By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Castlevania belongs on Nintendo consoles.

there are only 3 2d platformer games that have sold well on consoles this gen. Mario, DK, LBP and the latter had online and offline multi with a robust level editor. SO going by that logic it seems that most gamers WONT spend 50 or more on a 2d platformer and they shouldnt, that just company greed right there. Are people really trying to tell me the cost of making a 2d platformer is the same as 3d ones???? that is BS. But hey to each his own if some people wanna pay that for a that kind of game, its all good. Me and others will wait for a price drop

Around the Network

and by the way Sonic is nowhere near popular to release a full 2d retail game and do Mario or even DK #s. Not anymore

Give me a Castlevania platformer with twenty levels, unique music in every one, and awesome bosses? Hell, I'd buy that in a freaking heartbeat, especially if it was hard and had lots of secrets or multiple characters.

jarrod said:

Well, 2.5D doesn't mean strict 2D... it could "open up" in sections like Metroid: Other M or Sonic Colors.  If it were a Wii retail game, I'd expect a scope (and budget) that probably went beyond what we'd get as an XBLA/PSN release (which probably would be strict 2D, which is cool also).  It's not like Konami would be making the same sort of game on either and just charging differently... they're not EA. ;)

And why would Iga bother doing a full 2D Metroidvania on XBLA/PSN for $15 when he could do it on 3DS for the same cost (or less) for $30, and probably sell comparably?  He'd be devaluing the product, it'd encourage consumers to expect cheaper prices for these sorts of games, which is already becoming something of a problem with XBLA (it's similar to iOS devaluing traditional game products in the handheld space).   Sonic 4 is already a bit of a mistake in this direction imo, it really should've been a full retail release rather than a chopped up downloadable.  As a retail Wii/PS2/360/PS3 game it'd probably have sold dramatically more than all the Episodes will as WiiWare/XBLA/PSN/iOS downloads.

edit: also, where are you getting XBLA/PSN figures for SotN?  It's over a million on just those two combined?  How did HoD XBLA do?

I understand that Konami could potentially justify a lot of content for a full fledged 2D title, but I don't think Castlevania has the pedigree to justify a good return on investment for a major big-budget 2D title at $50 or more.

About the 3DS cost - remember that selling a game on XBLA/PSN/WiiWare for $15 is not the same as selling a retail game. On a digital title, you get a 70% cut of any revenues that come in, or approximately $10.50 per unit sold, assuming it is self-published (obviously Konami is in a position for such a thing). Comparatively, a 3DS title will require a lot of fees to go out - Nintendo's royalty fee, shipping & distribution of the title, retailer markup, and cost of the product itself - the cartridge. By the time you take those fees out of the equasion, you may not be making any more money on a 3DS title than an XBLA/PSN game. That is why we see so many titles go the way of digital distribution on PC - because you make more money for less work. Not to mention the fact that you have a much longer tail of sales on a virtually infinite market than you do at retail.

It's not about devaluing the product, its about offering a good value proposition...Trials HD and Castle Crashers would of never reached their epic sales levels at retail if they would of even been published. That is why XBLA/PSN/WiiWare can be great platforms - ideas and concepts can be published that would be poison at retail.

I agree that Sonic 4 wasn't the best in example, but was a very good idea in theory. Its unfortunate that they didn't get the physics right, and the episodes are likely to sell a fraction of Sonic 4, but having it as a digital title likely meant a much lower required threshold of units sold to break even. Its hard, also, to compare sales on a 1st episode versus preceived sales on a multi-plat boxed title. Could if of sold better on retail? Probably. Would it justify development on multi-plat systems for a full retail release and major marketing push? Unlikely.

