By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Move Sells Over 4.1 Million Units

nightsurge said:

I said official reports giving official results about the exact failure rates.  That is one article based on interviews with people about what CAUSED the RROD, and nothing about exact failure rates.  Try again.

I know this is completely off topic.  But I figured you asked, so you shall recieve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

You should find all the info you need in there, with many sources given.  Though, really it seems they have corrected the HW faults, so its really not that important, anymore.

Around the Network

Good sales

NYANKS said:
Metallicube said:

Hmm, if Move REALLY sold that many units in so short a time, that that clearly means that the device is selling primarilly to current PS3 owners (since PS3 sales have not significantly risen), which is exactly what I expected, but probably not what Sony wanted. Sony wants new gamers that would have otherwise bought a Wii, which I don't see happening. The best that will likely happen for Sony is, as Malstrom said, keeping the CURRENT PS3 owners on that console and dissuading them from going out and buying a Wii.

If Sony really wants NEW consumers on their consoles, they need the device AND the console much cheaper, not to mention far more games that these new consumers would like. Right now the price is far too high to jump on board, and there are far too few games in general on the device, let alone games that the expanded audience would want.

Wait but didn't the article say 3/4 of the things sold were bundles?

EDIT: I thought that meant console bundles only, my bad.

Well, PS3 HW sales hav either been about par or slightly above last years.  And last year is when PS3 got a MASSIVE bump from a new HW design and a $100 pricecut.  So obviously the Move is bringing in some new customers.

I remember vgchartz estimated move controller to move enabled PS3 ratio is 1.7. So 4.1 million move controller sales means 2.4 millon move enabled PS3, which is already lower than Kinect sales of 2.5 millon.

No to mention sony's sell in number vs MS's sell through number

4.1m shipped, so ~3.5m sold. Good numbers.

Around the Network
gameheart said:

Look guys i am not trying to cuz flaming but just hear me out

Its quite wierd that they don't mention any software sales cuz people are buying the move but aren't buying the games. This should raise concern if people are buying move because of the softwares or buying the move expecting better games in the future cuz according to vgchartz, only 1 game(sports champion) is in top 200 and I don't see any more move titles in the chart. I believe softwares should sell devices and give people more reason to buy those devices, not the other way round. At least for kinect, it is evident that people are buying the software for the device which shows about up to 7 games in top 50 which also shows health hardware to software ratio. I don't actually know if software sales will improve in future but I will sit down, wait and see.

the software sales can't be directly compared in the case of Move and Kinect, because when i bought my Move, i already had several compatible patched games without even buying them especially. Then there are Downloadable games that don't chart, whereas, Kinect customers have no choice but to buy the games if tey want to play something

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

darthdevidem01 said:
Reasonable said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Cheebee said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Cheebee said:

Does anyone know how many Wiimotes have been shipped WW so far? I'd like to know.

Does anyone know why we are talking about how many Wiimotes being shipped in a PS Move shipment sales thread? I'd like to know.

'Cos everyone and their dog is comparing Move to Kinect in this thread, I'd like to know how they stack up against Wiimotes sold.

MOVE and Kinect can be compared on some level...both are new peripherales launched recently.

Why on earth anyone would wanna compare them to Wiimote sales is beyond me

[start sarcasm] Hey hey lets compare MOVE/KINECT sales to Dualshock 3's and Xbox 360 Controllers while we're at it  [/end sarcasm]

Actually Darth, I don't think Kinect and Move can be that readily compared, despite the apparent similarities.  Clearly everyone does want to compare them - including ioi in his comparison article that fell apart in the comments section to the degree he had to re-write aspects of it.

Move is a multi-configuration device that actually can be most easily compared, from a sales perspective, to the Wii seperate controller sales due to the almost exact matching of configuration.

Kinect however is a single configuration device.

What a lot of people really need to realise is that it is both hard - without clear ratio data which in this case is not available - and in some ways futile to compare a multi-configuration device to a single configuration device.

ioi, for example, wanted to use the standard 1.7 controllers per individual owner for Move, but as I noted in his article there is plenty of reason to believe this may not hold true for Move, particularly at this early point.

At this point it is likely that almost every Kinect sold represents a single user - it won't be absolutely true but very close.  At this point Move could be anything from 1.5 units per user to 6 units per user, a huge spread of possibilites (although of course they are not all equally probably, I do doubt every Move owner has bought 6 units of controllers).

That's really not that easy to compare from a sales perspective.

