By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So... has your opinion changed about Metroid: Other M?

RolStoppable said:
theRepublic said:
RolStoppable said:
theRepublic said:

Just beat him.  

Great, only a few more bosses to go now. Are you scared of facing Phantoon?

Do you get to fight Phantoon on hard mode?

No. I guess you don't because it just doesn't seem feasible to beat this thing without energy tanks.

I thought that I heard you didn't get to fight it on hard mode.  I am worried about the Queen Metroid though.  That thing was really the only boss I had a hard time with on Normal difficulty.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
Switch - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2014/2017)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
theRepublic said:
RolStoppable said:

No. I guess you don't because it just doesn't seem feasible to beat this thing without energy tanks.

I thought that I heard you didn't get to fight it on hard mode.  I am worried about the Queen Metroid though.  That thing was really the only boss I had a hard time with on Normal difficulty.

The Queen Metroid is really not hard. Her fire breath may kill you in an instant, but it's easy to avoid. Nightmare is definitely more of a nightmare, but also easier to beat than Ridley.

I already beat Nightmare both times.  Not too bad.

What gave me problems with the Queen Metroid was at the beginning when she sends three or so metroids at you at the same time.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

Well Other M, I tried to defend you.  I guess I wasn't good enough.  You don't here this often on the internet but......I have been thoroughly defeated.  Other M sucks and I was wrong to like it.

*sells copy of Other M on ebay*

MaxwellGT2000 said:

But overall I see where you're coming from and you're obviously not doing it out of spite like some people, but I do disagree that the story itself is inconsistent, she had some interest in the baby metroid pointed out in Metroid II and Super Metroid, and she really cared and respected Adam as seen in Fusion, and Ridley has terrorized her for her entire life so being a bit shocked he was revived doesn't seem out of place she snapped out of it and kicked ass per usual.  Now for the script, I really do think the intro needed more work, hell you should put your best foot forward and not have the premise be so shaky, but by the end I was satisfied.

My biggest problem with the story is that it the back story they make for Samus does not seem to match up with the story from the first Metroid.  The story in that one goes that the Federation has to call on a the greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy.  This bounty hunter is shrouded in mystery, and no one knows 'his' true form.

So I guess they just retconed all that to give Samus more of a history with the Federation.  It is bad, lazy writing to do that.

Then there is the annoying thing where Samus's height changes radically between cut scenes.  The suit should only add two or three inches at most, otherwise her feet would not make it down to the boots of the suit.  Instead it seems to add about a foot and a half, if not more.

Now Playing

d21lewis said:

Well Other M, I tried to defend you.  I guess I wasn't good enough.  You don't here this often on the internet but......I have been thoroughly defeated.  Other M sucks and I was wrong to like it.

Lol, I think that is going to far.

I may be critical of the game, but I liked it.  It just wasn't up to par for this fantastic franchise.

Now Playing

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

The story of the first Metroid got already rewritten with its remake, Zero Mission on the GBA. Samus is nothing like the greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy, instead it's her very first mission (hence the subtitle).

Beyond that, it has been said that the original translation of the first Metroid has wrongly described Samus Aran as a bounty hunter. That's another reason why the West has such a different perception of what Samus is meant to be. Not that this excuses what Sakamoto has done to the character. It seems he just adds whatever he wants whenever he wants.

Take Fusion for example: In one of Samus' inner monologues she talks about Adam as that was the first time she had to follow someone's orders. The second time being the computer in Fusion which is why she recalled Adam. But according to Other M's events the computer in Fusion must be the third time she is following orders. Sakamoto screws up his own story arc from one game to the other.

I never played Zero Mission.  That's ridiculous that they would rewrite the original and then use it as the basis for the another game in the franchise.  Metroid called Samus a "space hunter".  I'm not really sure what else they could have meant.  I wonder what it was supposed to be.  Nothing else really makes sense to me in context.

Sakamoto could really make things easier on himself if he stopped jumping around the timeline.  He seems to mix things up easily.

Now Playing

my opinion has not changed. i still think other m is the greatest disgrace that could ever happen to the metroid franchise. not only for it's awful story (and i don't mind story in games, but other m's story was just a really bad one),and samus characterization, but also for many gameplay aspects... the really awkward choice of controlling a 3d game with a wiimote held sideways, the lack of esploration, the smaller scope (in contrast to the prime games). oh, and music was absolutely subpar for the franchise's standards.

i just hope that with the bad sales other m is getting nintendo will take the creative control from sakamoto and give it to someone else. maybe the right choice would be going silent for 5 - 6 years (so people will forget this abomination) and then a total reboot of the saga.

Become a fan of I Love Videogames on facebook! The most updated and fun italian videogame fanpage on facebook! click here!

Also visit I Love Videogames: a new and fresh italian videogaming site! click here!

d21lewis said:

No! You can't!

I can't play (thanks to my Wii) so you must play and enjoy for me. :(

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

DarkCronos said:

my opinion has not changed. i still think other m is the greatest disgrace that could ever happen to the metroid franchise. not only for it's awful story (and i don't mind story in games, but other m's story was just a really bad one),and samus characterization, but also for many gameplay aspects... the really awkward choice of controlling a 3d game with a wiimote held sideways, the lack of esploration, the smaller scope (in contrast to the prime games). oh, and music was absolutely subpar for the franchise's standards.

i just hope that with the bad sales other m is getting nintendo will take the creative control from sakamoto and give it to someone else. maybe the right choice would be going silent for 5 - 6 years (so people will forget this abomination) and then a total reboot of the saga.

Doubtful. Really no one else to give it to, unless we want more Primes (which i would like to see more Prime on the next console, but also a proper Metroid V). Plus i'd rather see Retro try their hands at a new IP as their next project.

There's nothing wrong with Sakamoto at the helm, he just needs a shorter leash. Kinda like George Lucas

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

There's no much I can add, I agree with many posts here. The thing I didn't like about the story was about Samus' past, when she was young and naive and all that crap of the thumbs down. The first two hours I wasn't liking the story. Then it got better and I liked it, even at the end I smiled when Samus gave the thumbs up.

I liked the gameplay, loved to change views pointing at the screen,  I didn't have any problem with that. The Where's Waldo sections, I only had trouble in 2 of them so it was not a big deal, I think the "over the shoulder" sections were more annoying.

Also, the linearity, lack of items to find, no backtracking and lack of all things that were key in Metroid gameplay, were a bad decision. Some people say that it doesn't matter because other Metroids could be finished very fast, but this isn't true. To beat Super Metroid in less than 3 hours you have to perfectly know the game. With Other M this is not the case, where you can beat it very fast in your first try.

Anyway, my biggest disappointment, that apparently many people don't care (or haven't mentioned), was the MUSIC. I loved Metroid soundtrack, but Other M was so boring I fall sleep many times. =(

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069