By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony reaffirms PS3 2010 sales projections

Sony reaffirms PS3 2010 sales projections

SCE boss Kaz Hirai says console's November sales were in line with expectations, 15 million units still goal for fiscal year ending March 31.

Sony has been facing down choppy economic waters for the past couple of years, but it was full steam ahead during the Japanese electronics company's fiscal third quarter. During the July-September period, company profits reached ¥31.1 billion ($372 million), due in large part to the increasing strength of the PlayStation 3, which sold 3.5 million units worldwide. The company also reaffirmed its projection of selling 15 million PS3s by the end of March 31, 2011 at that time.

Since then, Sony experienced a lackluster November, an important sales period in which only 530,000 PS3s were sold--a far cry from the Xbox 360's 1.37 million unit tally. Still, that performance hasn't impacted the company's PS3 sales goals. As part of a press conference in Japan today, Reuters reports that Sony has reaffirmed its 15 million sales estimates for the PS3 through the end of its in-progress fiscal year.

"Sales at the end of the year are as we expected," said Sony Computer Entertainment head Kazuo Hirai.

Should Sony hit its sales estimates for its 2010 fiscal year, it would represent strong growth for the PS3 this year. During its previous fiscal year, Sony sold 13 million units worldwide, a figure that was itself up from 2008's 10.1 million unit sales tally. Through September, the PS3 has sold 41.6 million units since launching in November 2006.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6285775.html

Around the Network

They are selling better somewhere not Japan or US i guess.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:

EMEAA is a huge territory. Honestly Sony hitting the gutter was probably the best thing for them. They are kicking so much ass now. Best 3rd place ever and has an AMAZING category of games on the PS3 now. God the games next year alone could give ya the shakes.

psrock said:

I think it's South America and some EMEAA countries, where VGC has no clue of what's happening

Wagram said:
psrock said:

EMEAA is a huge territory. Honestly Sony hitting the gutter was probably the best thing for them. They are kicking so much ass now. Best 3rd place ever and has an AMAZING category of games on the PS3 now. God the games next year alone could give ya the shakes.

Are you saying 2011 will be the best year of the PS3 ?

Honestly that sounds pretty similar to what was said about 2008/9/10 being the best years of the PS3 (btw when did it, according to you, "hit the gutter" ?).

Are you being ironic or is it really what you think ?

Around the Network
fighter said:
Wagram said:
psrock said:

Honestly that sounds pretty similar to what was said about 2008/9/10 being the best years of the PS3 (btw when did it, according to you, "hit the gutter" ?).

At least look at the numbers before posting, every year has been the PS3'S best year.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

15m by the end of this yr or there fiscal yr end is looking very likely and on target with most predictions.

fighter said:
Wagram said:
psrock said:

i think he was referring to the launch, but that was only 1m less then 360' 5m first yr?

Q3 shipment numbers wil be very interesting ;)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Excellent news. PS3 grows more every year. I expect the same next year.