By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA: Apple can challenge Sony, MS in console war

Killiana1a said:

Interesting theory, which I have an opinion on.

Apple is not a stupid company by any stretch. I believe they are smarter than Microsoft when it comes to computers. Microsoft just has the advantage of colluding with Dell and other computer hardware creators to include Windows and Office in almost every single PC. Apple not having this collusion has profit margins that are higher, puts out the most desired consumer electronics in the US (iPhone, iPad and on), and has basically taken a lot of money from Nintendo DS software sales due to the success of iOS games.

Looking at Apple's culture as a company, the one persistent thing is that they have always come from the "Everyone underestimates us, we are David to Microsoft's Goliath, and I am the little guy with a chip on my shoulder" culture. Many would take this as Apple becoming the modern day Sega. In light of their products, Apple is more in tune with the American family than the counter-culture teenager whom Sega appealed to in the 1990s.

For these reasons, I don't think Apple would ever compete head-to-head with Microsoft and Sony. I think Apple would go for Nintendo's core "family friendly" market in the US. Taking a look at the demand for the iPad, iPhone and their computers amongst dads, moms, kids, and college students, Apple would give Nintendo a major run for it's money in the US market.

If anyone should fear Apple in video games, it is Nintendo. Apple is already mucking up their hand-held monopoly via iOS games. Apple would do the same to any Nintendo console if they jumped into the console market.

The DS is doomed confirmed?

Apple is the David? Maybe 20 years back in time.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

So, Apple can't compete with Nintendo confirmed?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

GT5 Apple leads to Fear, Fear Leads To Anger, Anger Leads To Hate, Hate Leads to Suffering...

*this was an altered sponsored message*

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

DonFerrari said:
Killiana1a said:

Apple is not a stupid company by any stretch. I believe they are smarter than Microsoft when it comes to computers. Microsoft just has the advantage of colluding with Dell and other computer hardware creators to include Windows and Office in almost every single PC. Apple not having this collusion has profit margins that are higher, puts out the most desired consumer electronics in the US (iPhone, iPad and on), and has basically taken a lot of money from Nintendo DS software sales due to the success of iOS games.

Looking at Apple's culture as a company, the one persistent thing is that they have always come from the "Everyone underestimates us, we are David to Microsoft's Goliath, and I am the little guy with a chip on my shoulder" culture. Many would take this as Apple becoming the modern day Sega. In light of their products, Apple is more in tune with the American family than the counter-culture teenager whom Sega appealed to in the 1990s.

For these reasons, I don't think Apple would ever compete head-to-head with Microsoft and Sony. I think Apple would go for Nintendo's core "family friendly" market in the US. Taking a look at the demand for the iPad, iPhone and their computers amongst dads, moms, kids, and college students, Apple would give Nintendo a major run for it's money in the US market.

If anyone should fear Apple in video games, it is Nintendo. Apple is already mucking up their hand-held monopoly via iOS games. Apple would do the same to any Nintendo console if they jumped into the console market.

No system or company is ever doomed unless they pull a Sega.

Apple may not be David, but when compared to Microsoft, Oracle, and IBM they sure as hell are. Apple has always been the middle finger to Microsoft alternative in the PC industry. The trick for them is becoming the angry Grandma's middle finger to Nintendo if they get into the console industry.

I say "Grandma's middle finger" because no one can ever feel anything other than pure laughter at Grandmas raising the middle finger. Thusforth, Apple would be the smiling in your face, killing you behind your back competitor for Nintendo where their system is family friend, but still has that edge Nintendo never had, yet Sony and Microsoft do, thus appealing to both little sisters and big brothers in colleges.

I hate the involvement of non-gaming companies in gaming, but if they did this, at least we'd only have one such company with so much power in the industry.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network

Apple are not in yet, and you can already see the reactions from their fans.

Ignoring the HD-centric tone of the article itself

I'd really like to see this, just to see if Apple would try to leverage some traditional console values (like games sold in stores) or would go more the iStore route. How would it change the game landscape? Would Apple be forced to produce console-esque software, or run away with a niche that the big three were too slow to latch onto (except Sony; they just did a poor job)?

Pippin 2?

Killiana1a said:
DonFerrari said:
Killiana1a said:

No system or company is ever doomed unless they pull a Sega.

Apple may not be David, but when compared to Microsoft, Oracle, and IBM they sure as hell are. Apple has always been the middle finger to Microsoft alternative in the PC industry. The trick for them is becoming the angry Grandma's middle finger to Nintendo if they get into the console industry.

I say "Grandma's middle finger" because no one can ever feel anything other than pure laughter at Grandmas raising the middle finger. Thusforth, Apple would be the smiling in your face, killing you behind your back competitor for Nintendo where their system is family friend, but still has that edge Nintendo never had, yet Sony and Microsoft do, thus appealing to both little sisters and big brothers in colleges.

But in Gaming even if the Biggest companies Nintendo (for this generation and profit and family oriented titles) or Sony (for 2 generations and perhaps considerating other markets it compete) they can't be called Goliath.

Apple is bigger than Nintendo, have better cash reserves than sony and for M$ it never dominated the gaming scene...

And recently Apple passed M$ in fortunes analysis, so i really fail to see them as David... altought i love to see M$ without monopoly, iPhones, Macs and other things don't concern me...

But if Apple entering would be health for all parties i would be glad, who knows, maybe them release some interesting games... I will pray that they don't live in fads and hype...

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Seece said:

Id like to see Sony and MS unite and buy activision, ubisoft, take two and capcom and take them down if this happened.

Yuppers! I have to deal with people who buy iProducts every day, and it is hardly fun.