By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DKC Returns is TOO HARD

Thats what the original was like. This is pure DKC goodness through and through.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Around the Network

I don't think DKCR's difficutly has anything to do with Nintendo, after all, the original games were pretty simplistic and the first one was a cakewalk.  Retro's standard is to make highly challenging games, as was shown with Metroid Prime 1 and Metroid Prime 2.  That's Retro's style. 

This backs up my theory that Nintendo is the reason Metroid Prime 3 was the easiest thing since Paris Hilton--if left to Retro, it would've been just as challenging as the first two, but Nintendo gave them the singular guidance to "make it easy for the Blue Ocean crowd."

Resident_Hazard said:

I don't think DKCR's difficutly has anything to do with Nintendo, after all, the original games were pretty simplistic and the first one was a cakewalk.  Retro's standard is to make highly challenging games, as was shown with Metroid Prime 1 and Metroid Prime 2.  That's Retro's style. 

This backs up my theory that Nintendo is the reason Metroid Prime 3 was the easiest thing since Paris Hilton--if left to Retro, it would've been just as challenging as the first two, but Nintendo gave them the singular guidance to "make it easy for the Blue Ocean crowd."

I would think Retro got the message that Metroid Prime 2 was too damn hard, and toned it down (we can also see that from the fact that Prime 2 in the Trilogy version is significantly less cheap on a few of the worst-offender bosses).

Not getting how Prime 3 was especially easy. More accessible controls, but they made up for that with some pretty vicious regular enemies. The enemies that could go hyper-mode on you could chew through health far faster than anything from Prime 1, and most of the stuff from Prime 2 (sans the cheap-o bosses: Boost Guardian, Emperor Ing Phase 3, and final Dark Samus)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I play Ikaruga. I'm not skerd of anything. The OP is just too soft for "real" gaming.

Personally, I feel the difficulty in this game is just fine, and its retro gameplay by definition. I hadn't had this much fun with a platformer for a long time now. And hey, though its hard is not as hard as people are whining all about. I conceed the time trials are crazy, cause they are. But finishing the game shouldn't be a problem for a decent gamer, even if he has to face loosing many lives every once and then.

Around the Network

I'm liking this game a lot.  It's the best 2D platformer released on the Wii and the game already have that "classic feeling" which is hard to explain, well done Retro Studios. And the difficulty is just typical Retro, really, recalling a lot the old platformers, and nothing that uber like story mode F-Zero GX or Ghosts N' Goblins.

makes me laugh when i see immature gamers struggle with classic gameplay. Man you haven't lived if CoD or Halo are your staple games. Games from yesteryear had the gameplay to tone your skills and reflexes to greater levels. I play CoD now and ppl say to how did you do that so fast, thanks games from the 80's for my reflexes! You havent lived!

Hardcore and Classic Gamer, collector and proud owner of:
NES, SNES (with Super GB), N64, GameCube (with GB Player), Wii
Game Boy Pocket, Virtual Boy, GBA sp, DS Lite
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Microsoft Xbox, Xbox360
Sony Playstation, PS2 Slim, PSP
Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx
NEC TurboGrafx-16
Neo-Geo Pocket Color
Mattel Intellivision
Coleco Telstar
Milton Bradley Microvision

no sign of a commodore 64 or amiga in your setup and you call yourself hardcore? :P

optoma1990 said:

Hardcore and Classic Gamer, collector and proud owner of:
NES, SNES (with Super GB), N64, GameCube (with GB Player), Wii
Game Boy Pocket, Virtual Boy, GBA sp, DS Lite
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Microsoft Xbox, Xbox360
Sony Playstation, PS2 Slim, PSP
Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx
NEC TurboGrafx-16
Neo-Geo Pocket Color
Mattel Intellivision
Coleco Telstar
Milton Bradley Microvision

no sign of a commodore 64 or amiga in your setup and you call yourself hardcore? :P

You are not hardcore if you own a Amiga or a commodore 64 you are just old.

Anyway i think it was Retro's intention to make this game 'hard', must say it brings back memories of the Nes/Snes Era but having fun with those kind of games today...well that is 'hard' aswell..  Challenging is okay..But cheap deaths don't make me want to play a game ....

Fluffy Bunny player nooowhere near hardcare gamer ^^^