By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Greenburg tweets an Nov NPD tease ...

Darth Tigris said:
fighter said:

Honestly this sucks.

The more the 360 sells the further away the 720 is... And Sony won't start the next gen until it has recovered some of the sunken costs this gen... Hopefully Nintendo in 2012 !

What's so bad about that?  This gen still has most consoles at a cost exceeding $200.  PC graphics technology hasn't skyrocketed past what these consoles are still doing.  To be honest, what would the next gen of consoles even have to bring that would make you spend $500 on new one soon?

If it were announced today that would make 2years before launch so there would be plenty to improve

With Kinect prolungating the 360 lifecycle 720 might be announced in 2012 for a 2014 launch... cough... pain... cough...

PS. Moore's law is still valid today, despite having slown down a bit due to silicium constraints, and my guess is that PCgaming graphically hasn't sky-rocketed due to lesser budgets and not technolog

Around the Network
postofficebuddy said:
Seece said:
postofficebuddy said:
Darth Tigris said:
smbu2000 said:

When will the npd numbers be "released"?

I know there won't be an actual release but companies will put out numbers. ;-p

Tomorrow around 6pm EST.  

It's not near the same as it used to be, though, as we now have to wait for Pachter or sometimes Greenburg or Major Nelson to say something.  Since the new NPD, Sony and Nintendo haven't said much.  Based on this tweet, I expect Greenburg to have something to celebrate so I expect a tweet from him sometime tomorrow evening.

Actually I think it's coming out early this month. I think it's around 4pm EST.

Interesting, do you know why?

No clue. I just remember someone on Gaf posting an NPD release schedule for the next few months. I'll see if I can dig the post up.

:edit: Gaf has it at 4pm in their November NPD prediction thread.

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=24618915&postcount=1

Isnt that when the press gets it?  Thought the manufacturers got the data about a day earlier.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Darth Tigris said:
fighter said:

Honestly this sucks.

The more the 360 sells the further away the 720 is... And Sony won't start the next gen until it has recovered some of the sunken costs this gen... Hopefully Nintendo in 2012 !

What's so bad about that?  This gen still has most consoles at a cost exceeding $200.  PC graphics technology hasn't skyrocketed past what these consoles are still doing.  To be honest, what would the next gen of consoles even have to bring that would make you spend $500 on new one soon?

Exactly.  I hope to god we don't see another new console from either Sony or Microsoft for 2 years.  I spent ALOT of money on those bad boys plus all the games and I want to be able to spend time enjoying them.  Plus like you said PC graphics haven't vastly outperformed consoles yet at all.  Obviously the PC still has better graphics but its not like you lookat a PC game then look at something like Uncharted 2 and go "eww that looks awful I can't even play it".  

Not to mention I don't think the public will support new consoles at this point.  I think if a PS4 or Xbox 720 were to launch within the next 12 - 14 months it would be a catastrophic failure upon launch.  They would be hella expensive and theres still people going out and buying tons of 300 dollar systems right now.  THe public would feel burned.

postofficebuddy said:
Seece said:

Interesting, do you know why?

No clue. I just remember someone on Gaf posting an NPD release schedule for the next few months. I'll see if I can dig the post up.

:edit: Gaf has it at 4pm in their November NPD prediction thread.

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=24618915&postcount=1

Niiiice, they can have an NPD prediction thread without it falling apart with crappy "Yeh but NPD /= world" posts.

fighter said:
Darth Tigris said:
fighter said:

Honestly this sucks.

If it were announced today that would make 2years before launch so there would be plenty to improve

With Kinect prolungating the 360 lifecycle 720 might be announced in 2012 for a 2014 launch... cough... pain... cough...

PS. Moore's law is still valid today, despite having slown down a bit due to silicium constraints, and my guess is that PCgaming graphically hasn't sky-rocketed due to lesser budgets and not technolog

2013 at the earliest is what I've been preaching for the last couple of years.  

It makes more sense now with Kinect being an early success for MS to give it at least 3 holidays free and clear before introducing/announcing the next generation of Xbox Kinect.  The Wii has been doing ridiculous numbers with outdated system specs and I'm sure MS could milk the 360 for even longer if they wanted with Kinect's introduction.  Plus, from a thread someone made up here, the 360 has been bringing in profits but the entire Xbox initiative has not.  Early losses were THAT big with the first Xbox.

Sony needs to make more money from the PS3 project before moving on to the PS4 and, based on quarterly earnings, it still hasn't made them any profit yet after wiping out all profits from previous gens.  That should change soon, though, possibly with the next statement, but a long, long way before returning the Playstation to a profitable project (probably never).

Nintendo ... don't really have a huge reason to upgrade, but I think they will come 2012 at the earliest.  I don't see it next year, especially after the holiday the Wii is turning out.  Profits are not even a factor, as they are doing more than fine.

Around the Network

So Gaf have it down for 4pm in their November NPD prediction thread.

NPD always find ways to surprise us. Can't wait.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

You guys never cease to amaze me. The data comes out 4 PM every month but its never public until 6:30 PM. Don't be dissapointed when you have no information tommorow at 4 PM ET

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

BenVTrigger said:
Darth Tigris said:
fighter said:

Honestly this sucks.

Exactly.  I hope to god we don't see another new console from either Sony or Microsoft for 2 years.  I spent ALOT of money on those bad boys plus all the games and I want to be able to spend time enjoying them.  Plus like you said PC graphics haven't vastly outperformed consoles yet at all.  Obviously the PC still has better graphics but its not like you lookat a PC game then look at something like Uncharted 2 and go "eww that looks awful I can't even play it".  

Not to mention I don't think the public will support new consoles at this point.  I think if a PS4 or Xbox 720 were to launch within the next 12 - 14 months it would be a catastrophic failure upon launch.  They would be hella expensive and theres still people going out and buying tons of 300 dollar systems right now.  THe public would feel burned.

And that is because of developing expenses. Tech wise PC is just as far ahead as it was last gen during same timeframe. Though I agree that we don't need new hw for couple of years. Developers are already struggling with developing costs of this gen consoles.

Why doesn't Twitter ban Aaron Greenburg?

He's more annoying than anonymous.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.