By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GT5 breaks PS3 sales records in Australia

1 billion dollars does not add up.. Even the mighty CoD baarely did it first week

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Hyruken said:
CGI-Quality said:
Hyruken said:
CGI-Quality said:

Not even 6 posts in and already the downplayers have come to crash the party

If anything, I expect a word from Sony soon, and ioi will adjust accordingly.

I wouldn't say down players was the right words. I think more like realists who realise that there are actually no numbers to back up claims. We see the word "record" thrown around and people assume this must mean VGC is wrong, the game has to be undertracked! When if you actually read the article it is worded very carefully. It says PS3 exclusive record. If you follow that through and have a look at the top selling PS3 exclusive in EMEAA it is GT5:P. So no surprises that its follow up might have done as'well as it?

Add to that Australia is not exactly known for its big game sales. And add even more to that PS3 is in 3rd place in Australia with 1m console sales. If a country like france which is one of the main markets for GT games sold 200k with 2.5m consoles to sell to what kind of numbers can we expect from somewhere like Australia?

Very very little in comparison.

Point being just because the article says record, doesn't mean big nimbers in comparison to places like US/UK/Japan etc. It means big numbers compared to what the format is used to selling in that region.

Now if he had said biggest selling PS3 game that would of meant a lot more. But he didn't because there are a lot more multi-platform games that have sold more. And more 360 and Wii games which have sold more.

Tonight will see the numbers for NPD released. If we have GT5 over-tracked i imagine your be the first person to say you guys were wrong then?

People with a habit of trashing something are known as downplayers. No way around it. When the same folks visit the same topic with the same behavior, that's what it is.

The article bit is irrelvant, because when we do have solid figures, those same folks parade through a thread with similar tactics. Defend it all you want, but that's what it is.

But by that logic there are also "up players" too then.

Wouldn't that normally be classified as fanboyism?

I don't use the word 'fanboy", so to me, no it doesn't. It's called playing down something you don't favor.

Fair enough. But to me someone saying something is under-tracked based on this article is clutching at straws to prove an agenda. Because as mentioned the article has no numbers, even has the guy saying he won't comment on if the 2.5m first week numbers was true or not. Says best 4 days for a PS3 exclusive and so on. There are a lot of things there which make the article look like a low substance PR article.

Don't get me wrong breaking any record is a great achivement. But in small game sale regions it doesn't mean it is the same in bigger game sale regions. People thinking the game has to be under-tracked based on an article with no numbers at all is pretty silly i think.

Hyruken said:
CGI-Quality said:
Hyruken said:
CGI-Quality said:
Hyruken said:
CGI-Quality said:

I wouldn't say down players was the right words. I think more like realists who realise that there are actually no numbers to back up claims. We see the word "record" thrown around and people assume this must mean VGC is wrong, the game has to be undertracked! When if you actually read the article it is worded very carefully. It says PS3 exclusive record. If you follow that through and have a look at the top selling PS3 exclusive in EMEAA it is GT5:P. So no surprises that its follow up might have done as'well as it?

Add to that Australia is not exactly known for its big game sales. And add even more to that PS3 is in 3rd place in Australia with 1m console sales. If a country like france which is one of the main markets for GT games sold 200k with 2.5m consoles to sell to what kind of numbers can we expect from somewhere like Australia?

Point being just because the article says record, doesn't mean big nimbers in comparison to places like US/UK/Japan etc. It means big numbers compared to what the format is used to selling in that region.

Now if he had said biggest selling PS3 game that would of meant a lot more. But he didn't because there are a lot more multi-platform games that have sold more. And more 360 and Wii games which have sold more.

Tonight will see the numbers for NPD released. If we have GT5 over-tracked i imagine your be the first person to say you guys were wrong then?

People with a habit of trashing something are known as downplayers. No way around it. When the same folks visit the same topic with the same behavior, that's what it is.

