By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I finally finished Final Fantasy XIII...and I didn't really like it

Its one of the worst RPGs ive played for all the reasons you stated.I think japanese RPGs have lost it ,i much prefer west developed games,like the ex Mass Effect 2 and fable games.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
The Xbox Man said:

PullusPardus said:

you should play the older games before saying that.

they're very shallow, being stereotypical whiny and "Headstrong woman" like you said is very very shallow, they don't develop at all, hope whines from the start of the game till the moment i left it, and Vanille is just "O HAI!" the whole time , and fang for some reason cares way too much about her (i mean Way way too much, as if she was her daughter or something, but in reality they barely met) , and Lightning is always "i shall finish this..even if costs me my (something) " , and to be honest i don't really know what they actually want from all this "Focus" thing, and how amazingly cliche every villian turn out to be.... well to be honest i can write about this all day, but it still doesn't change the fact that it was messy storyline with uninteresting everything.

also i remember you mentioning this being your first RPG , well damn you picked the worst game to start with this amazing genre.

I have played the older games, just after I played FF13. If the older games are "so much better" it shouldn't matter if I played them before or after FF13, and no FYI I didn't find them so much better and VIII I found terrible. And your post is ridiculous, how far into the game did you get? Vanille is "Oh ha" all the time? Did you even get to chapter 6 in the game when Vanille stops being chirpy after a "truth" is revealed. Lightning and Hope both develop a lot from Chapter 5 to Chapter 9, if Hope is still whiny where you left the game I doubt your that far in. Fang and Vanille haven't known eachother? Lets just ignore their time spent together on Pulse. And "focus" thing, none of them  know their real focus in the first place, how will they know what they want, its obvious you never got the the point where their focus is revealed? Two of them decide to run away (sazh/vanille), 2 of them decide to go to the centre of things and attack (Lightning/Hope). There were differing opinions. And I still say the characters are no less interesting than characters in the older games. This wasn't my first RPG, I am a WRPG veteran, and this "worst game" will always be one of my favourites in the JRPG genre. Whats clear is you simply haven't played much of the game and have no idea about the story, not only me but others pointed this out too.

even after revealing that she is the cause of that little kid Dajh's becoming what he became, she was still very annoying,

Lightning is always "Target's a target" , she never develop besides being a "Badass" and always going headfirst, shes the most uninteresting character out of the bunch a lot like Squall and Cloud in FFVIII and FFVII , but a lot less annoying than Squall..... a lot

even when hope (and after long 15 hours of being annoying) loses his interest of blaming snow he still is on the "FUCK MY LIFE!" motto , only now after he talks to lightning about his motives (in that really boring bridge-like level in chapter 5 i think?) he is actually into a "FUCK MY LIFE BJUT I WANT TO BE MY OWN LEADER!"

Vanille and Fang both lived in the same world, but there is no connection whatsoever and the writters seem to just be "Lulz lets just have these two be like lesbians and have them get seperated!" Fang loves Vanille way too much but she suddenly have the urge to get seperated oh and not to mention this scene , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyDOQgMvYCY  its as if the writers suddenly decided they want those two to be comic relief characters now that they don't know what to do with them.

Also the part where you mentioned Sazh and Vanille "Running away" was very hilariously bad, when she revealed that shes the one who did turn his kid into an LCie , he suddenly decide " well damn gurl! i just go an shoot ma self now to end all diz bullshit!" , i was"WTF ?!" why would he suddenly want to do that instead of saving his son? not to mention that actually happens right after he tells her "You think you die and everything will be back to NORMAL!?!?" when she tells him to "shoot me!"

Fang & Vanille did live together. If you actually got to pulse you'd visit their village and their home, they used to stay together in one town, they were like family. You once again show lack of knowledge of the game.

I don't see how Vanille was annoying after that, she didn't speak that much. She is no more annoying than Rikku for example. Sazh tries to kill himself because in case you didn't notice his son had turned into a crystal, an eternal state, Sazh never thought he could save his son after that, his son wasn't really there to save anymore, thats why he wants to kill himself as there was nothing worth living for, he was having a nervous breakdown. Your Hope bit doesn't make any sense to me, you have the order of events wrong, the bridge level is before he loses interest in killing snow.

The Xbox Man said:
PullusPardus said:
The Xbox Man said:

PullusPardus said:

they're very shallow, being stereotypical whiny and "Headstrong woman" like you said is very very shallow, they don't develop at all, hope whines from the start of the game till the moment i left it, and Vanille is just "O HAI!" the whole time , and fang for some reason cares way too much about her (i mean Way way too much, as if she was her daughter or something, but in reality they barely met) , and Lightning is always "i shall finish this..even if costs me my (something) " , and to be honest i don't really know what they actually want from all this "Focus" thing, and how amazingly cliche every villian turn out to be.... well to be honest i can write about this all day, but it still doesn't change the fact that it was messy storyline with uninteresting everything.

also i remember you mentioning this being your first RPG , well damn you picked the worst game to start with this amazing genre.

