By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why did it sell so much more on the PS3???

Viper1 said:
psrock said:
Viper1 said:
psrock said:
Viper1 said:
Adell_Sparda said:

Wii version is buggy, PS3 version is not. Enough?

Apparently not.  Seems people are still debating the differences in the series console preferences rather than grasp the fact they practically recalled the game because of the series flaws.  Graces F was released as a quick way to fix those problems and get a PS3 title out there.

no, that's not enough, the PS3 game came out a year later, i guess you forgot that part.

You aren't listening.  The game was practically recalled by Namco because of the game defects.  Do you really think the game would sell successfully with such a problem?

I have it has sold as much it would have anyway technical problems or not. These games sell most of copies on its first week, and trust me, no one knew about these techical issues until after.

So reviews completely failed to expose any of them?  Look, stop trying to make it look like the glitches and bugs had nothing to do with the sales when it's blatantly obvious they did.

Regardless of the bugs, Tales of Graces (Wii) was still awarded 36/40 by Famitsu.

It's obvious bugs didn't affect FW sales.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
psrock said:
Viper1 said:
psrock said:
Viper1 said:
Adell_Sparda said:

Wii version is buggy, PS3 version is not. Enough?

Ap

no, that's not enough, the PS3 game came out a year later, i guess you forgot that part.

You aren't listening.  The game was practically recalled by Namco because of the game defects.  Do you really think the game would sell successfully with such a problem?

I have it has sold as much it would have anyway technical problems or not. These games sell most of copies on its first week, and trust me, no one knew about these techical issues until after.

So reviews completely failed to expose any of them?  Look, stop trying to make it look like the glitches and bugs had nothing to do with the sales when it's blatantly obvious they did.

Famitsu has given the game a 37/40, with the four scores coming out to 10/9/9/9. It should be noted that the Wii version got 36/40 and Tales of Vesperia PS3 got 35/40 in Famitsu

What were you saying?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:

If you actually take a look at sales for the mothership games, Graces has the worst legs among them by a HUGE margin.  It's really self evident that the bugs led to negative word of mouth and that really handicapped it's long term sales.  Compare that to Vesperia 360, which had excellent wom and went on to basically double it's first week sales lifetime.  Namco dragging their feet with the recall (didn't happen until Feb iirc, which means after Graces f would've gone into production) didn't help either.

I'm a little surprised you're so unwilling to even slightly acknowledge that Graces' release was at all troubled and really maintain it did the best it possibly could have on the platform, it's issues were widely known and so severe that it actually had a recall and replacement program.  If that isn't logical enough reasoning for it's historically bad legs (rather than simply saying "lol Wii") then the game only selling as well as the Symphonia KOR, despite Graces inarguably superior pedigree and positioning, should clue you in that Graces Wii actually could have sold better than it did .  That doesn't mean it would outsell Graces f on PS3 (it wouldn't), just that it didn't move as much it potentially could have on Wii.

We are not talking about legs jarrod. We're talking about FW sales.

Those were not affected by the bugs. Tales of Graces (Wii) was considered the best "Tales of" game by Famitsu when it came out.

Chibi.V.29 said:
A Bad Clown said:

I'm assuming it's because a large majority of Japanese Role Playing Game fans from Japan prefer to play them on their Sony Playstation 3s.

i doubt thats the reason :P the wii is just as populare with jrpg's as far as i can see

No that is reason... remember it was Japan that wanted ToG on PS3 to begin with.

Around the Network

So, we have to admit that in Japan nobody who played the game in the first day, noticed it was buggy and stopped somebody to buy the game in the first week?

Ok then.

Anybdy know what kind of marketing the games had?  Anybody know the details of Famitsu's review other than the score (and you guys can't even agree on that giving 2 seperate scores)?  Anybody know the circumstances surrounding the recall and replacement program by Namco for the Wii iteration?   Anybody know the first week shipment numbers for the Wii iteration from Namco?

No?  Then let's stop debating the sales based on arbitrary and unknown information.  Graces didn't do so well on Wii first week and not a damn one of us knows the true reason for it because we're not Japanese.  We weren't there.  We didn't expereince what hapened.  We didn't see the marketing effort, or lack of.   To sum up, we don't know jack.  

The rEVOLution is not being televised

jarrod said:
psrock said:

If you actually take a look at sales for the mothership games, Graces has the worst legs among them by a HUGE margin.  It's really self evident that the bugs led to negative word of mouth and that really handicapped it's long term sales.  Compare that to Vesperia 360, which had excellent wom and went on to basically double it's first week sales lifetime.  Namco dragging their feet with the recall (didn't happen until Feb iirc, which means after Graces f would've gone into production) didn't help either.

I'm a little surprised you're so unwilling to even slightly acknowledge that Graces' release was at all troubled and really maintain it did the best it possibly could have on the platform, it's issues were widely known and so severe that it actually had a recall and replacement program.  If that isn't logical enough reasoning for it's historically bad legs (rather than simply saying "lol Wii") then the game only selling as well as the Symphonia KOR, despite Graces inarguably superior pedigree and positioning, should clue you in that Graces Wii actually could have sold better than it did .  That doesn't mean it would outsell Graces f on PS3 (it wouldn't), just that it didn't move as much it potentially could have on Wii.

I somewhat agree that maybe its legs might have been affected by the so-called tech issues, but what is the reason for the first week sales in a time wii was selling crazy, game got the best scores for tales games.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Adell_Sparda said:

So, we have to admit that in Japan nobody who played the game in the first day, noticed it was buggy and stopped somebody to buy the game in the first week?

Ok then.

You guys are exaggerating here.

The game sold 113,000 copies during its first day, and 143,000 copies during its first week.

This shows a very normal trend.

Boutros said:

We are not talking about legs jarrod. We're talking about FW sales.

Those were not affected by the bugs. Tales of Graces (Wii) was considered the best "Tales of" game by Famitsu when it came out.

Oh sure... no one knew about the crippling bugs first week.  What stunted it first week was FFXIII coming out a few days later (at least according to the retailer blogs and sites like Sinobi, Azalyn, YSO, etc).  The was also some anecdotal support of that on GAF.

I actually thought Graces first week was still okay-ish though, the real problem was the legs.  If it had legs like the other original mothership games this gen (Vesperia 360, Innocence DS, Hearts DS), it'd be between 250-350k right now rather than having stalled around 200k.