By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3.5: Sony Patent Shows Plans To Increase PS3 Power

Hmm, I feel like this might really confuse the market, and they would have to put a disclaimer if some games require it.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network

If they were to do this, they would brand it something like PS3z or something and then games will start to have PS3z instead of PS3, which wouldn't confuse too much as long as they were to display a PS3z needs a PS3. If anything, it's a smart idea as it's like making a whole new console without the research and development, however I think a new console would be much better, even if it is just a PS3 with a little bit extra it would make the market think its new = probably more sales if it is not over priced.

Hmmm...Maybe this will happen with a slimer version of the PS3?

They would need to make a special bundle with a Strong franchise (maybe even CoD) like WM

Sell it a lot, and keep suport for both... sell it alone for less than 50$ and Special Bundle costing 30$ or less (and easy to install)... this way keeping an edge for 2 years or more while next gen don't come...

But would be a really bold move.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It didn't worked for the N64 (Expansion Pak) and it won't work for the PS3. Don't get stupid ideas, now, Sony!

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Around the Network

well they could ask ps3 owners to send there PS3's in for the upgrade at no additional charge!

Mr.Metralha said:

Can you just do it just like that?

Through the USB ports?

I'm mesmerized....

it would be hard as usb speed would be too low

KylieDog said:
scottie said:

It's just typical 'patent everything you think of whilst on the toilet incase it actually was brilliant' behaviour.

It wont work for exactly the reason the Wii HD would never have worked if it existed .

Game designers have the choice of;

Make no changes to code = no improvement

Make the game use more ram = severely reduces customer base

Make the game use more ram bundle the addon with your game = expensive

We shall see the PS4 quite soon, and this 3.5 shit is a fantasy

Or, you know. 

Make it so if you use the upgrade the game looks and performs better, but still runs fine without it.

You quote my post, delete my sentences that deal with having games run with or without the add-on and then criticise me for not mentioning it? 

A203D said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm all for devices that make 360 and PS3 more powerful if they can keep it cheap and it prolongs the life of the consoles.

I dont mind it either, but how will they implement it, because some people are bound to be unaware of this at all, and i dont like the idea of having an external add on to my PS3. i just want my PS3 to be a standalone unit.

i suppose they could release a new PS3 model, which incorperates those new components, and then older users can have their units upgraded at the Sony store.

but is this even necessary because developers are finding it very expensive to make games anyway, and if we look at stuff like Uncharted of God of War, it seems like developers can still do a lot with the hardware, as those games are by no mean obsolete at this point.

Hypothetically, what if they could attach a device that adds a better GPU and more RAM. That seems to be a components that are really being pushed on HD consoles.

Games designed for the imaginary hardware could have better draw distances, smoother frame rates, shaper textures,  perhaps split screen more often, etc.

Just an idea, and it seems Sony is considering something like it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

LOL personally i seriously think sony will just redesign ps3 and have this new processor added and call it ps4, ps4 will be like the wii strategy in many ways

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1