By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3.5: Sony Patent Shows Plans To Increase PS3 Power

I'm not convinced this would be for the PS3 ...

One of the things this generation has demonstrated is that the market is heavily splintered over the value of enhanced visuals; and some people are willing to pay $200 for better visuals while others are not. Hypothetically speaking, from a platform developer's perspective, it might make sense to design a system with performance enhancing add-ons and sell these from the start in order to market to multiple demographics effectively. With modern hardware this could be handled by having an add-on card that had a multi-core CPU, a sli/crossfire GPU and more memory.

While I think there would be merit in this approach, I'm not convinced that consumers would see value being that it would be difficult to create games that took advantage of the limited processing power gains of the add-ons that justified the cost of the add-ons without alienating individuals who didn't buy the add on.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:

wow i fuckn called it

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=49440

just wait til this whole prediction comes true

You got some lame replies there lol

Why don't they an add on for $50-100, lower the price of the Ps3 by 50 and release a Ps4 which would just be the ps3 with the add-on already inside for 349. The informed gamer community who don't have the cash to invest in another console can just get the add-on while those with money to burn will buy the ps4(ps3.5).

I think it will be like how microsoft is dealing with kinect for the 360.

Silver-Tiger said:

It didn't worked for the N64 (Expansion Pak) and it won't work for the PS3. Don't get stupid ideas, now, Sony!

Hmm, I sure am glad I could play donkey kong on my n64.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Don't do it Sony. Just release a full on PS4 the same time as the Next Xbox/Wii, but continue to support the PS3 for the first couple years of the PS4's life. 

Also if Sony puts BC in the PS4 (with PS3 games) then PS3 software will continue to sell nicely after the PS4 launches.

Around the Network

I think that Sony should make this thing for players wanting to play games in 3D with no biig graphical lost.

Baalzamon said:
Silver-Tiger said:

It didn't worked for the N64 (Expansion Pak) and it won't work for the PS3. Don't get stupid ideas, now, Sony!

or starfox 64

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Baalzamon said:
Silver-Tiger said:

or starfox 64

That too...that game was AMAZING

Mr Puggsly said:
A203D said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm all for devices that make 360 and PS3 more powerful if they can keep it cheap and it prolongs the life of the consoles.

I dont mind it either, but how will they implement it, because some people are bound to be unaware of this at all, and i dont like the idea of having an external add on to my PS3. i just want my PS3 to be a standalone unit.

i suppose they could release a new PS3 model, which incorperates those new components, and then older users can have their units upgraded at the Sony store.

but is this even necessary because developers are finding it very expensive to make games anyway, and if we look at stuff like Uncharted of God of War, it seems like developers can still do a lot with the hardware, as those games are by no mean obsolete at this point.

Hypothetically, what if they could attach a device that adds a better GPU and more RAM. That seems to be a components that are really being pushed on HD consoles.

Games designed for the imaginary hardware could have better draw distances, smoother frame rates, shaper textures,  perhaps split screen more often, etc.

Just an idea, and it seems Sony is considering something like it.

That's technically impossible - GPUs with power comparable to PS3 gpu or faster need dedicated bus with proper bandwidth. There's no such thing on PS3 motherboard. Same for ram.

However they could make PS3,5 with GPU and cell working at higher frequencies (there's been 2 die shrinks since they were designed there's plenty of performance headroom in those chips) which would run all ps3 games a bit faster.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

HappySqurriel said:

I'm not convinced this would be for the PS3 ...

One of the things this generation has demonstrated is that the market is heavily splintered over the value of enhanced visuals; and some people are willing to pay $200 for better visuals while others are not. Hypothetically speaking, from a platform developer's perspective, it might make sense to design a system with performance enhancing add-ons and sell these from the start in order to market to multiple demographics effectively. With modern hardware this could be handled by having an add-on card that had a multi-core CPU, a sli/crossfire GPU and more memory.

While I think there would be merit in this approach, I'm not convinced that consumers would see value being that it would be difficult to create games that took advantage of the limited processing power gains of the add-ons that justified the cost of the add-ons without alienating individuals who didn't buy the add on.

Well, Nintendo (via the N64) made it so people who didn't have their add-on simply couldn't play the games...they just plain did not work, and I was perfectly fine with that, because we had the add-on.