I agree with what your saying..mostly.

What I was trying to get accross to Chebee was that on some levels we can still compare MOVE/Kinect as they are new peripherals launched recently. They are destined to be compared.......his justification of them being compared meaning that we must also compare Wiimote sales to them is weak and borderline flamebait.

Oh they're destined to be compared all right!  And that comparison should keep those of us - like me - who can't help but smile as we read through meltdown threads well occupied for ages.

Obviously I'm only really referrring to sales - in terms of how they affect demand for the consoles and how the affect market perception of the consoles they are very much up for direct comparison.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Porcupine_I said:
gameheart said:

Look guys i am not trying to cuz flaming but just hear me out

Its quite wierd that they don't mention any software sales cuz people are buying the move but aren't buying the games. This should raise concern if people are buying move because of the softwares or buying the move expecting better games in the future cuz according to vgchartz, only 1 game(sports champion) is in top 200 and I don't see any more move titles in the chart. I believe softwares should sell devices and give people more reason to buy those devices, not the other way round. At least for kinect, it is evident that people are buying the software for the device which shows about up to 7 games in top 50 which also shows health hardware to software ratio. I don't actually know if software sales will improve in future but I will sit down, wait and see.

the software sales can't be directly compared in the case of Move and Kinect, because when i bought my Move, i already had several compatible patched games without even buying them especially. Then there are Downloadable games that don't chart, whereas, Kinect customers have no choice but to buy the games if tey want to play something

In the US move starter kit comes with sports champions. You can make the reasonable assumption that every move new user bought at least a starter kit, it's just much more convenient both in price and availability. So the number of new users of move is lower than the sales of sports champions in the US. This compare directly to the sales of Kinect Adventure. I think that per vgchartz the ratio is 2:1 in favour of kinect and I suspect NPD data are not too good for sony, that's because of what pachter keeps saying. Anyway in the us sports champions and kinect adventures numbers can be directly compared.

Reasonable said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Reasonable said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Cheebee said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Cheebee said:

Does anyone know how many Wiimotes have been shipped WW so far? I'd like to know.

Does anyone know why we are talking about how many Wiimotes being shipped in a PS Move shipment sales thread? I'd like to know.

'Cos everyone and their dog is comparing Move to Kinect in this thread, I'd like to know how they stack up against Wiimotes sold.

MOVE and Kinect can be compared on some level...both are new peripherales launched recently.

Why on earth anyone would wanna compare them to Wiimote sales is beyond me

[start sarcasm] Hey hey lets compare MOVE/KINECT sales to Dualshock 3's and Xbox 360 Controllers while we're at it  [/end sarcasm]

Actually Darth, I don't think Kinect and Move can be that readily compared, despite the apparent similarities.  Clearly everyone does want to compare them - including ioi in his comparison article that fell apart in the comments section to the degree he had to re-write aspects of it.

Move is a multi-configuration device that actually can be most easily compared, from a sales perspective, to the Wii seperate controller sales due to the almost exact matching of configuration.

Kinect however is a single configuration device.

What a lot of people really need to realise is that it is both hard - without clear ratio data which in this case is not available - and in some ways futile to compare a multi-configuration device to a single configuration device.

ioi, for example, wanted to use the standard 1.7 controllers per individual owner for Move, but as I noted in his article there is plenty of reason to believe this may not hold true for Move, particularly at this early point.

At this point it is likely that almost every Kinect sold represents a single user - it won't be absolutely true but very close.  At this point Move could be anything from 1.5 units per user to 6 units per user, a huge spread of possibilites (although of course they are not all equally probably, I do doubt every Move owner has bought 6 units of controllers).

That's really not that easy to compare from a sales perspective.

I agree with what your saying..mostly.

What I was trying to get accross to Chebee was that on some levels we can still compare MOVE/Kinect as they are new peripherals launched recently. They are destined to be compared.......his justification of them being compared meaning that we must also compare Wiimote sales to them is weak and borderline flamebait.

Oh they're destined to be compared all right!  And that comparison should keep those of us - like me - who can't help but smile as we read through meltdown threads well occupied for ages.

Obviously I'm only really referrring to sales - in terms of how they affect demand for the consoles and how the affect market perception of the consoles they are very much up for direct comparison.

Yep.  At the end of the day, you just have to laugh at all the people who flip out over electronic devices that display interactive pictures on TV screens.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Lol and this thread contines to move xd epic meltdowns get even better than last time

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1