By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GT5 sells 1.8m in two days WW

Fufinu said:
Hyruken said:

Good sales for a good game. Will be interesting to see the Track article on monday. I think that will give us an indication of how acurate these numbers are as i think UK is  the biggest racing game market in Europe right?

Solid opening for GT5 then. But it will be interesting in the coming weeks to see how it drops off. That will give us a better idea of the type of legs we can see from it. GT4 sold almost 50% of it's entire sales in the first month (4.4m). And that was not even in a holiday period. This time round GT5 has the holiday period to sell to. If it hasen't reached at least 4.4m by jan 1st then i think it will struggle to get to the 10m mark. I think most peoples view of around 8m lifetime could be quite likely.

GT4 sold 10 million after 4 years. Just saying that it's the legs that will determine LTD sales.

Indeed, but it sold 4.4m in its first month, almost half of its lifetime sales. And GT4 was released on dec 28th 2004 so was 6 years ago, not 4.

Around the Network
4k1x3r said:
zgamer5 said:

now if only, if only i could find le mans track and race on it for 24 hours to celebrate this.

Circuit de la Sarthe ....

i never knew that!!! do you also know from where i can buy the x1 protoype?

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

johnglen said:
ProdigyBam said:

Vgchartz numbers dont matter to me, ill wait for PD shipment updated, they will ship 7-8 million copies as of 31st decembre

I'll wait for NPD, media create, charttrack e.t.c and not the BS PR numbers from PD or sony in general. But of course sony's numbers have become some people's religion since they are the only numbers they find comfort with.

and you only seem comfort with the numbers of npd media create.....

see what i did their?

Hyruken said:
Fufinu said:
Hyruken said:

Good sales for a good game. Will be interesting to see the Track article on monday. I think that will give us an indication of how acurate these numbers are as i think UK is  the biggest racing game market in Europe right?

Solid opening for GT5 then. But it will be interesting in the coming weeks to see how it drops off. That will give us a better idea of the type of legs we can see from it. GT4 sold almost 50% of it's entire sales in the first month (4.4m). And that was not even in a holiday period. This time round GT5 has the holiday period to sell to. If it hasen't reached at least 4.4m by jan 1st then i think it will struggle to get to the 10m mark. I think most peoples view of around 8m lifetime could be quite likely.

GT4 sold 10 million after 4 years. Just saying that it's the legs that will determine LTD sales.

Indeed, but it sold 4.4m in its first month, almost half of its lifetime sales. And GT4 was released on dec 28th 2004 so was 6 years ago, not 4.

gt5 could do 4.4 million the first month, with black friday and the holidays coming, if not more. but it wont be half its sales, probably 60%

johnglen said:
ProdigyBam said:

Vgchartz numbers dont matter to me, ill wait for PD shipment updated, they will ship 7-8 million copies as of 31st decembre

I'll wait for NPD, media create, charttrack e.t.c and not the BS PR numbers from PD or sony in general. But of course sony's numbers have become some people's religion since they are the only numbers they find comfort with.

Bullshit PR numbers? What?

Polyphony ALWAYS release shipment data for there games. They've done it for every GT game. How is it PR and spin? It's business.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Around the Network

Another PS3 game that smashed people'e expectations.

and this is without Black Friday sales. Am I Right? Wednesday and Thursday?

So 1.8m bought the game before Black Friday. I wonder how many people bought it on Black Friday?

Hyruken said:
Fufinu said:
Hyruken said:

I meant 4 years to get to 10 million.

snfr said:

Thanks for ruining this thread. Yep, Forza 3 is a better game because reviewers said so, just like Modern Wafare 2 is a better game than Halo:Reach

Seriously, reviews mean nothing because they are all subjective. Everyone should have his own opinion after playing both GT5 and Forza 3. And I doubt you have played GT5. Some may like Forza more, some GT5, none of these games is objectively better than the other one.

My point was that Forza could be better in some areas, but when ign and a lot of other pubs reviewed it they didnt review the 3D component, which GT5 sets the gold standard for. its compared to the likes of Forza and Need for Speed, despite that the full components of the game havent been reviewed.

lets say Halo Reach was reviewed without the online multiplayer mode. its hardly fair. Forza might be better in some areas, but when it comes to the full package of GT5, of 3D and headtracking for the cockpit, then i doubt Forza can hold a candle to it.

Jay520 said:

So 1.8m bought the game before Black Friday. I wonder how many people bought it on Black Friday?

Its not smashed expectations

Its on track to match the expectations people had.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Jay520 said:

just normal because i dont think GT5 had any price cut on Black Friday

don't expect it's gonna explode on black friday guys,just wait for the great legs