By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Move Sells Over 4.1 Million Units

Metallicube said:

Hmm, if Move REALLY sold that many units in so short a time, that that clearly means that the device is selling primarilly to current PS3 owners (since PS3 sales have not significantly risen), which is exactly what I expected, but probably not what Sony wanted. Sony wants new gamers that would have otherwise bought a Wii, which I don't see happening. The best that will likely happen for Sony is, as Malstrom said, keeping the CURRENT PS3 owners on that console and dissuading them from going out and buying a Wii.

If Sony really wants NEW consumers on their consoles, they need the device AND the console much cheaper, not to mention far more games that these new consumers would like. Right now the price is far too high to jump on board, and there are far too few games in general on the device, let alone games that the expanded audience would want.

Wait but didn't the article say 3/4 of the things sold were bundles?

EDIT: I thought that meant console bundles only, my bad.

Around the Network

this is unexpected..but fantastic news

This means that there is at least 1 million Move Units

Just like I said on the other thread. Shipped or not the Move is selling great right now.  It's also sold out in some areas. It would be better if you guys just accept it and and move on.

NoCtiS_NoX said:

Just like I said on the other thread. Shipped or not the Move is selling great right now.  It's also sold out in some areas. It would be better if you guys just accept it and and move on.

You tryin' to be funny?  Icwutudidthar....

jk lol

Around the Network

A lot of guesswork here, but I'm thinking an average of 2.5 Move wands per household. I also reckon no more than 3 million sell-through. So I'm thinking there are about 1-1.2 million Move enabled households. That gels pretty well with VGC's current sports champs sales of ~875K with an attach rate of 73%. Although that's without BF sales.

I'd say Move sell though by new year will be close to 5 million making an install base of about 2 million. Waaaaay behind Kinect, but in and of itself it's a pretty reasonable start. INstall base needs to be at least 5 million and preferrably 7-10 million by end of next year. 10 million install base for Move by the beginning of 2012 would be an outright success IMO.

Anyway 4.1 million shipped is good for now.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

NYANKS said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

You tryin' to be funny?  Icwutudidthar....

jk lol

I was actually being serious.

Look guys i am not trying to cuz flaming but just hear me out

Its quite wierd that they don't mention any software sales cuz people are buying the move but aren't buying the games. This should raise concern if people are buying move because of the softwares or buying the move expecting better games in the future cuz according to vgchartz, only 1 game(sports champion) is in top 200 and I don't see any more move titles in the chart. I believe softwares should sell devices and give people more reason to buy those devices, not the other way round. At least for kinect, it is evident that people are buying the software for the device which shows about up to 7 games in top 50 which also shows health hardware to software ratio. I don't actually know if software sales will improve in future but I will sit down, wait and see.

hmmm....I wonder if this thread can reach the level of the "worldwide up/PS3 adjustment" thread

*will sit and watch*

M.U.G.E.N said:
CGI-Quality said:
Notorius.A.i.G said:

Great numbers ! Didn't expect Move to do this good.

Indeed. This thread also has a mixture people who didn't think it would, and won't believe it did!

They never B_E_L_I_E_V_E!

I mean seriously my post was ignored also :( am I wrong to assume these numbers could mean there are at least around 2mil Move users WW? Isn't that amazing? SOny must be getting a lot of money with this, which is good, more games for it (the core line up is already solid so I don't mind them spending a bit more on Move games for core or even casual)

It's also funny is the same thing happening on this thread, is the same that happened when Sony announced the 2.5 million shipped.  People screaming SHIPPED!, even though you can tell that by the article and Sony's reporting habits.  As well as people claiming they only shipped this much because they are shipping their holiday shipment.  So how can the 2.5 million be for the holiday shipment, when just a month later they shipped another 1.6 million?  Of course it's no surprise, as they do the same thing Sony ever releases any positive numbers, but then scream the same excuses next time numbers are announced to be even higher.  So, I guess this means Sony overships EVERYTHING EVERY quarter confirmed.    And good grief at the bannings.  Did we have this many when MS announced 2.5 million sold?

@ OP

Great numbers, Sony.  Of course, some people won't believe them, even if you announce another 1-1.6 million shipped after the holidays.  Oh well.