By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So... has your opinion changed about Metroid: Other M?

Absolutely. I hated the game with a passion for tainting the name of Metroid. Horrible "music" (if you can even call it that, the SoundFX pale in comparison to anything in Metroid, SM or the Primes), no sense of exploration (about 80% of the game i felt as though i was completing the game by simply following the one and only path, i want to play Metroid, not Sonic!!!), boring gameplay (dodge, dodge, fire, repeat), and poor design. I could go on and on, and JUST about the game mechanics itself, not counting the story (which was just plain awful). 

The graphics were very good though. Very nice looking game for the most part. Facial animations could have been worked on a bit though.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

I made a post countering every one of your bullet points, but that's not my place--I deleted it.  If the game failed to give you the intended experience, then the game failed you.  I could come up with a defense to all of your gripes but the bottom line was that your playthrough was hampered by whatever they thought was the right move.  I will say this:  The "Power Bomb in the stomach" thing was a throwback to the final fight with the Metroid Queen in Metroid 2.  I thought it was a very nice touch.

Ya know what Mr. Lewis? That's just... one of the most refreshing responses I've read in a long while. Much respect sir.

Actually, I'd like you hear your rebuttal for the Ice-beam to the back scene. I still don't know why her suit just shut down like that after only one shot.

But in a thread like this, a poster such as myself would be more inclined to post the negatives rather than the positives, and it does sound like I didn't enjoy the game as much as I actually did. Team Ninja got the combat down to fast, frantic, simple, and fun. Bosses were big, bad, and even more fun to take down as well... so they got a lot of the core Metroid right with this game. It's just that those elements which I stated above really hampered some of the experience for me. Still a good fun game which I wasted no time completing 100% (more than I can say for Echoes). And like I said before, when you're back on Bottle Ship looking for Adam's helmet... that part of the game is pretty fantastic.

So yeah, I'm really glad you've enjoyed this game, and I hope others can enjoy it as much as you did. ^_^

Still think it's garbage, and I still don't consider it a real Metroid game.

While it's below Metroid Prime or Super Metroid on my list, it's not a bad game at all. There's some things that bother me (like having to be in first person mode AND lock on to use missiles) but the gameplay is solid and the story is interesting.

Signature goes here!

LordTheNightKnight said:
PullusPardus said:

No i still love it, and i hope they keep this style , but add the exploration stuff others want (though its already there to be honest)

I've heard you have to unlock it. The exploration is what makes the series, not a bunch of cutscenes. There shouldn't be "the exploration stuff". There should be "exploration first and foremost". Acting like that's a minor part of the game* makes me wonder if you've actually paid attention to the series before this.

* Or if you did know, you would know better than to phrase it like it's a minor part of the series.

EDIT: Okay, I think I worded that too harshly. Perhaps that was not your intention, and you didn't have better words to write it. But I still stand by the first three sentences I wrote, just take out the harping on your wording, which admittedly is a bit petty.

it was intentional that i worded it like that, you know why ? because this is a third person metroid not the first person ones, the third person ones were mostly about gameplay they're fast paced, and didn't have that exploration feeling that the Prime series (first person) series had, so i think , its actually fine, and kept for its roots.

Around the Network

Forgot to talk about the whole unlocking drama!

At first, I thought it was explained really well (power bombs can kill occupants of the ship don't use them) but when I got to the part where Samus was taking damage running in the heat and she waits for Adam's permission to active the Varia Suit that's where I changed my mind and decided this was complete bullshit.

There's no logical reason not to allow Samus to use a suit that provides greater protection from the start and when she started burning up in her suit I'm pretty sure Samus would have said "Fuck you Adam, I'm turning on my Varia Suit"

Signature goes here!

PullusPardus said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
PullusPardus said:

No i still love it, and i hope they keep this style , but add the exploration stuff others want (though its already there to be honest)

I've heard you have to unlock it. The exploration is what makes the series, not a bunch of cutscenes. There shouldn't be "the exploration stuff". There should be "exploration first and foremost". Acting like that's a minor part of the game* makes me wonder if you've actually paid attention to the series before this.

