By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Against the grain: What Nintendo SHOULD have done/should do with the Wii

Conegamer said:
snfr said:

It's a bit surprising that there are still bad news about the Wii. It's has been a "gimmick", "toy", and it seems to be "doomed" every year again. And still Nintendo is rocking in sales every year again.

So I agree with you cone. Wii will be fine next year, and doing great numbers this year and it has always been doing well in the past. And I doubt Nintendo would have sold many more millions if it had HD and better online. I mean, its' price would have been higher, which would have probably caused lower sales, and not higher ones. It's still doing better than the PS2, too, and that is really an achievement. Nintendo did everything right, but the press doesn't seem to realize it.

Now about Nintendo's next console: well, I could see Nintendo doing the same with the Wii2 as with the 3DS. They could pretty much aim more for the so called core gamers and have a great 3rd party support. At least that's what I hope for.

I'm glad to see you agree

I don't get it, as you say, why the wii is always "doomed". Where do they get this information from?

From journalists that follow this moron as the freakin' wizard of oz without questioning his reasons

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
snfr said:

It's a bit surprising that there are still bad news about the Wii. It's has been a "gimmick", "toy", and it seems to be "doomed" every year again. And still Nintendo is rocking in sales every year again.

So I agree with you cone. Wii will be fine next year, and doing great numbers this year and it has always been doing well in the past. And I doubt Nintendo would have sold many more millions if it had HD and better online. I mean, its' price would have been higher, which would have probably caused lower sales, and not higher ones. It's still doing better than the PS2, too, and that is really an achievement. Nintendo did everything right, but the press doesn't seem to realize it.

Now about Nintendo's next console: well, I could see Nintendo doing the same with the Wii2 as with the 3DS. They could pretty much aim more for the so called core gamers and have a great 3rd party support. At least that's what I hope for.

I don't get it, as you say, why the wii is always "doomed". Where do they get this information from?

I don't know it either. And it's weird because I haven't seen anyone saying that the PS2 was doomed last gen.
Perhaps it has something to do with Nintendo's image, as their consoles were probably always seen as more kiddy then the competition (well, at least since Sony stepped into console business). So as long as Sony or MS seem to have something big in the works, Nintendo is always doomed for them.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Conegamer said:
Beuli2 said:
Conegamer said:
Immortal said:
Conegamer said:
Immortal said:
oniyide said:

Ninty is doing exactly the right thing now, actually making games and not some shovelware WiiWhatever crap, I dont care how much WiiSports has sold, its still a barely working game with no depth. Ninty is smart they are leaving the casuals before the casuals get bored and SONY and MS are only now getting on that. I think that in the beginning there R&D should have spent more time on getting the Wiimote to actualy be as accurate as possible and im not hating we all know the Wiimote is not accurate. the existence of motion proves that. Maybe 3rd parties could have been able to have more quality software to go with hardware that actually works. And WiiWare, god damn Ninty I know you dont really care for online and you have to much pride to be a "follower" but good lord the online is horrible. As much crap as the PSN gets at least Sony is steadily improving it. Its like Ninty isnt even trying to improve

That's insulting. It isn't shovelware and "WiiWhatever crap". Wii Sports is a great game and honestly, you shouldn't talk about casuals getting bored with the Wii. For the past 25 years now, Nintendo's been after the hardcore audience. What do they get? Continuously declining sales. If Nintendo hadn't gone the "casual" way, it would've left the home console business right now and the DS would have been destroyed by the PSP. We have historical proof that the hardcores aren't loyal at all (Nintendo till this gen, Sony with PS3...) and easily get bored of their hardware manufacturers. We have nothing that can actually prove to us that casuals don't stick to their manufacturers yet. In a worst case scenario, casuals can only be as bad and as easily bored as hardcores, almost certainly not worse.

Insulting is a bit far. Misinformed? Maybe

But, as I said, nintendo should keep the Wii going, at least 2 years after the Wii2 release with regiular, multiplat releases, as well as WiiWare, VC, 3rd Party etc. But, we'll have to see with the 3DS first!

Well, yeah, :P. I get a bit touchy when people criticize such an awesome game needlessly, xD. Besides, "shovelware" and "Wii whatevercrap" is insulting.

