By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3.5: Sony Patent Shows Plans To Increase PS3 Power

thats an awesome article.. good share

“Absolutely, we can do much more with it. I don’t know if we are even close to 50 percent of PlayStation 3’s power at this point,” said Asmussen about God of War 3.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Around the Network

This doesn't mean that's definitely what there going to do guys, it's just a patent...

Baalzamon said:
HappySqurriel said:

I'm not convinced this would be for the PS3 ...

One of the things this generation has demonstrated is that the market is heavily splintered over the value of enhanced visuals; and some people are willing to pay $200 for better visuals while others are not. Hypothetically speaking, from a platform developer's perspective, it might make sense to design a system with performance enhancing add-ons and sell these from the start in order to market to multiple demographics effectively. With modern hardware this could be handled by having an add-on card that had a multi-core CPU, a sli/crossfire GPU and more memory.

While I think there would be merit in this approach, I'm not convinced that consumers would see value being that it would be difficult to create games that took advantage of the limited processing power gains of the add-ons that justified the cost of the add-ons without alienating individuals who didn't buy the add on.

Well, Nintendo (via the N64) made it so people who didn't have their add-on simply couldn't play the games...they just plain did not work, and I was perfectly fine with that, because we had the add-on.

It is an approach that could be taken, I just don't see it as being necessary ...

I could be wrong but I suspect that the typical use of an add on like this would be to increase the resolution, increase the frame rate, and/or increase the level of detail in the game. Depending on whether you wanted 2 or 3 add on cards, you could potentially create a platform that satisfied the typical cost-conscience gamer and the graphics whore who was willing to spend anything on games.

Right now ATI is still using the 40nm process for all of its GPUs and by the end of 2012 it is entirely plausable that they will have moved down to the 22nm process, which would mean that GPUs similar in processing power to the top of the line GPUs today will be energy efficient and very cost effective. These GPUs are so powerful that there is *almost* nothing that a developer would want to do that couldn't be done at 720p without an order of magnituded more processing power. If you add an additional GPU you could (potentially) maintain the quality of graphical assets and output at 1080p, or you could increase the quality of graphical assets (modestly) and output at 1280x1080; and if you added a third GPU you coupld potentially increase the quality of graphical assets even further while outputting at 1080p.

For the average Joe, you've produced a system that only costs $300 at launch and for the graphics whore you've produced a system that can (essentially) produce the best graphics a person could realistically expect at this point in time.

Gilgamesh said:

This doesn't mean that's definitely what there going to do guys, it's just a patent...

yea he's right

on another note: can't they make a patch for that?

This might happen with the PS4.