* Or if you did know, you would know better than to phrase it like it's a minor part of the series.

EDIT: Okay, I think I worded that too harshly. Perhaps that was not your intention, and you didn't have better words to write it. But I still stand by the first three sentences I wrote, just take out the harping on your wording, which admittedly is a bit petty.

it was intentional that i worded it like that, you know why ? because this is a third person metroid not the first person ones, the third person ones were mostly about gameplay they're fast paced, and didn't have that exploration feeling that the Prime series (first person) series had, so i think , its actually fine, and kept for its roots.

Exploration is not about being slow paced. You still had to find your way around everything (save for the GBA games that told you where to go). They were still about exploration.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Smeags said:

It was a good game that I enjoyed while I played it, but it did not compare to the fantastic Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, and Corruption. I gave it 3/5 stars (liked it) and I still stand by that score.

Still, biggest gripes were:

• Where's Waldo sequences of finding something (the game gives you no hint on what to find in most of these sequences, so you're basically just flinging your WiiMote everywhere just to try and find a highlighted area. Spent around 10 minutes just trying to find the Ridley baby blood trail.)
  • Speaking of the game giving you no hints on what to do, how was I supposed to know that I needed to use the Power Bomb in the Queen Metroid's stomach? I died seven times before I realized I even had the weapon. By the time I beat her, it just wasn't fun anymore.
  • The final missile sequence with MB and her aliens. Once again, the game gives me no hint (I'm starting to see a pattern) that all I'm supposed to do is shoot MB, instead of the evil aliens attacking me (Silly me, I should have known I was supposed to ignore the things trying to kill me.)
  • One shot in the back with the ice beam completely disables Samus' Power Suit. That's convienient.

Those are my biggest complaints as well. Though I'd give it 9/10 or so. It was very disturbing with those "frozen solid-moments" where you had to find some certain pixels. They weren't fun and just slowed things down. I would have liked a more epic ending than the one the game actually got with the "aim at MB"-scene. And yes, that ice beam scene was downright horrendous. Worst scene of the game - and it was kinda weird since before that scene I was so excited 'cause the game really built up a lot of tention before it. So, I was very disappointed having Samus look as weak as she did in that scene.

But still, I really loved the gameplay and plot twists were great. The finishing moves looked sweet and most boss fights were really good as well. I would have loved a Kraid or Mother Brain fight though. Still thinks that Metroid Prime beats this game, but not by all that much.

Would also have preferred nunchuk support and getting rid of the free aim. You could just point at the screen instead and shoot like in Prime but in third person. The shifting from 3rd to 1st would've been easier too. Simply click... say, "Z" to enter first person. And finally - a longer game. 7-10 hours is just too short. At least 5 hours more should've been added.

Nice to see that there's a lot of positive comments about the game here now. I was so surprised that I had to create an account just to write here! ^^

RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Forgot to talk about the whole unlocking drama!

At first, I thought it was explained really well (power bombs can kill occupants of the ship don't use them) but when I got to the part where Samus was taking damage running in the heat and she waits for Adam's permission to active the Varia Suit that's where I changed my mind and decided this was complete bullshit.

There's no logical reason not to allow Samus to use a suit that provides greater protection from the start and when she started burning up in her suit I'm pretty sure Samus would have said "Fuck you Adam, I'm turning on my Varia Suit"

This thread explains it quite well.

Thanks for pointing me towards that enlightening thread about the true place of women in our society.

Signature goes here!

Awful story, heartbreaking (lack of) soundtrack, flawed progression, solid mechanics and a gorgeous engine/graphics.  It might be the worst Metroid (and by Metroid I mean "real" Metroids, Retroid can diaf), but it's still a good game, and I see tons of potential in the foundation Team Ninja built.  Hopefully Iwata and Sakamoto give them another chance...