I have played the older games, just after I played FF13. If the older games are "so much better" it shouldn't matter if I played them before or after FF13, and no FYI I didn't find them so much better and VIII I found terrible. And your post is ridiculous, how far into the game did you get? Vanille is "Oh ha" all the time? Did you even get to chapter 6 in the game when Vanille stops being chirpy after a "truth" is revealed. Lightning and Hope both develop a lot from Chapter 5 to Chapter 9, if Hope is still whiny where you left the game I doubt your that far in. Fang and Vanille haven't known eachother? Lets just ignore their time spent together on Pulse. And "focus" thing, none of them  know their real focus in the first place, how will they know what they want, its obvious you never got the the point where their focus is revealed? Two of them decide to run away (sazh/vanille), 2 of them decide to go to the centre of things and attack (Lightning/Hope). There were differing opinions. And I still say the characters are no less interesting than characters in the older games. This wasn't my first RPG, I am a WRPG veteran, and this "worst game" will always be one of my favourites in the JRPG genre. Whats clear is you simply haven't played much of the game and have no idea about the story, not only me but others pointed this out too.

even after revealing that she is the cause of that little kid Dajh's becoming what he became, she was still very annoying,

Lightning is always "Target's a target" , she never develop besides being a "Badass" and always going headfirst, shes the most uninteresting character out of the bunch a lot like Squall and Cloud in FFVIII and FFVII , but a lot less annoying than Squall..... a lot

even when hope (and after long 15 hours of being annoying) loses his interest of blaming snow he still is on the "FUCK MY LIFE!" motto , only now after he talks to lightning about his motives (in that really boring bridge-like level in chapter 5 i think?) he is actually into a "FUCK MY LIFE BJUT I WANT TO BE MY OWN LEADER!"

Vanille and Fang both lived in the same world, but there is no connection whatsoever and the writters seem to just be "Lulz lets just have these two be like lesbians and have them get seperated!" Fang loves Vanille way too much but she suddenly have the urge to get seperated oh and not to mention this scene , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyDOQgMvYCY  its as if the writers suddenly decided they want those two to be comic relief characters now that they don't know what to do with them.

Also the part where you mentioned Sazh and Vanille "Running away" was very hilariously bad, when she revealed that shes the one who did turn his kid into an LCie , he suddenly decide " well damn gurl! i just go an shoot ma self now to end all diz bullshit!" , i was"WTF ?!" why would he suddenly want to do that instead of saving his son? not to mention that actually happens right after he tells her "You think you die and everything will be back to NORMAL!?!?" when she tells him to "shoot me!"

Fang & Vanille did live together. If you actually got to pulse you'd visit their village and their home, they used to stay together in one town, they were like family. You once again show lack of knowledge of the game.

I don't see how Vanille was annoying after that, she didn't speak that much. She is no more annoying than Rikku for example. Sazh tries to kill himself because in case you didn't notice his son had turned into a crystal, an eternal state, Sazh never thought he could save his son after that, his son wasn't really there to save anymore, thats why he wants to kill himself as there was nothing worth living for, he was having a nervous breakdown. Your Hope bit doesn't make any sense to me, you have the order of events wrong, the bridge level is before he loses interest in killing snow.

@bolded . read the bolded

at rest, Vanille doesn't ... speak that much? shes the one narrating everything, why would sazh kill himself if he knew that Serah is also a crystal and that they're all trying to save serah? 

i've never said the bridge level is after he loses intrest in killing snow.

Yep, worst FF ever, period. Lets forget about the linearlity for awhile, since every FF si more or less linear with varying degree of freedom. FF is about story and characters.

Story: What the heck is all those words that the characters keep flinging to me, Lacie? Falcie? Purge? Sanctum? Psi-com? Nothing make any sense at all. And the ending? They all say they do not want to play to the hands of the gods by slaying them according to the god's plan (what a bunch of suicidal maniac the gods are), but end up slaying them anyway, and surprise surpise, end up the world was SAVE anyway by a miracle. Ughh

I can understand FFX 's Sin very easiiy, and love the concept of a terrible judmentday monster that come back every 10 years. Yuna suffering by knowing that she will die for only 10 years of peace, yet she shoulder on. What a beautiful story.

Characters:

Lightning: Im perfectly O.K. with a strong female heroin, Lighting just get ANGRY, ANGRIER AND ANGRIEST, like Kratos. I dont care about Kratos in God of War cause its just a hack and slash game, but I basically just hate Lightning. We can have strong but respectable heroine like Disney Mulan, Lighning? I want to push her off a cliff.

Snow: So perfectly sculpted body, with zero IQ inside his head. Who cares?

Vanielle: When she open her mouth, I worry for my glasswares.

So thats it, its not a FF at all, just some below average RPG with an O.K. fighting system put in a glossy character design.

