By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So... has your opinion changed about Metroid: Other M?

I'm sure all of us know that Metroid: Other M got alot of mixed feelings upon it's release.  Many were upset about the infamous Ridley cutscene while others praised it. When the G4TV review claimed that the game was sexist, there was a huge uproar and conflicting opinions about it. Other miner complaints were about the game mechanics and the voice acting. Well now that the dust has settled, do you still feel the same way you did at first or has your opinion changed?

I started watching the cutscenes in Theater mode today and I still feel like it's a great game. Also, I was one of the people actually LIKED the Ridley scene. I feel that it added suspense and it definitely made Ridley look more frightening.

Around the Network

I've heard so many different opinions about the game that I really need to get my hands on it. Hopefully that'll happen post Christmas. I really want to try it out.

no I still like it.

Basically, I still say this was a bad idea, but now I know why. Metroid was never about Samus, but about exploring a vast, complex, mysterious, and dangerous world. That is what Zebes, SR388, Talon IV, Aether, and the others were like. In order to make a Metroid game about Samus's character, she had to be all those things herself. She was instead, shallow and dull.

And I don't see how that scene would make Ridley more frightening. Any scene that basically goes "the PC feels this way, therefore you should too" is telling us how to think.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Still havent tried it buy i just bought it, im more interested in gameplay than cutscenes.  I mean if their really that bad i can always ignore em.

What can I say, it makes me laugh.

Around the Network

Yes. At first I don't like that much. But now, I find story too good (for a Metroid game) and fits perfect for a Super Metroid sequel.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Salem said:

Still havent tried it buy i just bought it, im more interested in gameplay than cutscenes.  I mean if their really that bad i can always ignore em.

Well you can't skip them, so ignoring them might not be easy.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Sales have told the story, unfortunately, though doubtlessly more factors are in play than this being a subpar Metroid game (lower sales in general for second iterations of anything on Wii, higher piracy and a general stigma against core Wii games that was not present when Prime 3 launched)

clearly it's an under-performer for the franchise, even if i still say it'll slide past a million, it'll be down with Metroid Prime 2 (which in my subjective opinion was a worse game than this by a decent stretch)

As for myself, no. As i said long ago, I generally approved of this Samus because this Samus did not really clash with my image of Samus as someone introspective and reflective, generally aware of the gravity and generally tragic circumstances she's caught in.

Some of the plot elements were downright bizarre. The whole Other M/MB/Madeline Bergman thing was a nice twist, but wasn't introduced well enough. They should have hinted more strongly that there was one central driving force behind the breakdowns on the ship

My only other gripe was that in terms of setting and very general plot, this was basically Metroid Fusion Redux, but we really can't blame anyone for that idea, given that the extremely treasured Super Metroid is pretty much Metroid Redux, and even Metroid Prime is Super Metroid Redux. As far as setting goes, Metroid's been at its best retreading old ground before

As far as gameplay itself? Mostly golden. I'd nix the Concentration and return to pickups in the future, but absolutely keep the general style, a silky smooth blend of 2D and 3D that really captures the agile Samus of the 2D games in a way far surpassing the tanky Samus of Prime (and i still think Prime's the best game of all time, so don't attack me on that point)

All in all, it's still a worthy entry in the franchise, but lacking in the refinement and polish that has been another staple of previous Metroid games. The story could have really clicked perfectly if they had ironed out a few of the finer points. Delivery was too heavy-handed, but the general portrayals were all great, some of the finer gameplay mechanics needed to be fixed as well

EDIT: Really the also kind of dropped the whole "Deleter" thing into the void. Obviously the man killed by MB was the deleter (since you saw her being attacked by the Deleter, but she lives and in her lab this corpse is found), but for a game that tended to shove finer plot points in your face, they left that one for you to figure out on your own

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Salem said:

That's why i said ignore, ill think of something else.  Like how can my feet smell if they dont have a nose?

What can I say, it makes me laugh.

Salem said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Salem said:

That's why i said ignore, ill think of something else.  Like how can my feet smell if they dont have a nose?

Someone's been watching Ed, Edd, and Eddy i take it?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.