By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony reaffirms PS3 2010 sales projections

Hardware Sales Ap-Jn   Jl-Sp   Oc-Dc  Ja-Mr   FY
FY 2009/10          1.1        3.2       6.5        2.2      13.0
FY 2010/11          2.4         3.5 - -                            5.9

Sony will make this not because of the OCT-DEC period, but the JA-MAR one. Sony had so much issue shipping enough console in that quater althugh demand ws there, I expect them to to ship more than 2.2 milion.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:

Sony executive said Sony's LCD TV sales would likely fall slightly short of a targeted 60 percent rise in unit terms this financial year.

They have no problem saying they won't meet expectation for their products.

Except Sony's TVs are far more trusted than the PlayStation brand. After a single product loses over $10 billion with no hope to recover most of it, the mere thought of it underperforming would have investors running.

When you have a product that's rising 60% YOY and (I assume) thrashing its competitors, investors really don't care if it's ever so slightly under expectations.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

ImJustBayuum said:
ElGranCabeza said:
fighter said:
Wagram said:
psrock said:

They are selling better somewhere not Japan or US i guess.

EMEAA is a huge territory. Honestly Sony hitting the gutter was probably the best thing for them. They are kicking so much ass now. Best 3rd place ever and has an AMAZING category of games on the PS3 now. God the games next year alone could give ya the shakes.

Are you saying 2011 will be the best year of the PS3 ?

Honestly that sounds pretty similar to what was said about 2008/9/10 being the best years of the PS3 (btw when did it, according to you, "hit the gutter" ?).

Are you being ironic or is it really what you think ?

I don't know whether or not you're being sarcastic but Sony shipped more in '09 than they did in '08, they shipped more in '08 than they did in '07, and, if their projection holds, they'll have shipped more in 10 than they did in '09, so when people said the year prior to it happening that "2008/09/10 will the PS3 best year ever", they were right.

Channel Stuffing more likely this year...I mean the gap between the PS3 and 360 in the November NPD was huge

Good thing the United States doesn't equal the entire world huh?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

ImJustBayuum said:
ElGranCabeza said:
fighter said:
Wagram said:
psrock said:

EMEAA is a huge territory. Honestly Sony hitting the gutter was probably the best thing for them. They are kicking so much ass now. Best 3rd place ever and has an AMAZING category of games on the PS3 now. God the games next year alone could give ya the shakes.

Honestly that sounds pretty similar to what was said about 2008/9/10 being the best years of the PS3 (btw when did it, according to you, "hit the gutter" ?).

I don't know whether or not you're being sarcastic but Sony shipped more in '09 than they did in '08, they shipped more in '08 than they did in '07, and, if their projection holds, they'll have shipped more in 10 than they did in '09, so when people said the year prior to it happening that "2008/09/10 will the PS3 best year ever", they were right.

Channel Stuffing more likely this year...I mean the gap between the PS3 and 360 in the November NPD was huge

That's not how channel stuffing works.

Immortal said:
psrock said:

Sony executive said Sony's LCD TV sales would likely fall slightly short of a targeted 60 percent rise in unit terms this financial year.

Except Sony's TVs are far more trusted than the PlayStation brand. After a single product loses over $10 billion with no hope to recover most of it, the mere thought of it underperforming would have investors running.

When you have a product that's rising 60% YOY and (I assume) thrashing its competitors, investors really don't care if it's ever so slightly under expectations.

I just fell on the floor laughing, you got me there.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
ImJustBayuum said:
ElGranCabeza said:
fighter said:
Wagram said:
psrock said:

Never suggested nor implied that it is..It is the biggest and the most important market but its no the world. However Channel stuffing in America could significantly influence the overall shipping figures for Sony huh?

psrock said:
Immortal said:
psrock said:

Err, I probably did neglect some really huge and obvious flaw in my logic, but I can't really see it. Would you mind pointing it out?

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

ImJustBayuum said:
Euphoria14 said:
ImJustBayuum said:

Never suggested nor implied that it is..It is the biggest and the most important market but its no the world. However Channel stuffing in America could significantly influence the overall shipping figures for Sony huh?

PS3 in all Americas = 17.2M,

PS3 in EMEAA = 21.1M

PS3 in Japan = 6.0M

Just because it us most important for the 360 doesn't mean it is the same for PS3.

360 in all Americas = 27.8M

360 in EMEAA = 19.1M

360 in Japan = 1.4M

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
ImJustBayuum said:
Euphoria14 said:
ImJustBayuum said:

PS3 in all Americas = 17.2M,

PS3 in EMEAA = 21.1M

Just because it us most important for the 360 doesn't mean it is the same for PS3.

second most important market for the PS3...my point still stands that channel stuffing in America could significantly influence the overall shipping figures for Sony.

Immortal said:
psrock said:
Immortal said:
psrock said:

Err, I probably did neglect some really huge and obvious flaw in my logic, but I can't really see it. Would you mind pointing it out?

Think about it: Playstation : loser : low expectation from investors : Sony protecting

: LCD : Brings Sony money: high expectation from investors : Sony don't care to protect.

By your logic, Sony should be making sure the LCD division doesn't show any sign trouble, but someow had no problem saying they were not going to meet expectation.

And all your numbers are wrong.

Next Gen