By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony reaffirms PS3 2010 sales projections

ImJustBayuum said:
Euphoria14 said:
ImJustBayuum said:
Euphoria14 said:
ImJustBayuum said:

Channel Stuffing more likely this year...I mean the gap between the PS3 and 360 in the November NPD was huge

Good thing the United States doesn't equal the entire world huh?

Never suggested nor implied that it is..It is the biggest and the most important market but its no the world. However Channel stuffing in America could significantly influence the overall shipping figures for Sony huh?

PS3 in all Americas = 17.2M,

PS3 in EMEAA = 21.1M

Just because it us most important for the 360 doesn't mean it is the same for PS3.

second most important market for the PS3...my point still stands that channel stuffing in America could significantly influence the overall shipping figures for Sony.

What makes you think they stuffed the channels? 

Also do you assume they shipped most of their consoles to the US? I would assume they shipped more to Europe than they did to the US.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
psrock said:
Immortal said:
psrock said:
Immortal said:
psrock said:

Sony executive said Sony's LCD TV sales would likely fall slightly short of a targeted 60 percent rise in unit terms this financial year.

They have no problem saying they won't meet expectation for their products.

Except Sony's TVs are far more trusted than the PlayStation brand. After a single product loses over $10 billion with no hope to recover most of it, the mere thought of it underperforming would have investors running.

When you have a product that's rising 60% YOY and (I assume) thrashing its competitors, investors really don't care if it's ever so slightly under expectations.

I just fell on the floor laughing, you got me there.

Err, I probably did neglect some really huge and obvious flaw in my logic, but I can't really see it. Would you mind pointing it out?

Think about it: Playstation : loser : low expectation from investors : Sony protecting

: LCD : Brings Sony money: high expectation from investors : Sony don't care to protect.

By your logic, Sony should be making sure the LCD division doesn't show any sign trouble, but someow had no problem saying they were not going to meet expectation.

And all your numbers are wrong.

When did PS3 lose them $10B? I believe that new news should make the front page.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

PS3 will increase his sales in EMEAA every year until 2012.

psrock said:

Think about it: Playstation : loser : low expectation from investors : Sony protecting

: LCD : Brings Sony money: high expectation from investors : Sony don't care to protect.

By your logic, Sony should be making sure the LCD division doesn't show any sign trouble, but someow had no problem saying they were not going to meet expectation.

Not exactly; PS3 Sony needs to protect, investors will go on a rampage if such a product continues to do under expectations and will ask for the product to be scrapped, which will be an even bigger mess, LCD Sony doesn't need to because the product has been doing well and investors like the product. It doesn't matter whether or not they had high expectations; if the product's doing well, they won't care to do much about it being slightly off target.

Also, I presume you mean my numbers regarding the $10 billion loss from PS3? The best sources I could find indicate that PS1/2 combined to form $9-10 billion profit and that the PS brand is currently in the red.

$10b PS3 = <$0

PS3 = <-$10b

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Ohhh god....

The shipment reports hasn't even come yet and were already having "TEH OVERSHIPPZ!" in this thread I cant even imagine after the report comes in....

Around the Network
XxXProphecyXxX said:

Ohhh god....

The shipment reports hasn't even come yet and were already having "TEH OVERSHIPPZ!" in this thread I cant even imagine after the report comes in....

We have been hearing about Sony over shipping for almost half a year now.

Currently playing:

Immortal said:
psrock said:

Not exactly; PS3 Sony needs to protect, investors will go on a rampage if such a product continues to do under expectations and will ask for the product to be scrapped, which will be an even bigger mess, LCD Sony doesn't need to because the product has been doing well and investors like the product. It doesn't matter whether or not they had high expectations; if the product's doing well, they won't care to do much about it being slightly off target.

Also, I presume you mean my numbers regarding the $10 billion loss from PS3? The best sources I could find indicate that PS1/2 combined to form $9-10 billion profit and that the PS brand is currently in the red.

$10b PS3 = <$0

PS3 = <-$10b

I will ignore the numbers as you are just making things up.

So if the PS3 sells 14.5 million for fiscal year, investors will ask Sony to scrap the PS3?  the biggest year oF the PS3? Seriously?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Immortal said:
psrock said:

$10b PS3 = <$0

PS3 = <-$10b

I will ignore the numbers as you are just making things up.

So if the PS3 sells 14.5 million for fiscal year, investors will ask Sony to scrap the PS3?  the biggest year oF the PS3? Seriously?

I am? Fair enough, I guess. My source is another poster on this site. Care to tell me what the real numbers are then? I assume you know of them since you seem certain that my figures are incorrect.

Also, obviously, investors won't ask for the PS3 to be scrapped just like that, but they may get rather frustrated and some may sell stock. The chance of this is high enough for Sony to play it safe and wait for a better oppurtunity to adjust their expectations.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Euphoria14 said:
ImJustBayuum said:
Euphoria14 said:
ImJustBayuum said:
Euphoria14 said:
ImJustBayuum said:

Channel Stuffing more likely this year...I mean the gap between the PS3 and 360 in the November NPD was huge

Good thing the United States doesn't equal the entire world huh?

Never suggested nor implied that it is..It is the biggest and the most important market but its no the world. However Channel stuffing in America could significantly influence the overall shipping figures for Sony huh?

PS3 in EMEAA = 21.1M

Just because it us most important for the 360 doesn't mean it is the same for PS3.

second most important market for the PS3...my point still stands that channel stuffing in America could significantly influence the overall shipping figures for Sony.

Also do you assume they shipped most of their consoles to the US? I would assume they shipped more to Europe than they did to the US.

I wrote "likely" in my first post..And I gave the most recent NPD data that suggests that.

For your second point, I wasnt referring to absolute numbers but I was referring to the fact that they shipped significant numbers of units to US irrespective of Europe's numbers and thus could affect the overall shipping number that Sony gave out.

ImJustBayuum said:
Euphoria14 said:
ImJustBayuum said:
Euphoria14 said:

PS3 in EMEAA = 21.1M

I wrote "likely" in my first post..And I gave the most recent NPD data that suggests that.

For your second point, I wasnt referring to absolute numbers but I was referring to the fact that they shipped significant numbers of units to US irrespective of Europe's numbers and thus could affect the overall shipping number that Sony gave out.

NPD only pertains to the United States though, which is not the PS3's strongest territory, so to be honest it is not a good excuse for why they stuffed the channel. Well, they also have Canadian NPD, but I am not sure if we have numbers for them yet.

As for your second point, what part of the financial reports told you what they shipped to the US? 

Better yet, what exactly informed you of SONY's Q3 shipments because from what I know I doubt anyone on this site knows what they shipped for Q3.

Seems like you're just pulling info out of thin air to be completely honest with you and is no different from what we have heard the last 6 months.

Currently playing: