By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Slavery: For or against?

Slavery: For or against?

Yes, as long as the slaves are non-citizens. 15 7.98%

Yes, it'd make the world a better place. 14 7.45%

No, but I wouldn't enfor... 12 6.38%

No, it's completely unacceptable. 147 78.19%

Total:188

Slavery is bad don't do it, and i'll kill any sons of whores who approves of it, i am kidding. I wouldn't mind being a Roman slave though, the Roman slaves got sexed a lot and were treated pretty good, atleast better than most slaves around the world. D:

I'd also be a slave for Monica Bellucci, Salma Hayek, or Gabrielle Union mmmmm mmmmm good.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
TheLivingShadow said:
twesterm said:

I've seen a lot of incredibly stupid questions on these forums but this one is probably one of the dumber ones I've seen.

I understand the sentiment, but please, if you are going to be completely ignorant about the topic and what has been written as explanation for what would otherwise be a very weird topic, then just refrain from giving offensive remarks where they don't need to be. You come off as one of the dumber posters I've met otherwise.

You asking if it's alright to force someone to work for no pay...that's pretty much the definition of a stupid question.

Well if you want to be technical, they are working for food and shelter, and sometimes pay though it would be substantially less than what we could consider reasonable.

Exactly...they work and they do get a "compensation" (however unsignificant it is) that allows them to keep living.

The main topic of discussion in slavery is enforcement.

I decided to vote that it is unacceptable since we're not in the Dark Ages any longer.

For... if I could have these ones...

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

I personally don't have a problem with indentured servitude as long as the terms are fair and reasonable

um, by its very nature slavery is neither fair nor reasonable...thats kinda the point...

frankly if you support slavery you are morally bankrupt.

cultural relativism on things like this goes from sensible to downright dangerous and insane, thats why the concept should only go so far imo.

historically, slavery may have been important, but frankly so were a number of wars and genocides, that does not in any way make them good things, I would hope in future generations that such things are seen for what they are, vile mistakes of our species.

Against, of course, unless we're talking about sexual slaves. xD

there are 26 people on here then that I would never want to meet in real life.

The pro-Slavery supporters are either: insane, joking or Southern conservative farmers who still hold onto their 19th century views. The Civil War could have been won for the South if the French, British and Mexicans came in from the South to over throw the Yankees of the North. 

Would anyone on here want to be a slave: held captive, tortured, starved just like the tragic cases we hear on the news?

If you are a slave , a criminal psychopath with no morals/conscience could be your jail keeper/master. 10 years confined to a cellar room and having to be solely dependent on your master has been reality for some reported media cases. However, there are a lot more victims out there unreported. Some of the missing people who vanish into thin air could be slaves locked up in dark cellars. 

Homer_Simpson said:
HappySqurriel said:

I personally don't have a problem with indentured servitude as long as the terms are fair and reasonable

um, by its very nature slavery is neither fair nor reasonable...thats kinda the point...

frankly if you support slavery you are morally bankrupt.

cultural relativism on things like this goes from sensible to downright dangerous and insane, thats why the concept should only go so far imo.

historically, slavery may have been important, but frankly so were a number of wars and genocides, that does not in any way make them good things, I would hope in future generations that such things are seen for what they are, vile mistakes of our species.

Do you even know what indentured servitude is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentured_servant

An indentured servant was typically a young unskilled laborer who came to America under contract to work for an employer for a fixed period of time, typically three to seven years, in exchange for their ocean transportation, food, clothing, lodging and other necessities during the term of their indenture.[1] They included men and women; most were under age 21, and most became helpers on farms or house servants. They were not paid wages.

Certainly, there was abuse to the system and indentured servants were mistreated but the same could be said about wives at that point in time. If the rights of indentured servants were recognised, and laws against their abuse were created, I don't see anything unethical about indentured servitude.