By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GTFO GfWL !!!!

I just spent one hour trying to make that ultimate pice of crap of Game for window Live work , since it"s mandatory to play Batman AA, if you want to save.

So, after downloading through steam during the night, I decided to finally play what I payed with my hard earned money. But the road to gaming heaven (according to critics) is barren by the ugly GfWL.

First the interface of this.... white crayish thingy bears all the marks of the awefulness. It comes out of nowhere, out of the design of the game itself, and you know why you hate M$ for its intrusiveness. Then, I am asked to prompt a login and password. In the end of the 1990s, ages ago in this era of information, I had a hotmail account, so I used this old stuff.

Then the problem begins (like batman ^^). GfWL decides , without asking me or whatever, to log to my account, and while I just had used it ages ago for two or three mails, it takes 5 long minutes to download whatever shit it needs to 'work'. As this thing was not as badly programmed as windows itself, it closes the gamedo some background unknown stuff, reloads the game. To my great surprise, 5 mn of my precious time were used for nothing, since the goddamn gfwl reasks me to prompt my account. and can't recognise it itself.

So I decided to check directly over the internet if my account is right, this is checked easily directly on hotmail site. This being done, I decided to remove GfWL from my computer, and reinstall and reupdate it. Then, I prompt my account, and I get his absolutely lovely message :

Error in sign in 8015403A game for windows

After a quick google search, surprise !!! M$ has decided, out of nowhere, that you should have though by yourself that you should have gone on http://www.xbox.com site to check a little box :  

"I accept the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use aggrement' 

I don't care about xbox whatever. I have a far better gaming PC than this. Finally, after doing this, the shitty abysmal uselessness of GfWL finally accepts my login and password. And it works in Batman AA, so I finally can save the game and try this.

GfWL must be removed from the face of our gaming world. It must die and rot in the oblivion of gaming's worst idea. There's nothing more user-unfriendly than GfWL. Go to hell, GTFO GfWL.

Around the Network

Yep, it's straight garbage. I have never gotten a GFW game to work properly.

thats why i dont use Pc for games.

Xbox 360 and Xbox Live FTW

I never understand why people have so many problems with GFW. I've used it on several computers, works great.

I will admit I did have an issue when updating once. A simple solution was going to GFW.com and downloading the GFW software.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

It sucks huge balls. An absolutely abysmal system with barely a redeeming feature to its name. It can't even issue receipts correctly- as I posted in another thread, after buying Viva Pinata during GfWL's current sale, I recieved an email from the XBox Live Team thanking me for my XBox Live Marketplace purchase and informing me I could access the purchase through my Xbox dashboard. Unbelievably naff.

LovePeace said:

thats why i dont use Pc for games.

Xbox 360 and Xbox Live FTW

Congratulations on quite spectacularly missing the point.

Around the Network

<insert id="shio"><arrogance><facts class="anecdotal">PC gaming is better than console gaming</facts></arrogance></insert>

On a more serious note, that does sound horrible... what exactly is GfWL used for? some kind of authentication to make sure you have a bought copy of the game?

Mr Puggsly said:

I never understand why people have so many problems with GFW. I've used it on several computers, works great.

I will admit I did have an issue when updating once. A simple solution was going to GFW.com and downloading the GFW software.

This was my experience on trying to play Batman AA recently, it's far from an uncommon one-

I decided to install Batman: AA this morning, figuring I'd start playing my massive backlog of games before I bought any more. To actually install the game took less than 10 minutes, to get it working took nearly 45 minutes of teeth-clenching annoyance and frustration- all thanks to GfWL. Bare in mind this is all on a fresh install of Win 7 Professional as well, supposedly the best OS for gaming ever.

To start with, it told me to sign in to GfWL otherwise I wouldn't be able to save my games; God knows why, this is a single player game. Anyway, I sign in with my Hotmail address, which I'm assuming is the one I'd previously used for GfWL games- it's been a while since I played one, thank God. It then tells me that it needs to download my profile- I don't care about my profile, my stupid fucking GamerScore or what arbitrary achievements I may or may not have for doing dull things within a game.

Anyway, it presumably finds my profile, then tells me it needs to update itself. Five minutes later, it dumps me back to the desktop where it patches my GfWL executable after I click through a few screens. The game comes back up and I have to sign in again, despite me telling it that I wanted to do so automatically when I originally signed in. This time, I get an error and I realise that, contrary to just about any other program going where you need to click in a textbox, merely moving the mouse over the password box makes it active and I typed my email address into it by mistake.

Anyway, it presumably finds my profile, then tells me it needs to update itself. Five minutes later, it dumps me back to the desktop where it patches my GfWL executable after I click through a few screens. The game comes back up and I have to sign in again, despite me telling it that I wanted to do so automatically when I originally signed in... wait a sec, I've just fucking done this. And yes, the exact same thing happens again.

This time I Alt-Tab out of the Loop of Doom and shut down the game. I go to here, where it tells me that if I have an XBox Live account, I can just download the GfWL software. Err, I don't have an XBox Live account or even an XBox, but I take a punt on it and download and install it.

Restart the game, sign in yet again as it still won't remember my email and password despite asking it to do so four times previously. Please wait while I download your profile... Aha, now the game needs an update, there's progress. Maybe I can just have a quick play without it and apply the update later. Nope, it threatens to sign me out of Live if I don't update. That's friendly. So I sit there for another ten minutes while the update progress bar creeps along the screen; it finally gets to the end and I lean forward ready to play.... no, fuck you, all it's actually done is download a patch not apply it, I need to wait even longer while it pitches me back to the desktop and I click through screens while it patches itself.

Finally, I'm in, aside from having to sign back in to Live of course, it'd be too much for it to remember me as I've only signed in and told it to remember five fucking times so far.

Now, I'm wondering what benefit has having GfWL on Batman: AA has given me? It couldn't update itself properly and I had to break out of a seemingly endless loop and download the update myself. It didn't auto-patch itself, as I had to click through a few screens. It's a single player game so it offers me no online functionality whatsoever. It just pops up within the game without me asking it to and is incredibly unfriendly and non-standard compared to other Windows software. I can't even launch games directly from the client and it has no record of what other games I've played that also use GfWL. The client does offer a marketplace, but there are very few games on there and they're very expensive.

Contrast this with Steam which keeps all my games and itself up to date with no fuss or drama, lets me use its overlay in-game or switch it off as I want and lets me play and, rather importantly save, my games offline, syncing them back to the cloud if necessary when I next go online.

Microsoft are light-years behind and falling further back every month. If they put as much effort into GfWL as they have into the XBox money pit, then they might stand a chance. As it is, I have absolutely no faith in their client or support and will actively avoid buying any further GfWL games, it's just not worth the hassle.

never had a problem with GFWL either. Age of Empires 3, Universe at War, Fallout 3 work great.

Foamer said:
Mr Puggsly said:

This was my experience on trying to play Batman AA recently, it's far from an uncommon one-

Its not important that I hear your exact experience. I haven't had the same experience you have, it works fine for me.

I've used it on several machines with XP, Vista, and 7 as well.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

You said 'I never understand why people have so many problems with GFW'. I gave you the reasons why I have had problems with it. By all means, keep your head stuck in the sand, but my experience is far from uncommon. In fact PCG magazine regularly complains about GfWL.