I have SoTN/HoD sales because I'm in a position to know them     SoTN sold about 450k on XBLA and counting, and I estimate about 250-300k on PSN. HoD has done rather poorly at 175k on XBLA, but I think that is due to the stylistic choices in the game. Personally, I think HoD was rather offputting and could have sold twice as much by now if it was more Metroidvania-like SoTN.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@Rolstoppable  I understand your poing but honestly I just dont agree with it. My problem with just about all these retail games is that for the price there charging. Most of them dont even have what I consider a full feature list. IMHO I could see 2d platformers doing well for itself, but If you make a damn 2d platformer retail on the HD without local AND online??? I can gaurentee that game will flop. My point is if im paying full price for a game it better have a full feature list, is NSMBWii fun??? Hell yeah but after ive beating the game thats it im bored with it, a level editor could not have killed them

Around the Network
oniyide said:

My point is if im paying full price for a game it better have a full feature list, is NSMBWii fun??? Hell yeah but after ive beating the game thats it im bored with it, a level editor could not have killed them

You could play some Coin Battle with friends. That'll lengthen the longevity of the game for you.

How technical is your game?

Lords Of Shadow isn't just a Hack and Slash game, it borrows from a lot of games and is a great game, only because it sold little doesn't make it a bad game (that logic is pathetic and needs to die) there is also this game on XBLA called Harmony of Despair that did well and is a 2D game (even if its downloadable) , your argument is just another  angry "Why isn't it only on Nintendo!" Castlevania series was never a Nintendo Exclusive series, just like the Final Fantasy and Metal Gear series, only fanboys will think that.

it also wasn't a mistake to release the games on handhelds, the gameplay mechanics fit perfectly on a handheld , Sonic got stale because the games were just simply crap and now people are having a hard time wanting to go back to Sonic now that they released 2 good games (Sonic 4 and Sonic colors), it will get better once they keep up the quality.

Also like i said a million times Metroid Other M is a great game, and Castlevania Judgement is Okay , not terrible , but not great, the motion controls are stupid though.

IxisNaugus said:
oniyide said:

My point is if im paying full price for a game it better have a full feature list, is NSMBWii fun??? Hell yeah but after ive beating the game thats it im bored with it, a level editor could not have killed them

You could play some Coin Battle with friends. That'll lengthen the longevity of the game for you.

while i disagree with him about the NSMBWii isn't worth full price thing, its worth every penny,  i'm having a hard time knowing if your post is just a joke or its being serious.

mrstickball said:
jarrod said:

Well, 2.5D doesn't mean strict 2D... it could "open up" in sections like Metroid: Other M or Sonic Colors.  If it were a Wii retail game, I'd expect a scope (and budget) that probably went beyond what we'd get as an XBLA/PSN release (which probably would be strict 2D, which is cool also).  It's not like Konami would be making the same sort of game on either and just charging differently... they're not EA. ;)

And why would Iga bother doing a full 2D Metroidvania on XBLA/PSN for $15 when he could do it on 3DS for the same cost (or less) for $30, and probably sell comparably?  He'd be devaluing the product, it'd encourage consumers to expect cheaper prices for these sorts of games, which is already becoming something of a problem with XBLA (it's similar to iOS devaluing traditional game products in the handheld space).   Sonic 4 is already a bit of a mistake in this direction imo, it really should've been a full retail release rather than a chopped up downloadable.  As a retail Wii/PS2/360/PS3 game it'd probably have sold dramatically more than all the Episodes will as WiiWare/XBLA/PSN/iOS downloads.

edit: also, where are you getting XBLA/PSN figures for SotN?  It's over a million on just those two combined?  How did HoD XBLA do?

I understand that Konami could potentially justify a lot of content for a full fledged 2D title, but I don't think Castlevania has the pedigree to justify a good return on investment for a major big-budget 2D title at $50 or more.

About the 3DS cost - remember that selling a game on XBLA/PSN/WiiWare for $15 is not the same as selling a retail game. On a digital title, you get a 70% cut of any revenues that come in, or approximately $10.50 per unit sold, assuming it is self-published (obviously Konami is in a position for such a thing). Comparatively, a 3DS title will require a lot of fees to go out - Nintendo's royalty fee, shipping & distribution of the title, retailer markup, and cost of the product itself - the cartridge. By the time you take those fees out of the equasion, you may not be making any more money on a 3DS title than an XBLA/PSN game. That is why we see so many titles go the way of digital distribution on PC - because you make more money for less work. Not to mention the fact that you have a much longer tail of sales on a virtually infinite market than you do at retail.

