Forums - Sales Discussion - MOVE and KINECT Sell-Through update!

Metallicube said:

Hmm, motion control wars amongst hardcore gamers. Never thought I'd see the day :P

It would be exactly the same if the products released were swapped by each company... if you know what im gettin at.

Around the Network
4k1x3r said:

"Consumer polling carried out over a sample of 100 PlayStation Move owners shows that the average number of controllers per Move setup is 1.55."

ROFL x) 100, not 1,000 or 5,000 no, only 100. Seems right to guess total userbase... right.

Actually believe it or not 100 for a polling sample is perfectly acceptable.

ProdigyBam said:

So, Sony says they SOLD 4,1 Move controllers and its suddendly SHIPPED for vgchartz

but microsoft says they SOLD 2,5 kinects and to vgcjhartz its SOLD too

funny stuff

vgchartz is becoming such a big joke more and more

Its not that big of a joke seeing as Sony said their numbers were shipped to retailers and Microsoft said their numbers were sold through to customers.

Sony won't be around for the PS5, MS will have them backrupt by then. Then SEGA will have it's chance to reclaim it's rightful place in the industry, yay

Above: Best Wii game since Brawl.

To be honest without knowing the rate at which that $500M is being spent you cannot easily say how prolific the advertising spend is. For all we know it could be 12 months as easily as it could be 3 months. Anyway even if it is the 2 months to Christmas it is still around what Nintendo spends. Since Microsoft is significantly more profitable they can advertise more, on the other hand they could have simply cut the price of the console and Kinect instead. It is a tradeoff, and all is fair in business so long as it is ethical.

Tease.

Around the Network
ProdigyBam said:

So, Sony says they SOLD 4,1 Move controllers and its suddendly SHIPPED for vgchartz

but microsoft says they SOLD 2,5 kinects and to vgcjhartz its SOLD too

funny stuff

vgchartz is becoming such a big joke more and more

Congratulations - that was the biggest selfown of the week.

I am soooo sick of this 500m marketing budget excuse. People are using it, like it would be unfair or something. This is a business and don't hate on MS for doing something you wished Sony could and would do.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I honestly think that this was definitely expected, with Kinect being more innovative than Move. The buzz before release was also heavily weighted towards Kinect and a huge marketing budget would help too.

I'm really interested to see how both sell are in 2011...

But what I fear is that motion controls becoming the standard for gaming... I still want my traditional controller !!!

LovePeace said:

Kinect must have sold >600K on Black Friday Week. That means that 360 probably sold around 600K aswell since probably 75% of Kinect buyers are Consoles with Bundles.

Where are you getting these percentages from ? o_O

scapegoatsqueal said:

Sony won't be around for the PS5, MS will have them backrupt by then. Then SEGA will have it's chance to reclaim it's rightful place in the industry, yay

Wishful thinking...the PS brand is still very strong in Europe and is expanding to countries that MS or Nintendo haven't....

As big and diversified as Sony is, I am surprised they only announce shipped numbers, while their smaller competitors somehow find the staff to report on sell through data. Is this a deliberate move on Sony's part in order to hide the real data? Do they prefer to only release shipped leaving the sell through for their financial statements? Or are they just so big and bureaucratic that the sell through data takes longer to filter through the appropriate channels before being publicly announced?

I agree, Move is harder to estimate and get the numbers on. The PSeye has been around since 2007 and sales of just the PSeye alone cannot be calculated as a Move sell.

I think VGChartz is getting it right by corroborating with others on the average number of Move controllers and using the average in the calculation for total Move units sold.

To please Sony users, VGChartz could have done 4 separate estimates: 1. Estimate for 1 Move controller. 2. Estimate for 2 Move controllers, 3. Estimate for 3 Move controllers, and 4. Estimate for 4 Move controllers.

Then again, when you have the average corroborated by other independent sources, then the aforementioned is kinda pointless.

Can this console war get any more competitive?

scapegoatsqueal said:

LOL! sega is dead son SONY killed em let it go can't bring back the dead.

as for sony "DYING" HAHA good luck with that specially EMEAA and Japan ps3>>>>>>360 and 8m gap is now down to 4.