The article bit is irrelvant, because when we do have solid figures, those same folks parade through a thread with similar tactics. Defend it all you want, but that's what it is.

I don't use the word 'fanboy", so to me, no it doesn't. It's called playing down something you don't favor.

Fair enough. But to me someone saying something is under-tracked based on this article is clutching at straws to prove an agenda. Because as mentioned the article has no numbers, even has the guy saying he won't comment on if the 2.5m first week numbers was true or not. Says best 4 days for a PS3 exclusive and so on. There are a lot of things there which make the article look like a low substance PR article.

Don't get me wrong breaking any record is a great achivement. But in small game sale regions it doesn't mean it is the same in bigger game sale regions. People thinking the game has to be under-tracked based on an article with no numbers at all is pretty silly i think.

People are saying GT5 undertracked because all article of sales (with numbers)... there are 4 or 5 contries reporting sales records com impressive numbers in EMEAA.

Sheesh, people! This doesn't prove your "undertrackedzzz!!!!!!" predictions true at all, >.>, that 2.5m has no source and is basically a loserish prediction from some guy or another, not from Sony or anyone reliable.

I seriously doubt that a random site can predict sales better than VGC.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

ethomaz said:
Hyruken said:
CGI-Quality said:
Hyruken said:
CGI-Quality said:
Hyruken said:
CGI-Quality said:

People are saying GT5 undertracked because all article of sales (with numbers)... there are 4 or 5 contries reporting sales records com impressive numbers in EMEAA.

Well let's see those numbers

As far as we know we got

UK - 265k

What are the others for the EMEAA region?

Around the Network
kopstudent89 said:

1 billion dollars does not add up.. Even the mighty CoD baarely did it first week

Yeah, at an average price of $70 you would need to sell over 14 million copies. Maybe austrailian dollars, what are they worth?

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Nsanity said:
Mordred11 said:

GT5 being undertracked here was a no-brainer anyway.

Maybe you should have read the whole article before discredited VG numbers

More than 2.5 million copies have reportedly been sold in the first week (Sony won't confirm or deny)

So GT5 is selling well.  Chill.

CGI-Quality said:
Immortal said:

Sheesh, people! This doesn't prove your "undertrackedzzz!!!!!!" predictions true at all, >.>, that 2.5m has no source and is basically a loserish prediction from some guy or another, not from Sony or anyone reliable.

In fairness, there have already been system adjustments. I'm thinking there will be game sales adjustments as well.

System adjustments there have been. Frequent and huge. That much I can agree on, though I don't consider it a valid excuse to attack VGC numbers everytime they appear.

Software adjustments, on the other hand, I haven't seen many of at all. Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen a game being off by over ~10%. Not a major one like this, anyway.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Hyruken said:
Well let's see those numbers

As far as we know we got

UK - 265k

What are the others for the EMEAA region?

First week sales...

UK: 265-275k
France: 235k
Spain: 92k
Italy: over 100k (record)
Finland: over 40k (double-platinum record)
India: over 20k (record)

Off-topic: GT5 became a console on N4G... LOLZ... HUGE HYPE.

CGI-Quality said:
Immortal said:
CGI-Quality said:
Immortal said:

In fairness, there have already been system adjustments. I'm thinking there will be game sales adjustments as well.

System adjustments there have been. Frequent and huge. That much I can agree on, though I don't consider it a valid excuse to attack VGC numbers everytime they appear.

Software adjustments, on the other hand, I haven't seen many of at all. Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen a game being off by over ~10%. Not a major one like this, anyway.

Depends on how long you've been here. There have been many software adjustments (some quite hefty). I wouldn't condone attacking VGC, after all tracking this stuff isn't an easy task. But I do understand some of the concerns.

It sure is a hard feat, and they don't deserv to be attacked. But of course there is a huge possibility of adjustments, for better or worse, big or small... Ioi always adjust so they can be precise, I don't see the harm in this.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."