By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I finally finished Final Fantasy XIII...and I didn't really like it

A203D said:

The OP has been far too kind, this isnt even a game, its 6 hours of f***ing cutscenes, filled with overtheatrical melodrama. Lightning is ridiculuous, shes too hormonal, unrealistic and seems like a 45 year old women going through menopause.

the rest of the cast isnt as bad, but still the dialogue is so camp at times. if you look at FF12 the characters talk to each other realistically, they even have regional accents to signify their class background (which is why Baltheir speaks in well spoken English).

the game is so boring, its like we're led down the narrow corridor so we can watch another cutscene about "its our focus, Serah said so". this is the only plot point in the entire game, nothing happens in the cutscenes, all we see is poor dialogue, poor script and abysmal melodrama, which amounts to......."its our focus Serah said so". Sakaguchi would have never allowed this imo, and i think The Last Story is going to put FF13 to absolute shame!!!

Have you even played the game? Only one character says " Its our focus Serah said so", he gets punched and gets left behind while the rest of the characters disagree with him from the start. That disagreement leads to the whole party splitting up into two groups. Saying every cut scene in the game amounts to "Its our focus Serah Said so" and thats the only plot point is pure hyperbole. Right now you sound more hormonal than Lightning and she was definitely put through more testing times.

Around the Network

It would seem as if lots of people are just not happy with FFXIII because is not the same game they played  the last decade: no towns, no epic one hour and a half boss battle, no tiny mascot, no this, no that.

Wrong game, dudes!

Go back and replay that game you love so much.

Peace.

A203D said:

The OP has been far too kind, this isnt even a game, its 6 hours of f***ing cutscenes, filled with overtheatrical melodrama. Lightning is ridiculuous, shes too hormonal, unrealistic and seems like a 45 year old women going through menopause.

the rest of the cast isnt as bad, but still the dialogue is so camp at times. if you look at FF12 the characters talk to each other realistically, they even have regional accents to signify their class background (which is why Baltheir speaks in well spoken English).

the game is so boring, its like we're led down the narrow corridor so we can watch another cutscene about "its our focus, Serah said so". this is the only plot point in the entire game, nothing happens in the cutscenes, all we see is poor dialogue, poor script and abysmal melodrama, which amounts to......."its our focus Serah said so". Sakaguchi would have never allowed this imo, and i think The Last Story is going to put FF13 to absolute shame!!!

A203D said:

Somebody has not played MGS4!!

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Well the graphics are okay;....That is really all I can say positive about FFXIII...The gameplay needs some tweaks;..Get nobuo back for the music...get a better story writer (maybe the one from Lost Odyssey)..etc..

A203D said:
Ideas said:

I have played all FF games from VII to XIII and enjoyed everyone by applying single rule enjoy the game for what it is not what u want it to be.the most important thing in any game is production values and story.FF has always delivered on production values although u can argue on story side.if someone don't like linear games then its not the games fault.

It is the developers fault they said that FF13 is NOT an RPG, and that FF13 was Inspired by Modern Warfare 2 and Lost. and it is the developers fault they've spent 5 years on a game engine so we could watch 6 hours of cutscenes, very, very boring cutscenes. so its the developers fault they've made something i dont think is a game, but more an 'interactive movie' and not an RPG. and yes its the developers fault because Sakaguchi would never have allowed this, and the Last Story will put this awful game to shame.

m really sorry to say u missed my whole point the game is what it is not what u want it to be.in all threads of FFXIII all i hear is people wanting this people wanting that but they always forget that every FF is different and thats the success of this franchise.

Around the Network

bah it seems i'm being misunderstood (i do word things poorly most of the time so i don't blame you)

i actually don't "Hate" the game. i'm just largely disappointed especially the storyline part , its very very cliche , and having read the "Episode Zero" mini novels released before the game, i've expected something else, like i said, i don't care much about linearity , since i love FFX and that game was very linear, and the battle system in FFXIII is almost perfect , its very well thought of and one of the most enjoyable i've played in the past years, but like i said the storyline is what turned me off to, and like others pointed out and i pointed out myself , I HAVENT FINISHED THE GAME YET , but i did play a huge part of the storyline and i did get past that spoiler (honestly ,wasn't everything very obvious from the start?, i mean the only part that wasn't obvious was that you'd expect a plot twist ) .

so in the end, i don't hate this game nor like it , its just a major disappointment (i've been religously following it ever since it was announced)

Ideas said:
A203D said:
Ideas said:

I have played all FF games from VII to XIII and enjoyed everyone by applying single rule enjoy the game for what it is not what u want it to be.the most important thing in any game is production values and story.FF has always delivered on production values although u can argue on story side.if someone don't like linear games then its not the games fault.

It is the developers fault they said that FF13 is NOT an RPG, and that FF13 was Inspired by Modern Warfare 2 and Lost. and it is the developers fault they've spent 5 years on a game engine so we could watch 6 hours of cutscenes, very, very boring cutscenes. so its the developers fault they've made something i dont think is a game, but more an 'interactive movie' and not an RPG. and yes its the developers fault because Sakaguchi would never have allowed this, and the Last Story will put this awful game to shame.

m really sorry to say u missed my whole point the game is what it is not what u want it to be.in all threads of FFXIII all i hear is people wanting this people wanting that but they always forget that every FF is different and thats the success of this franchise.

