By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2010 Biggest busts in sales

The year is almost over, and with the biggest day in sales over (well at least in the US) is time to go back and check the games that for some reason or other didn’t meet the expectations from their Publisher or developers. For this list every game should have at least 8 weeks of sales and yes, no super niche titles or games bad games that nobody cares (like Saw II) and remember this doesn't mean that the games are bad, it's just that didn't sell as expected; so let’s see 2010 biggest busts: 

10.- Alan Wake: Few companies would consider 820k units sold a disappointment, but we’re talking about a game that took 5 years in development and a budget of ..... a lot I guess; the game fell short but the developers still have hope to increase the sales.

What happened?: Even with the marketing and the bundles the overall Xbox360 audience wasn’t impressed by this game. 

9.- Modnation Racers: The spiritual successor to Little Big Planet didn’t reach the same level of success, 620k isn’t a bad number but it’s far away from Media Molecule’s title. 

What happened?: The game was released the same month as Blur, Split/Second and Red Dead Redemption, plus a lot of complains about loading screens. 

8.- Split/Second: After the success of Pure Blackstone Studio created this racing game published by Disney Interactive Studio, but after 7 months the sales are at 620k with little hope to recover. 

What happened?: The game was released the same month as Blur, Modnation Racers and Red Dead Redemption. The “over the top” thematic of the game turned down some audience. A PSP version was released later (wich BTW is doing worse than the HD versions) and finally it was released as an iPhone game. 

7.- Metroid Other M: One of the highlights of E3 2009, the collaboration between Nintendo and Team Ninja was one of the biggest surprises of the event, but 3 months after its release the game has sold 590k, far from the goal of of 1.5-2 million copies.. 

What happened: Mixed reviews, some people complained about the gameplay, other about how one of the strongest female characters in videogame history was reduced to ... a femaleMost of the audience that love the first person gameplay in the Prime series didn’t like the 2D gameplay of this game. 

6.- Rock Band Green Day: Yes we saw this one from far away. The idea of mixing the Punk Rock of Green Day with the Rock Band franchise was a perfect recipe for a disaster, or in this case a 590k units sold.

5.- Blur: With a little over 500k in sales Blur was a major disappointment for Activision, Bobby “The Devil” Kottick was expecting a “Call of Duty type of sucess” for this franchise but that simply didn’t happen. 

What happened?: The game was released the same month than Split/Second, Modnation Racers and Red Dead Redemption, a really bad ad campaign (that actually made people play Mario Kart) and a general poor reception of the market, The aftermath? Activision is considering selling or closing Bizarre Creations the developers of this game. 

4.- Dark Void: One of the “big new franchises” that Capcom tried this generation. Bad gameplay and a general bland experience gave this game only 420k in sales, far from the 600k expected by the company. 

3.- Red Steel 2:
A good game with the Red Steel attached to it? Yes, it happened, wit a new style, new story, new character and new system. Red Steel 2 was one of the finest games on the Wii this years, unfortunately it’s at 360k in sales. 

What happened?: Being the sequel of one of  the most disappointing games didn’t help this title, plus a really bad marketing campaign. 

2.- Enslaved: For almost a year this was one of the biggest games for Namco-Bandai. A high profile adventure title with the talent of Andy Serkins, but after a couple of weeks the game was tossed to the bargain bin with a disappointed 320k in sales. 

What happened? Lack of advertising for this game, plus a under whelming demo. 

1.- No More Heroes 2: The sequel of one of the most original and fun games didn’t set any good number. With only 240k in sales it’s one of the most depressing cases of a good game selling really bad. 

What happened: Ubisoft drop all marketing support for this title, that and the fact that this title is quite niche. 

Around the Network

No More Heroes 2: I love the story of No More Heroes, but technically they are not good games. Very clunky and just boring. The sequel bombed because the original wasn't fun either.

Enslaved: Surprisingly awful sales. It seems this is a struggling genre.

Red Steel 2: Eh... I'm not surprised this bombed. The original being mediocre killed sales for the sequel.

Dark Void: Shit games sell shitty on HD consoles. Natural selection!

Blur: This is not the kind of racer core gamers want. They should have just made something to compete with other racing sims. Maybe even a deeper PGR clone.

Rock Band Green Day: Those plastic guitars are becoming a joke. This is proof.

Metroid Other M: I'm more surprised when a Metroid game does good.

Split/Second: Sort of a novelty racer. Core gamers want racing sims.

Modnation Racers: I guess people were expecting great sales because Mario Kart is so huge. But I guess people ignored how poor Sonic Racing did on HD consoles.

Alan Wake: A fantastic game in my opinoin. Survival horror games outside of Resident Evil just don't have a lot of luck.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

alfredofroylan said:

10.- Alan Wake: Few companies would consider 820k units sold a disappointment, but we’re talking about a game that took 5 years in development and a budget of ..... a lot I guess; the game fell short but the developers still have hope to increase the sales.

What happened?: Even with the marketing and the bundles the overall Xbox360 audience wasn’t impressed by this game. 

Not sure about remedy, but MS probably made a decent profit off AW.  Remedy had a pretty small team on it.  800K unit translates to probably $35-40MM for MS.

The Alan Wake bundle just started a couple of weeks ago and isn't even included in those numbers, so it's over a million now. Should hit two eventually.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

I never quite understood why they advertised Blur like they did.  It's quite clearly aimed at people who play Mario Kart, yet wasn't released on any platform with Mario Kart on it.  Strange

Around the Network

Lol even the Blur advert was childish, "I want to race like a big boy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CTm8BgmJ88

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

What about Castlevania?

Edit: And Vanquish?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Flingsmash was pretty abysmal, considering.

Love and tolerate.

Good list, however I think Modnation is doing okay, and will unltimately pass 1 million. No idea how it's doing for discounts and stuff though :/.

Seems to be bigger bombs every year as more people tend towards one big hit every quarter, Red Dead Redemption pretty much **** on everyone through Spring / Summer lol.

A shame for Alan Wake. One of my favorite games this gen. Loved the atmosphere and story.