By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA: Apple can challenge Sony, MS in console war

I think the profit margins would be too low for apple sharholders. MS gets quite a bit of flac for the xbox line from shareholders i believe. And I could be wrong but i thought i read that apple shareholders were unhappy with the profit margin with the ipad. I could be wrong but I think apple shareholders expect high profit margin products like the iphone, ipod, macbook etc

Around the Network

Well, if they price it like they do their computers, then it would have to be about $800-$900 release since they charge about 1.5x sony price even for stuff.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Who is EA?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

I can see it now Apple will come out with a fantastic, sexy, sleek game console all for the low price of $1,199.  And they would succeed cause Apple followers of some of the most devoted people ever.  

Seriously Apple makes excellent products but they are so overpriced.

battousai147 said:

I love my mac, ive used apple computers since they were using the old g4 procecessor made by ibm, they have always been very solid pieces of hardware but more importantly the software has always been top notch, stable, fluid and very user friendly.  Now i know that most of you (from what ive read) hate apple for some reason or other, but for me their products have been second to none, and if they were to enter the gaming market they would bring one of the best engineering teams in the field of electonics, and im not just talking about product design but technology first and foremost. 

You know those wonderful touch screen phones that most of us use(whether its an iphone or not)  apple is the company responsible for mainstreaming that technology.  Their products are inovative, sleek, easy to use and have excellent build quality, and for the very few times i have had to use it the customer service has always been top notch, i don't see how apple entering the console market good be anything but good, through their inovation, design and resources they could push console gaming to a new level and push sony and ms to new hights as well good competion almost always breeds excellent products for the consumer, but for now, Im PS3 all the way.

No offence but you have 2-posts on VGChartz, so I take everything you say with alot of salt. Also you are like the only person here who thinks Apple entering is a good thing.

At the OT, I gotta say man EA neglecting Nintendo and only talking about competing with Sony and Microsoft really shows EA still doesn't take Nintendo seriously. I mean you'd think he would at least mention the biggest player in the console industry.

As for Apple being the only company that could enter the console industry and have a chance. I think Activision , EA and maybe even UbiSoft and Sega could if they put all their money and IP's behind it, launch a successful platform. Also other companies like Disney for example if they put their money where their mouth is could enter the industry.

Basically any entertainment company with a few billion to through around and has connections to the games industry could jump in. Sure they'd fight a hell of a fight to get anywhere and not fail but I think Apple isn't the only one who could.

Example Panasonic Jungle, if Panasonic aquired some studios or invested money in bringing exclusive games to a handheld. Even Panasonic could enter the industry. I think OnLive is going to be mildly successful with their platform too. How about a Steam Platform.

Now I think Apple is ill equiped to enter the industry and it would take a take over of a publisher perhaps EA and judging from the statements it is probubly on the table. But I think Activision could do a better job at launching a platform.

So no Apple is not the only company that could enter. Also back to earlier I think Nintendo would be their biggest threat not Microsoft or  Sony.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Most hipster douches I know dont really like videogames. An apple system would fail.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

The only thing Apple could challenge Sony on is the PS3's initial price tag.

Why would people buy a product that's twice as expensive than PS4 or Nex Gen Xbox that does the same thing? These are machines that are gaming specific and I don't see Apple doing to great against behemoths like MS and Sony, no matter how big Apple is. Apple so far has only proven itself on the portable side and if Apple introduced a new machine in time for nex gen then they would surely bomb or get less than respectable sales in comparison to the competition.

And never mind Nintendo because we all know that Nintendo would just wipe the floor with Apple.

not likely.  apple likes charging huge mark ups on their products.  if people thought the price of the ps3 was high then they would have a heart attacking seeing apples console.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Interesting theory, which I have an opinion on.

Apple is not a stupid company by any stretch. I believe they are smarter than Microsoft when it comes to computers. Microsoft just has the advantage of colluding with Dell and other computer hardware creators to include Windows and Office in almost every single PC. Apple not having this collusion has profit margins that are higher, puts out the most desired consumer electronics in the US (iPhone, iPad and on), and has basically taken a lot of money from Nintendo DS software sales due to the success of iOS games.

Looking at Apple's culture as a company, the one persistent thing is that they have always come from the "Everyone underestimates us, we are David to Microsoft's Goliath, and I am the little guy with a chip on my shoulder" culture. Many would take this as Apple becoming the modern day Sega. In light of their products, Apple is more in tune with the American family than the counter-culture teenager whom Sega appealed to in the 1990s.

For these reasons, I don't think Apple would ever compete head-to-head with Microsoft and Sony. I think Apple would go for Nintendo's core "family friendly" market in the US. Taking a look at the demand for the iPad, iPhone and their computers amongst dads, moms, kids, and college students, Apple would give Nintendo a major run for it's money in the US market.

If anyone should fear Apple in video games, it is Nintendo. Apple is already mucking up their hand-held monopoly via iOS games. Apple would do the same to any Nintendo console if they jumped into the console market.

Pippin 2?