It is insulting. You just don't say it really! I don't think he meant "Wiiwahtevercrap" anyway in an informed decision, because that is wrong and needlessly uninformed. Insulting? No. Uninformed? Yes. 

Hey! I like that Wiiwahtevercrap! I played more than 25 hours alone in Wii Sports, and only haven't played it more because the best game ever came.

Wii Sports Resort>Wii Sports

conegamer > your face.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Bobbuffalo said:
Conegamer said:
snfr said:

From journalists that follow this moron as the freakin' wizard of oz without questioning his reasons

Ha, yeah, too true! Every year he refused to admit his prediction that the Wii would plop and the PS3 would come first was wrong, so tried to blame Nintendo. Things seem to be changing now though!

Funny to see what his prediction will be...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Beuli2 said:
Conegamer said:
Beuli2 said:
Conegamer said:
Immortal said:
Conegamer said:
Immortal said:
oniyide said:

Ninty is doing exactly the right thing now, actually making games and not some shovelware WiiWhatever crap, I dont care how much WiiSports has sold, its still a barely working game with no depth. Ninty is smart they are leaving the casuals before the casuals get bored and SONY and MS are only now getting on that. I think that in the beginning there R&D should have spent more time on getting the Wiimote to actualy be as accurate as possible and im not hating we all know the Wiimote is not accurate. the existence of motion proves that. Maybe 3rd parties could have been able to have more quality software to go with hardware that actually works. And WiiWare, god damn Ninty I know you dont really care for online and you have to much pride to be a "follower" but good lord the online is horrible. As much crap as the PSN gets at least Sony is steadily improving it. Its like Ninty isnt even trying to improve

That's insulting. It isn't shovelware and "WiiWhatever crap". Wii Sports is a great game and honestly, you shouldn't talk about casuals getting bored with the Wii. For the past 25 years now, Nintendo's been after the hardcore audience. What do they get? Continuously declining sales. If Nintendo hadn't gone the "casual" way, it would've left the home console business right now and the DS would have been destroyed by the PSP. We have historical proof that the hardcores aren't loyal at all (Nintendo till this gen, Sony with PS3...) and easily get bored of their hardware manufacturers. We have nothing that can actually prove to us that casuals don't stick to their manufacturers yet. In a worst case scenario, casuals can only be as bad and as easily bored as hardcores, almost certainly not worse.

Insulting is a bit far. Misinformed? Maybe

But, as I said, nintendo should keep the Wii going, at least 2 years after the Wii2 release with regiular, multiplat releases, as well as WiiWare, VC, 3rd Party etc. But, we'll have to see with the 3DS first!

Well, yeah, :P. I get a bit touchy when people criticize such an awesome game needlessly, xD. Besides, "shovelware" and "Wii whatevercrap" is insulting.

It is insulting. You just don't say it really! I don't think he meant "Wiiwahtevercrap" anyway in an informed decision, because that is wrong and needlessly uninformed. Insulting? No. Uninformed? Yes. 

Hey! I like that Wiiwahtevercrap! I played more than 25 hours alone in Wii Sports, and only haven't played it more because the best game ever came.

Wii Sports Resort>Wii Sports

conegamer > your face.

conegamer>all actually

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I have to agree with a lot of your points, especially the 2012 Wii 2 release. Many, including you and I, believe with our gut Nintendo will announce a successor to the Wii in 2011.

I disagree vehemently with the notion that Nintendo can even threaten the core base of the 360 or PS3 for a multitude of reasons:

1. Gamers who exclusively PS3 or 360 value online gameplay (FPS mostly), have some if not extensive PC gaming experience, prefer non-linear and/or open world sand box experiences for non FPS games, and place a premium on graphics.

2. Nintendo views multi-player as a living room experience amongst family and friends, has Mario and other franchises which trump any and all Sony and Microsoft franchises leaving them reluctant to depend on anyone, much less a 3rd party, to advise them on how to create a massively selling game, and prefer consoles with less graphic capabilities in order to win the price war with Sony...and Microsoft to a lesser extent.

I could definitely be wrong in my assumptions, but if you take Castlevania: Lords of the Shadow and Enslaved as an example of Japanese 3rd party trying to crack into the Western market, then what you really see is they don't have a clue to what Western gamers value. Yes they get it right on the graphics part, but they miss out on online gameplay, a game created with no Japanese audience in mind, and non-linear gameplay.

