By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The next step in Human Evolution: When? Where? Why?

Hey guys, so yesterday I was stealing knowledge from Wikipedia again, and I wondered, if homo sapiens sapiens (the species of humans we all are) have been around for ~250,000 years, it would not be too far-fetched to believe humans will evolve sometime soon.

And if a human evolved to the "posthuman", when would you think he/she do it? Where do you think the evolution would take place first? (With science as advanced as it is today, it would be easy to trace back the beginning of the evolution, assuming it happened sometime in the future)

Also, why do you think would the human evolve? Or, do you think humans have reached a stop on their evolution process? With humans pretty much "conquering" the planet, I can't see many reasons for an evolution from a survival point of view. Then again, the ones living in extreme conditions, such as the Poles, may be able to evolve over time, and if humanity starts spreading out to other planets, maybe the humans over there would gain new features to adapt better to the planet they're on.

Discuss!

Around the Network

There will be no more human evolution thanks to modern technology. Evolution comes from the need for something, but since we can build whatever we need we aren't going to evolve.

The only evolution that's possible now is from artificial selection.

That's just my opinion. 

Chairman-Mao said:

There will be no more human evolution thanks to modern technology. Evolution comes from the need for something, but since we can build whatever we need we aren't going to evolve.

The only evolution that's possible now is from artificial selection.

That's just my opinion. 

Certain early-life fatal conditions and diseases will continue to be selected against, and selection of sexual characteristics (and preferences) will continue as long as people can choose who they have children with. But I tend to agree.

Who knows.. maybe someday all humans have the same skin color.. that would nice..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Evolution is not something that just happens.

We are different physically from our 250 000 year old ancestors. We are longer, with less body hair, etc etc. We just aren't different enough to be a new species yet, and to reach that point when we wouldn't be able to reproduce with them will probably take millions of years.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

I would say the only evolution would be due to sexual selection. So big dicks and hot babes.

KungKras said:

We are different physically from our 250 000 year old ancestors. We are longer, with less body hair, etc etc. We just aren't different enough to be a new species yet, and to reach that point when we wouldn't be able to reproduce with them will probably take millions of years.

However, it must be the case that the posthuman will, at least in the beginning, be able to reproduce with humans. It follows from the fact that if the first animal of a new species cannot reproduce with any other animal but someone from its own species, it would die!

Evolution doesn't work for a spiecies, it's something like - someone who randomly is better adapted to his enviorment is born, and after hundreds of thoudands of years his special attribute makes his decendants the only ones left.

With they way humanity is now it just won't happen, there's just to much variety, and not enough danger, for something like that to happen (not to mention that mankind will probably destroy itself sometime in the next 200 years).

The only way for evolution to continue working is if someone who can live forever is born, and actually gets to live long enough to have many offspring etc etc...

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

TheLivingShadow said:
KungKras said:

However, it must be the case that the posthuman will, at least in the beginning, be able to reproduce with humans. It follows from the fact that if the first animal of a new species cannot reproduce with any other animal but someone from its own species, it would die!

there will probably be a transition period in wich the new humans will be able to reproduce with the old ones.

As I said, the won't suddenly just be a new human born, it will start with small changes in more than one individual.

I LOVE ICELAND!

human will get fatter and fatter or something from my sig will happen

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.