It's not about devaluing the product, its about offering a good value proposition...Trials HD and Castle Crashers would of never reached their epic sales levels at retail if they would of even been published. That is why XBLA/PSN/WiiWare can be great platforms - ideas and concepts can be published that would be poison at retail.

I agree that Sonic 4 wasn't the best in example, but was a very good idea in theory. Its unfortunate that they didn't get the physics right, and the episodes are likely to sell a fraction of Sonic 4, but having it as a digital title likely meant a much lower required threshold of units sold to break even. Its hard, also, to compare sales on a 1st episode versus preceived sales on a multi-plat boxed title. Could if of sold better on retail? Probably. Would it justify development on multi-plat systems for a full retail release and major marketing push? Unlikely.

I have SoTN/HoD sales because I'm in a position to know them     SoTN sold about 450k on XBLA and counting, and I estimate about 250-300k on PSN. HoD has done rather poorly at 175k on XBLA, but I think that is due to the stylistic choices in the game. Personally, I think HoD was rather offputting and could have sold twice as much by now if it was more Metroidvania-like SoTN.

Well, the brand likely didn't warrant the investment sunk into Lords of Shadow, but that happened anyway.  "Big budget" is relative, but I think a 2.5D retail Metroidvania on Wii and/or 3DS could bring in a similar return as that title, for substantially less cost.

Yes, digital services shave off various manufacturing and logistics costs, but the royalty take itself is actually (proportionately) higher than retail.  Microsoft scales royalties for exclusivity (and they "charge" more for banner promotion) while Sony forces the publisher to pay any server costs for downloads themselves... fees can actually add up on both sides of the fence pretty quick. The "tail" is relative too... despite having no physical inventory, there's still "shelving" issues with digital services, and products not at the forefront tend to dry up (and in some cases get delisted).  DD is perfect in theory, but the reality of each of the services is pretty far from the ideal one would expect.

Also, for 3DS you're probably looking at a $35-40 US pricetag (1-2GB cards remember), and higher in other markets (€35-40, ï¿¥4800-5800)... digital prices don't seem to scale as high for Japan and Europe, they're pretty much consistent across regions.  3DS prices likely won't be far down from Wii to be honest, probably around what PSP used to be before the platform bottomed out in western markets.

Charging $15 online for what would normally be a $30-50 retail product is exactly "devaluing" and it conditions the consumer to expect more for less.  We're not talking about new IPs in genres that haven't been popular since the 1980s, Castle Crashers and Trails HD are odd comparisons at best.   With SOTN you could get away with that because it was an already complete game, with HOD we got 100% recycled assets and a non-traditional, truncated "multiplayer" design... considering all that, I'm not so convinced the numbers actually support a full fledged CV game on XBLA/PSN, or I think it'd have already happened.  Meanwhile, DS has warranted 3 full titles so far, all to decent success... we can guess at numbers, but precedent more sort of supports my side here.

And I think you're underselling what a retail "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" could actually accomplish in terms of sales.  I know it's cliche to bring NSMBWii but... well, look at NSMBWii.  It hits all the right cords; accessibility, familiarity, nostalgia, and it's been a HUGE hit.  DKCR looks to follow in it's footsteps, and I've no doubt Sonic 4 if handled right (which I'll admit, is a huge caveat when talking about Sonic Team) could've absolutely been in the same boat.  As is Sega's going to end up charging the same probably (3-4 Episodes = $45-60) but they're limiting their absolute base in the process (WW/XBLA/PSN <<<< Wii/360/PS3 at retail) and I'd bet their absolute sales as well.

PullusPardus said:

Castlevania series was never a Nintendo Exclusive series, just like the Final Fantasy and Metal Gear series, only fanboys will think that.

CV and MG weren't, but FF was.  Square never made a FF game on anything but a Nintendo system until FF7.