't a great value proposition for consumers to buy a lot of 2.5D titles at $50 or $60 when there are so many great ones on Virtual Console, XBLA or PSN for a tenth of the price. Therefore, a good market exists at the lower tiers for games with old-school qualities at a deflated price.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@mrstickball  ive been saying that for years, its the main reason I didnt go for NSMBWii, 50 bucks to me is too much for a 2d game with no kinda online. if it was WiiWare for half the price I would have been on it, but thats just me. IMHO in this day and age 2d games are not that expensive to make and trying to charge 50 for it is just highway robbery. I make exceptions for fighters only if the online is up to snuff (looking at you KOF 12)

Nintendo? meh. Castlevania belongs to 2D, and that is all.

huaxiong90 said:
optoma1990 said:

What castlevania game has had a full 2Drelease on the nintendo platform apart from the remade rondo of blood i am talk NEW and 2D not half assed psuedo 3D crap. Even SoTN on PSX was a  shallow version of the classic caslevanias before it! Come on Konami come back to your roots you know you were made for Nintendo!

I can't disagree more.

Edit: And as for what's in italics, they supported the MSX2 PC well back in the day.

The msx2 was a total failure the msx 1 was were the gameplay was but anyway i think you will find the first castlevania was on the FDS in 1986, if you dont know what FDS is you aren't a real gamer. Hint it's an add on for a Nintendo system.

The MSX2 version was later the same year. Get your facts straight!

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Hephaestos said:

umh... so much bad comments on LoS... I was planning on getting it in 2011 :-/

It's quite popular in other areas of the internet. I'll be picking it up regardless.

I'm a longtime Castlevania fan and I liked it a lot and would highly recommend it (though it does take a while before it really kicks in and starts 'feeling' like a Castlevania game imo)...

It's not my favourite game in the series but I do think it's the best attempt at a 3d reboot (so far).

oniyide said:

@mrstickball  ive been saying that for years, its the main reason I didnt go for NSMBWii, 50 bucks to me is too much for a 2d game with no kinda online. if it was WiiWare for half the price I would have been on it, but thats just me. IMHO in this day and age 2d games are not that expensive to make and trying to charge 50 for it is just highway robbery. I make exceptions for fighters only if the online is up to snuff (looking at you KOF 12)

i feel the same way. Good thing i bought it for $30.00 NEW when amazon had it on sale. I'll wait out a price drop on Donkey Kong Country Returns as well.

optoma1990 said:
huaxiong90 said:
optoma1990 said:

What castlevania game has had a full 2Drelease on the nintendo platform apart from the remade rondo of blood i am talk NEW and 2D not half assed psuedo 3D crap. Even SoTN on PSX was a  shallow version of the classic caslevanias before it! Come on Konami come back to your roots you know you were made for Nintendo!

I can't disagree more.

Edit: And as for what's in italics, they supported the MSX2 PC well back in the day.

The msx2 was a total failure the msx 1 was were the gameplay was but anyway i think you will find the first castlevania was on the FDS in 1986, if you dont know what FDS is you aren't a real gamer. Hint it's an add on for a Nintendo system.

The MSX2 version was later the same year. Get your facts straight!

Wow, man, you totally misread everything I said. That, and you need to chill.

A total failure? Hardly. I agree Konami put out more games on the MSX1 than the MSX2, I meant to say both MSX1 and MSX2, but I mean, the MSX2 had Vampire Killer, and Metal Gear. I know you don't care for that game, but it's popular nevertheless.

And lastly, I know what the Famicom Disk System is, and I know the origins of Castlevania well, I never said the original was for the MSX2 version. But the simple fact is, I disagree with the statement that KONAMI, not Castlevania, but Konami in general are made for Nintendo. Meaning, they support other consoles well and thrive off of them.

Get off your high horse, and quit being so damn defensive. There is no need to turn this into an argument.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

mrstickball said:
jarrod said:
mrstickball said:

Given how well Symphony of the Night sold on XBLA, I don't think the problem is the console its on. The real problem is Konami can't market the games very well, and does some crazy things like totally ruin Harmony of Dispair.

If Konami created a true SOTN-like clone (or near clone) for XBLA/PSN and didn't screw it up like Harmony of Dispair, it would be the best selling Castlevania game, period.

Oh, and somehow, I just don't see the Wii as being the console of choice for a core Castlevania title. Truth be told, I think it'd be the worst of any given option to launch it on that system.

I think 2.5D home console Castlevania would sell comparably on any of them.  The difference is on 360/PS3 they'd probably have to be downloadable, while on Wii it'd probably have to be retail.

I don't know if a home console Castlevania would do very well.

A mature-rated, $50 to $60 2.5D platformer would not be the easiest thing to pitch to consumers unless it was arguably the best title ever created in the genre (admittedly, anything Metroidvania would be awesome). That is why meeting the price demand at $10 or $15 would be a much better option. At that price, you would get a lot more people willing to try the title out, and make up the costs in a higher margin and more sales.

If VGC numbers are to be believe in full, a disc-based game would fail, as sales for disc-based Castlevania games has always been poor.

Comparatively, the downloadable eqivilents have done very well. If numbers are correct, SOTN on X360 alone is the 2nd best-selling title in the series ever. Adding PSN would make it the best selling multi-plat Castlevania ever.

Now, put a bit more quality into it as a new release, and it'd likely hit Shadow Complex numbers, if not better. I think it'd be a safer proposition to try to aim for 1 million sales on a new true Metroidvania title at $10 or $15 than try to hawk it at three times the price on consoles that have never proven that they can sell mature 2.5D platformers at retail.

Well, 2.5D doesn't mean strict 2D... it could "open up" in sections like Metroid: Other M or Sonic Colors.  If it were a Wii retail game, I'd expect a scope (and budget) that probably went beyond what we'd get as an XBLA/PSN release (which probably would be strict 2D, which is cool also).  It's not like Konami would be making the same sort of game on either and just charging differently... they're not EA. ;)

And why would Iga bother doing a full 2D Metroidvania on XBLA/PSN for $15 when he could do it on 3DS for the same cost (or less) for $30, and probably sell comparably?  He'd be devaluing the product, it'd encourage consumers to expect cheaper prices for these sorts of games, which is already becoming something of a problem with XBLA (it's similar to iOS devaluing traditional game products in the handheld space).   Sonic 4 is already a bit of a mistake in this direction imo, it really should've been a full retail release rather than a chopped up downloadable.  As a retail Wii/PS2/360/PS3 game it'd probably have sold dramatically more than all the Episodes will as WiiWare/XBLA/PSN/iOS downloads.

edit: also, where are you getting XBLA/PSN figures for SotN?  It's over a million on just those two combined?  How did HoD XBLA do?

Who's arguing? Take a chill pill pal