By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Nintendo policy for retailers

I really don't care about it since I have my DS and I have a Wii, but my issue is the DS has been out longer, how can you expect to keep selling DS when it'll peak eventually and then you don't sell any? Unless they're doing something like sell 15 DS and get 30 Wiis, I don't see how this will help smaller communities like my own where the market has peaked.

Around the Network

Obviously the policy will change at that time rendo.

nazn: I call it pressure due to the statement "Sell fewer ds'es, get less than your normal stock of wii's". I really fail to see how that is a bribe.

Ultimately, Bods may be slightly incorrect, because god knows retail chains receive 100% correct information and perfect communication, but this still is moderately discomforting.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

It may be smart, but not as smart as producing more Wii's.

I wonder how well the DS would be doing, if it had intense competition from Microsoft, and if Nintendo decided to only make about half as many DS's as the market was willing to buy.

i don't like this either... unless nintendo has a truly huge stockpile of Wii's ready for x'mas, in which case it makes more sense.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network
Fuzzmosis said:
I don't quite agree with pressuring retailers. Seems a bit too like Nintendo of old.

Go too far, and it doesn't take long for a single slip and the fall isn't cushioned by happy retail support who were well rewarded with stocking your product.

It is a good marketing ploy in my opinion get the consumer used to your product and then they come back for games and they notice that store has the thing called the Wii and they pick it up. Also it isn't really forcing retailers its just encuraging them.

"Like you know"

It might be a good policy but I don't think I would do it.

I mean why not give everyone the same amount of Wiis so that they can sell the most possible?

The wording sounds like a threat, but it makes sense because they have a shortage of wii's. I mean what else are they supposed to do, distribute them evenly? Last time I checked they are trying to turn a profit (if you own NTDOY, you should be happy) and the retailers are scrambling to sell dses because they know if they get wii's they will sell them and make a larger profit. It's only a christmas strategy. When I worked at KB Toys when the SP came out, we got t-shirts and we were offered prizes to sell more.

Oh and is this an ACTUAL nintendo policy. OR a Toys R Us policy? Cause this type of stuff usually happens between stores in the same district. I mean I can see your district manager saying, "hey whoever sells the most gets the most....and a pizza party YAY!!!" 

Maybe they just try to prevent the retailers from bundling the Wii with PSP again?
Anyone get the link to that thread? I am kinda busy right now.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

I think there is a lot you guys are missing. First of all, it takes months (like at least 6 months) to start producing more Wii's. This is because it takes time to get a whole new factory up and running. So Nintendo has to ask themselves "Will we need more than 1.8 million Wii's a month in 6-8 months or is this temporary holiday buzz that will die down?" Keep in mind, this is a rare situation. It isnt like Nintendo KNOWS the right answer. The Wii being sold out a year after release is crazy. They need to guess whether there will be enough demand for another year, essentially. So how does this all tie in to the news? Well, Nintendo wants to make sure they are putting the Wii's where they need to go (Where there is demand). Right now, it is everywhere. Bod made it clear that this new policy will effect us past the holiday as well though. It is a GOOD business strategy. The DS is selling well, but they are not sold out. So Nintendo says "Hey. If you can sell more, we'll send you more Wii's" It creates competition and it gets more DS's out of the stores and into hands of customers. It also allows Wii's to be shipped to places where Nintendo products are most popular. I dont see how this new policy is bad in any way.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!