By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Don't ask don't tell repealed.

Kwaidd said:

interesting that so many are looking at this as solely a method to supress and control/belittle the rights of gay men and women in our military.  and now miraculously they are free because of the repeal.

on the contrary, because of the intolerance, hatred, and discomfort that so many still feel around or towards such individuals, I think the don't ask don't tell was a means of protecting them from these attitudes by keeping it quiet.  and from a military standpoint, you need everyones head in the game and on the same page...not distracted by worrying about the guy in next shower stall over..whether its the ignorance of a bigot angry at the gay person, or the gay man or woman knowing the next person over has ill will towards them.  /shrug

i just think that because of the unfortunate amount of intolerance that is still in our society, that its better for all involved to keep things quiet.

i do however agree with a few others comments about our country going down the shitter..as i believe we could very well be in the "final days of rome".  Our society as a whole I believe has lost some of the fundemental values that made us what we are/were.  The family unit is crumbling, respect for other people is nil, patriotism? what's that? our financial stability?  look at how many foreign cars are on the road...where does that money go?  vast majority doesn't stay in the states.  and noone gives a rip

Don't ask don't tell was a compromise that Clinton had to make. He wanted gays to be able to serve, the Republicans didn't. As Clinton couldn't force it through that gays could serve openly he ended up making DADT as the compromise. It certainly wasn't aimed at protecting gays - just at discriminating against them a little less than previously.

Around the Network
Kwaidd said:

interesting that so many are looking at this as solely a method to supress and control/belittle the rights of gay men and women in our military.  and now miraculously they are free because of the repeal.

on the contrary, because of the intolerance, hatred, and discomfort that so many still feel around or towards such individuals, I think the don't ask don't tell was a means of protecting them from these attitudes by keeping it quiet.  and from a military standpoint, you need everyones head in the game and on the same page...not distracted by worrying about the guy in next shower stall over..whether its the ignorance of a bigot angry at the gay person, or the gay man or woman knowing the next person over has ill will towards them.  /shrug

i just think that because of the unfortunate amount of intolerance that is still in our society, that its better for all involved to keep things quiet.

i do however agree with a few others comments about our country going down the shitter..as i believe we could very well be in the "final days of rome".  Our society as a whole I believe has lost some of the fundemental values that made us what we are/were.  The family unit is crumbling, respect for other people is nil, patriotism? what's that? our financial stability?  look at how many foreign cars are on the road...where does that money go?  vast majority doesn't stay in the states.  and noone gives a rip

Your heart is in the right place, but DADT was just a way of imposing beliefs wrapped in a nice package. "But it keeps the troops minds on the job at hand" Most first world nations in the world allow gays to openly serve.... and they have no problems whatsoever, no troop disharmony and no sexual harasment to speak of. So that point of argument is completely off.

The solution to bigotry and and intolerance is not ignorance nor denial/silence. That simply furthers the problem.