Agreed!!!!

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Linearity didn't bug me that much in FFXIII. It was that stupid, boring and shallow as hell "new battle system" that it implemented. I made myself to get to the ending (couldn't stop playing through any of the previous FFs) and I did so with a button-mashing fest.

Utterly dissapointed; thank God for Atlus and their amazing games (Demon's Souls, Etrian Odyssey, SMT, Persona). They totally replaced Squaresoft for me...

The Xbox Man said:

PullusPardus said:

you should play the older games before saying that.

they're very shallow, being stereotypical whiny and "Headstrong woman" like you said is very very shallow, they don't develop at all, hope whines from the start of the game till the moment i left it, and Vanille is just "O HAI!" the whole time , and fang for some reason cares way too much about her (i mean Way way too much, as if she was her daughter or something, but in reality they barely met) , and Lightning is always "i shall finish this..even if costs me my (something) " , and to be honest i don't really know what they actually want from all this "Focus" thing, and how amazingly cliche every villian turn out to be.... well to be honest i can write about this all day, but it still doesn't change the fact that it was messy storyline with uninteresting everything.

also i remember you mentioning this being your first RPG , well damn you picked the worst game to start with this amazing genre.

I have played the older games, just after I played FF13. If the older games are "so much better" it shouldn't matter if I played them before or after FF13, and no FYI I didn't find them so much better and VIII I found terrible. And your post is ridiculous, how far into the game did you get? Vanille is "Oh ha" all the time? Did you even get to chapter 6 in the game when Vanille stops being chirpy after a "truth" is revealed. Lightning and Hope both develop a lot from Chapter 5 to Chapter 9, if Hope is still whiny where you left the game I doubt your that far in. Fang and Vanille haven't known eachother? Lets just ignore their time spent together on Pulse. And "focus" thing, none of them  know their real focus in the first place, how will they know what they want, its obvious you never got the the point where their focus is revealed? Two of them decide to run away (sazh/vanille), 2 of them decide to go to the centre of things and attack (Lightning/Hope). There were differing opinions. And I still say the characters are no less interesting than characters in the older games. This wasn't my first RPG, I am a WRPG veteran, and this "worst game" will always be one of my favourites in the JRPG genre. Whats clear is you simply haven't played much of the game and have no idea about the story, not only me but others pointed this out too.

even after revealing that she is the cause of that little kid Dajh's becoming what he became, she was still very annoying,

Lightning is always "Target's a target" , she never develop besides being a "Badass" and always going headfirst, shes the most uninteresting character out of the bunch a lot like Squall and Cloud in FFVIII and FFVII , but a lot less annoying than Squall..... a lot

even when hope (and after long 15 hours of being annoying) loses his interest of blaming snow he still is on the "FUCK MY LIFE!" motto , only now after he talks to lightning about his motives (in that really boring bridge-like level in chapter 5 i think?) he is actually into a "FUCK MY LIFE BJUT I WANT TO BE MY OWN LEADER!"

Vanille and Fang both lived in the same world, but there is no connection whatsoever and the writters seem to just be "Lulz lets just have these two be like lesbians and have them get seperated!" Fang loves Vanille way too much but she suddenly have the urge to get seperated oh and not to mention this scene , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyDOQgMvYCY  its as if the writers suddenly decided they want those two to be comic relief characters now that they don't know what to do with them.

Also the part where you mentioned Sazh and Vanille "Running away" was very hilariously bad, when she revealed that shes the one who did turn his kid into an LCie , he suddenly decide " well damn gurl! i just go an shoot ma self now to end all diz bullshit!" , i was"WTF ?!" why would he suddenly want to do that instead of saving his son? not to mention that actually happens right after he tells her "You think you die and everything will be back to NORMAL!?!?" when she tells him to "shoot me!"

oh and do i have to mention that vanille sounds like she is having an orgasm everytime she talks?

PullusPardus said:

bah it seems i'm being misunderstood (i do word things poorly most of the time so i don't blame you)

i actually don't "Hate" the game. i'm just largely disappointed especially the storyline part , its very very cliche , and having read the "Episode Zero" mini novels released before the game, i've expected something else, like i said, i don't care much about linearity , since i love FFX and that game was very linear, and the battle system in FFXIII is almost perfect , its very well thought of and one of the most enjoyable i've played in the past years, but like i said the storyline is what turned me off to, and like others pointed out and i pointed out myself , I HAVENT FINISHED THE GAME YET , but i did play a huge part of the storyline and i did get past that spoiler (honestly ,wasn't everything very obvious from the start?, i mean the only part that wasn't obvious was that you'd expect a plot twist ) .

so in the end, i don't hate this game nor like it , its just a major disappointment (i've been religously following it ever since it was announced)

No-one misunderstood you, you just made factually incorrect statements, you shouldn't say there's no character development without finishing a game. I don't see how the story is cliched as the concept is pretty unique compared to other FF games, you probably mean the dialogue is cliched, which it is.

Your posting on peoples walls saying "the focus thing is meh, since they actually know nothing will actually happen either way, and that they're just being tools, i've never got why they want to focus on their "Focus" 

I'm not sure what you mean because they do know what will happen to them if they don't complete their focus, they will turn into cie'th, monsters (told to you 3 hours into the game), no-one wants to end up like that thats why they need to focus on their "focus" and complete it.