By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MOVE and KINECT Sell-Through update!

kowenicki said:
thx1139 said:
D-Joe said:
thx1139 said:

I assume that the 875,000 figure was through 11/27 (Saturday).

Add the 1.5M that VGC already had through 11/20.  That is 2.375M.

MS said over 2.5M so that would mean about 125K additional sold last Sunday (11/28).

VGC adjusted Kinect Adventures to 1.6m now

So over the past couple of weeks they have adjusted Kinect Adventures by almost 200K, yet they havent changed the 360 HW numbers.  Doesnt seem likely that all of those additional 200K units are just Kinect Sensors, certainly some of them were 360 bundles.

agreed...

yes! s

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

How much revenue that is for Kinect last week alone??

875,000 at 149.99 = $131,241,250 in one week...

Thats if they are stand alone only... which they wont be. So probably much more.

Its probably better to unify it and use around $100 as the revenue per kinect given retail margins on standalones and <$100 revenue from bundles.

So ~$90M is the revenue for the week.

Tease.

prodigy... the statments by both companies were easy to understand and Vgchartz has done an excellent job of calculating the numbers for both Move and Kinect.  Move is obviously more difficult to calculate since there is a ratio of controllers to user that needs to be factored in. 

What exactly is your problem with the numbers put out by vgchartz, can you be more specific other than stating they are a joke?

rocketpig said:

I honestly expected the two to be pretty close. To see Kinect doing so much better than Move is surprising. Then again, some of Move's design, marketing, and launch strategy seems a little half-baked. Not a surprise given Sony's inability to get much of anything right in hardware over the past 5 years.

Two things Kinect has going for it

1. Oprah

2. $500 million Advertising

Tigerlure said:
rocketpig said:

I honestly expected the two to be pretty close. To see Kinect doing so much better than Move is surprising. Then again, some of Move's design, marketing, and launch strategy seems a little half-baked. Not a surprise given Sony's inability to get much of anything right in hardware over the past 5 years.

1. Oprah

This is a little off-topic, but what exactly was the advertising budget for Move?

On topic, isn't it a little naive to suggest that Oprah and Advertising is all it takes?  I mean honestly, wouldn't many more companies do this then?

Around the Network

"Consumer polling carried out over a sample of 100 PlayStation Move owners shows that the average number of controllers per Move setup is 1.55."

ROFL x) 100, not 1,000 or 5,000 no, only 100. Seems right to guess total userbase... right.

TRios_Zen said:
Tigerlure said:
rocketpig said:

1. Oprah

This is a little off-topic, but what exactly was the advertising budget for Move?

On topic, isn't it a little naive to suggest that Oprah and Advertising is all it takes?  I mean honestly, wouldn't many more companies do this then?

Well I wasn't suggesting that's all it has going for it. Kinect obviously has that new "smell" to it, and it appeals almost directly to casuals. They are eating it up right now. I don't know the budget, but I do know that Move has very little advertising prior to release.

My God, there could be 7 million Move out there by Jan, damn good job Sony. Keep shipping them babies!

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Tigerlure said:
TRios_Zen said:
Tigerlure said:
rocketpig said:

1. Oprah

Well I wasn't suggesting that's all it has going for it. Kinect obviously has that new "smell" to it, and it appeals almost directly to casuals. They are eating it up right now. I don't know the budget, but I do know that Move has very little advertising prior to release.

I'm just busting your chops a little, please don't take offense.

I think that people often use the argument that $500 million is magnitudes more than Sony spent and yet Sony has never said how much they have/will spend.  All they have said (to my knowledge) is that they wouldn't outspend Microsoft.  Well, that could be $475 million...

For anecdotal evidence, I'll be perfectly honest, all I reallly watch on TV is sports (football and basketball right now) and I've maybe seen 1.5 kinect commercials to move commercials.  More than Move?  Sure.  SIGNIFICANTLY more?  No.

But I don't want to de-rail the thread anymore, and I'm really not trying to insult you, just giving a little food for thought.

TRios_Zen said:
Tigerlure said:
TRios_Zen said:
Tigerlure said:
rocketpig said:

1. Oprah

I'm just busting your chops a little, please don't take offense.

I think that people often use the argument that $500 million is magnitudes more than Sony spent and yet Sony has never said how much they have/will spend.  All they have said (to my knowledge) is that they wouldn't outspend Microsoft.  Well, that could be $475 million...

For anecdotal evidence, I'll be perfectly honest, all I reallly watch on TV is sports (football and basketball right now) and I've maybe seen 1.5 kinect commercials to move commercials.  More than Move?  Sure.  SIGNIFICANTLY more?  No.

But I don't want to de-rail the thread anymore, and I'm really not trying to insult you, just giving a little food for thought.

As always that's an example that means nothing. That may sound stupid but you may have missed alot of Kinect's ad. (no way Move have more ads than Kinect). And you're forgetting others way of promoting a product, where Kinect >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Move. Be reasonable please, 500M $ compared to few M are not comparable. And no, the budget likely didn't exceed 100M (even 80M), that's not how Sony do things.