By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Slavery: For or against?

Slavery: For or against?

Yes, as long as the slaves are non-citizens. 15 7.98%

Yes, it'd make the world a better place. 14 7.45%

No, but I wouldn't enfor... 12 6.38%

No, it's completely unacceptable. 147 78.19%

Total:188

Can I say yes just to spite you all? 

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Around the Network

We are all slaves to something. Like technology.

If anyone says yes than they better be willing to volunteer otherwise the response yes is hypocritical because it says certain people are more valuable than others so you could easily be a less valuable person than anyone else.

Are you creating threads that cause outrage just to boost the number of comments...oops, I just boosted this by 1.

twesterm said:

I've seen a lot of incredibly stupid questions on these forums but this one is probably one of the dumber ones I've seen.

I understand the sentiment, but please, if you are going to be completely ignorant about the topic and what has been written as explanation for what would otherwise be a very weird topic, then just refrain from giving offensive remarks where they don't need to be. You come off as one of the dumber posters I've met otherwise.

Krill said:

Are you creating threads that cause outrage just to boost the number of comments...oops, I just boosted this by 1.

Yes, I've been creating threads...wait...this is the first one I've created in a long while, and if I can recall, the first one ever that actually contains controversy.

Unless you were being funny, willful ignorance like this and like the poster I responded to before is the reason I don't post as much anywhere on the Internet.

Around the Network

I personally don't have a problem with indentured servitude as long as the terms are fair and reasonable

TheLivingShadow said:
Chairman-Mao said:

No, because its cheaper to just pay workers than it is to pay people to keep the slaves in check (make sure they don't try to revolt). 

What if it weren't then? What if in the future there were this cheap technology/pill that controls/drugs a person into doing what you want, and you didn't need someone to keep them in check? Would you then embrace slavery?

More generally, is your position against slavery a purely economical one, or do you also think it's ethically wrong?

lol get the joke son. Of course its ethically wrong. This is a stupid thread so I gave a stupid answer. 

Well, this thread has made me confirm some things.

First, people in the western world(Its the only one i actually know to say this), have slavery as something evil since it goes against freedom and the belief that every man is born the same and is the same, that is something that countries like France and the US made kind of general. To reject even discussion about this topic, the things that have been said to the TC, etc... help to confirm that these beliefs are strongly held by modern societies. 

Second, the belief that men have rights that belong only to them and we have these rights from the moment we are born is something that when you ask why? they say thats because these rights, like freedom, are something that is given to you just because you are human. If you look further, Ive been told that this comes from religious points of view of life where god creates us all the same.

So, if you are christian, this explains it all and thats the way you should think. If not, then you have to take an economical, political and sociological view of the subject to get to a conclusion. Im not a believer but I consider slavery as something that I really dont like, as I think that its something wrong, being raised like I was.

I do think we have to respect human rights like liberties but I have to say that I often find few reasons why these things are the way they are, like I cant think of 2nd generation rights, like education to be something that you have to have just because you are human as its something thats dependant on economy and the state you live in and their ability to give it to you, though I think it would be awful for some states not to give these kinds of warrants to their citizens. In the end I think of it like the organization and a convention that we, western world and the countries and ideologies that are similar, have chosen, so something like slavery would just go in the wrong direction from our point of view, making it something wrong.

Going back to slavery, Roman empire had slavery as a very important part of their economy, so when they adopted christianity, a religion that was against it, it brought a change that you could say did them wrong in the economical sense. They had to rely on slaves to keep working their fields, and they were really important, so loosing that, made it really hard to sustain, and its considered one of the many reasons the power of the roman empire was weakened way before thay were beaten. This makes you realize the importance of adopting one system over others and how this discussion is so immportant.

Im very opened to discuss anything, even a thing like slavery, I think discussions makes us better prepared to make future changes and I dont like it when a topic like this one is dismissed simply because it goes against our points of view, so I have to say I like this type of threads even though I do not aproove slavery.

Im not a native English speaker so forgive me if I made some mistakes in the post xD

TheLivingShadow said:
twesterm said:

I've seen a lot of incredibly stupid questions on these forums but this one is probably one of the dumber ones I've seen.

I understand the sentiment, but please, if you are going to be completely ignorant about the topic and what has been written as explanation for what would otherwise be a very weird topic, then just refrain from giving offensive remarks where they don't need to be. You come off as one of the dumber posters I've met otherwise.

You asking if it's alright to force someone to work for no pay...that's pretty much the definition of a stupid question.

twesterm said:
TheLivingShadow said:
twesterm said:

You asking if it's alright to force someone to work for no pay...that's pretty much the definition of a stupid question.

I'm not asking if it's alright to do that.

I'm asking the opinion that you, VgChartz users, hold on the topic.

And from some of the comments here and in the other slavery topic to which I already posted the link before, as well as from the "yes" answers in the poll (though I concede most of them might be just jokes and I understand that people think this is a stupid question because they don't want to think about it), there is some people who actually believe that slavery would do society better in the end. That was the purpose of the topic, to get the idea how many of these people actually think that way and what was their justification for that.

So again, if you're gonna make offensive remarks, at least make sure what you say holds true or else you look elitist and ignorant.

I'm gonna edit the opening post to better clarify the intentions of the topic. Apparently too many people just proceed to "WTF" instantly.