Yes, it's one of the worst RPGs ever created. It's almost certainly the worst big budget RPGs created. The only plus points I took from the game were the fast and fairly fun battle system and that the characters were fairly well developed (not that I liked half the characters, but that's preference).

What really annoyed me was the sheer lack of variety in the game. There was nothing to it but battles and cut scenes. It was also ridiculously linear. All previous FF games are somewhat linear but they mask it well with open areas (world maps in all up to IX), side quests (Blitzball, chocobo breeding), towns, points off the beaten path (optional towns like Gongaga in FFVII) and simple but effective puzzle elements (temples in FFX). This was ridiculously linear with nothing else to engage in.

The storyline and the storytelling is also very poorly done. The cutscenes develop the characters but only skim the surface of the overall story. To gather details of the story you have to read a datalog rather than discovering the story through exploration (as one would expect in the vast majority of RPGs, Western and Eastern). I've played FPS' where the storytelling utilises the interactive nature of game to a higher degree than FFXIII.

Reading dev logs and playing through the game it's obvious the game was a developmental nightmare. They spent years creating art assets (many of which they didn't use) and only started properly designing the game after the Japanese demo (effectively 1 year of development). Had they utilised that time (4/5 yrs?) properly this game could have been so much more.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
The Xbox Man said:
PullusPardus said:
The Xbox Man said:

PullusPardus said:

@bolded . read the bolded

at rest, Vanille doesn't ... speak that much? shes the one narrating everything, why would sazh kill himself if he knew that Serah is also a crystal and that they're all trying to save serah? 

i've never said the bridge level is after he loses intrest in killing snow.

I did, you say there's no connection, but there is they were like family. Fang sees Vanille as her little sister, see the language she uses, "You've been through a lot kid" (she says this on Pulse), is that how lesbian's speak with each other? No its how an older sister would talk to her younger sister. Your paragraph about Hope made no sense. Your opinion about the characters are your own, I can't change them but I can point out factual errors your making.

Im just waiting on that Square conference now to know more about Versus XIII and Agito XIII!!

My thoughts exactly.

I played it till the end (though it took me a long time as on first try I lost interest pretty fast). I even clocked up close too 100 hours after grinding to get a last couple of trophies. But as a whole at the my whole experience was...  meh.

Having played FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10, FF-10/2 previously, this quickly became the least enjoyable of them all, yes even worse than 10-2. I never felt attached to any of the characters even though they seemed to try to force it on you.

The combat system was just plain awful, often feeling like I could get through the whole game by doing nothing more than pressing X a few times... actually I reckon that is probably possible.

The story was confusing and hard (to me impossible) to follow, at times I didnt know what was going on or even who the main ANTAGONIST was. By the time I completed it, it hadnt gotten much clearer.

Prior to this game I would always buy a Final Fantasy game just because its Final Fantasy. But this one left such a sour taste that its tainted the whole series to me. I cetainly wont be buying the next one just because its FF. Even more so given the dire FF14 online they released.

The more recent Western RPG's put Final Fantasy to shame, its a quickly sinking ship.

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

i feel the same way, it was an ok game but i was very disapointed on it as an rpg and as a ff game. i'm sure the next instalment will be better, versus looks good.

for the people who liked it:  good for you, but you really dont need to keep defending it, it's hopeless and pointless and we are completely entitled to thinking it was a disapointment.

routsounmanman said:

Linearity didn't bug me that much in FFXIII. It was that stupid, boring and shallow as hell "new battle system" that it implemented. I made myself to get to the ending (couldn't stop playing through any of the previous FFs) and I did so with a button-mashing fest.

Utterly dissapointed; thank God for Atlus and their amazing games (Demon's Souls, Etrian Odyssey, SMT, Persona). They totally replaced Squaresoft for me...

I don't know how seriously to take this post, but button-mashing will not  get you through the battles. Especially on boss fights and late-game battles, you need to know what you are doing and have a clear strategy. WIthout doing this, you have no chance of winning. Going into a battle and mashing button won't get you anywhere in many of the later battles. Now, Final Fantasy XIII is faster paced than many other RPGs, so there will be more button presses, but this does not make it a button masher. As I mentioned in an earlier post too, the higher-ranked battles on Gran Pulse are quite challengong and provide further proof that the game is far from a button-masher. Just as an example, almost all of the higher-ranked battles require you to react to battle animations as you switch from commando/ravager to sentinel, and these switches have very little margin for error and must be performed quickly.

It just seems you are oversimplifying the combat system in order to critique it, or maybe I don't understand what it means to be a button-masher. I generaly take that to mean that someone can power through the game with little regard to learning gameplay mechanics because just hitting the same button, combinations of buttons or using the same strategy is a sufficient means to beat the game. The term button-mashing is generally used for action games though, so the fact that Final Fantasy XIII uses the same buttons is inconsequential. Most RPGs use the same button for command inputs. RPGs are more about strategy than action, and Final Fantasy XIII is no different. The strategic inputs are just more time-sensitive if they are to used correctly.