If it is not Square Enix, a Street Fighter game, or a game from Kojima, or an excellent FPS like Vanquish, the West could care less about games from Japanese 3rd party devs.

Nintendo has been catering to their core market with Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Donkey Kong games, yet for some reason you have a game like Black Ops setting sales records in selling 7 million in 2 days. What this tells us is that Nintendo cannot rely solely on creating the best 1st party games to take away from Microsoft and Sony. They need  3rd party developers, but as I illuminated above Japanese 3rd party devs, this generation, have failed to make a dent in the Western market unless it is a: 1. Square Enix game, 2. Street Fighter game, 3. Kojima game, or 4. An excellent FPS like Vanquish.

To be successful, Nintendo has to stop trying to appease these journalists and core gamers. This is all they've done this year. Look:

• They told them to make more core games on Wii and they did. (SMG2, M:OM)
  • They told them to make a Black Wii and they did (with Wii Motion included)
  • They told them to release a good online game on the Wii and they did. (MH3)

Result: Wii sales fall even lower than last year.

To Nintendo: STOP listening to these morons. START listening to the sales charts that you have lit up for the past 4 years. Here's what you should do:

-Release yearly or at least bi-yearly Wii Sports and Wii Fit sequels.

-Release yearly 2d Mario Games with NEW worlds in each one.

-Make the Wii Vitality Sensor happen very soon!

mortono said:

To be successful, Nintendo has to stop trying to appease these journalists and core gamers. This is all they've done this year. Look:

• They told them to make more core games on Wii and they did. (SMG2, M:OM)
  • They told them to make a Black Wii and they did (with Wii Motion included)
  • They told them to release a good online game on the Wii and they did. (MH3)

Result: Wii sales fall even lower than last year.

To Nintendo: STOP listening to these morons. START listening to the sales charts that you have lit up for the past 4 years. Here's what you should do:

-Release yearly or at least bi-yearly Wii Sports and Wii Fit sequels.

-Release yearly 2d Mario Games with NEW worlds in each one.

-Make the Wii Vitality Sensor happen very soon!

I agree 100%. What made the Wii successful is that it is essentially a retro console. Where any given generation one can expect Sony to go for the highest graphics and Microsoft to try and turn their console into a PC gaming experience, Nintendo with the Wii said screw all that, tried something against the best advice of the industry, and hit a bonanza.

I do have some reservations and it revolves around the attach ratio for the Wii compared to the 360 and PS3. From what I have read, the Wii has the lowest attach ratio of all the current consoles meaning the individuals who buy the Wii buy it for a game like Wii Sports or Wii Fit and then they rarely if ever purchase another Wii game. Contrary, those who game 360 and/or PS3 can be counted on to buy 2 or more new 360/PS3 games a year.

I am sure Nintendo catered to their "core" with Other M because their internal data shows the Blue Ocean is full of fickle consumers who buy on fad, not love for gaming. Thusforth, Nintendo with their 2010 lineup has shown even they doubt the market which made the Wii such a hit.

Could it be the Wii is an annual fad around Christmas time? If so, then it was inevitable for the Wii to experience a year over year decline from 2008 to 2009, 2009 to 2010 and so on.

By fad, let me give you an example. One of my co-workers loves Harry Potter and when she heard of a Harry Potter game coming out for the Wii she was talking about buying a Wii. Her and I hang out on our days off and never before has the Wii come up in conversation. Fast forward 2 weeks and she is no longer enthusiastically talking about buying a Wii.

Take into account her boyfriend, also a co-worker and friend of mine, is a big 360 user. I am fairly sure he saw a review of the game and talked her out of buying the Wii for various reasons, the most important being the money would be better saved than spent.

Fads like the situation I described above do not last and are not as dependable as that lowly, "hardcore" gamer who exclusively games on the 360 and/or PS3.

So Nintendo is steering towards selling more than 100 million Wiis (and all of those units for a PROFIT!) and a ton of their games sells more than a million or even more than 10 million copies... and some journalists or whatever know everything better? ... Yeah...

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

I would like to take this opportunity to ask this.

Why did Nintendo decide not to make the Wii HD in the first place? Was it because of the cost of the Wii?