By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GT5 graphics aren't that impressive

Smidlee said:

Rfactor physics is only as good as the mods. some mods are better than other. Rfactor is really not much of a game but a engine to allow others to build mods. So it silly comparing Rfactor physics, which it all over the place, with GT5. Also even ISR noted that Iracing physics is off especially off the track. Iracing is getting "tire model" update soon. Still Iracing is nothing but multiplayer (IMO there is no better multiplayer sim than Iracing).

Also isn't it true one of the developer of NK Pro made the comment Gt5 physics is getting closer to NK Pro and Iracing physics?

yeah I think the next iteration of GT might catch up, but unless they have some hardcore mode that lets you destroy the cars with the wheel flying off and true dynamic damage then meh. 60hz doesn't mean it's really worse than 300 hz in a lot of the cases when you are talking about physics anyways, it's how accurate it is a lot of times. there is more room for error at 300 though..

Around the Network
HexenLord said:
fighter said:
sieanr said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I have no idea what is wrong with some of you. You either need a better TV or actually play the game or something.. Its ridiculous reading some comments posted in here. when facts hits you in the face you still deny it.

Facts? Like direct captures from the game itself.

I think it was someone here who said that the levels look like they were worked on by different teams. I think thats true, or some of the older courses were just straight ports from the PS2 GTs.

That would indded explain the game's uneven graphics. Does any one have a link about this ?

Like I said before, thats not an HD screen capture. Thats an SD screen capture thats been upscaled with quality degraded. You can obviously see it in the UI on the bottom left of the screen, and in the mini-map on the top left. I've already put 10 hours into GT5 and haven't seen ANYTHING that looks remotely as bad as others have been claiming. People are turning this into a fanboy war to try and downplay GT5. If you don't believe me, look at all of the user reviews on Metacritic where people are rating it a 0 and giving the comment/review of "GO BUY FORZA". The game looks as good as promised.... My Standard 3000GT VR-4 doesn't look any less detailed in-game than my Premium Civic Type R. The textures don't look ANY worse than Prologue, and in most cases better.

People can't seem to give games fair reviews anymore, they turn it into a fanboy war. Is the game as good visually as promised? Yes it is. Is there still a ton of things that are lacking? Yes, I could give you a list of things I hope get patched because they are a disappointment... but for the time being the game is every bit as good visually as I expected it to be.

BTW, if you look at image's properties, it's 1215x683 (that is 683p), not a native resolution, obviously it was resized from a different res original screenshot.

Edit: just to be sure, I checked the original on its site, it's 1215x683 also there, this strange resolution wasn't a resizing made here on VGC.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

iRacer's new tire model interview - basically what GT5 doesn't do.  PC sims are ahead, GT6 might catch up but with rFactor 2 coming out they will have to work faster and more efficiently than have been with their leisurely 5 year pace.

http://www.virtualr.net/iracing-com-dave-kaemmer-tire-model-video-interview/

youarebadatgames said:

iRacer's new tire model interview - basically what GT5 doesn't do.  PC sims are ahead, GT6 might catch up but with rFactor 2 coming out they will have to work faster and more efficiently than have been with their leisurely 5 year pace.

Another 5 year turn around from PD and the GT franchise will be all but wiped out.  I just don't see PD taking another 5 years to bring out another GT.  I would bet they probably tune the GT5 engine and release a new version within 2 years.    

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

damndl0ser said:
youarebadatgames said:

Another 5 year turn around from PD and the GT franchise will be all but wiped out.  I just don't see PD taking another 5 years to bring out another GT.  I would bet they probably tune the GT5 engine and release a new version within 2 years.    

The problem really is that they put a lot of emphisis on graphics since for some reason console gamers are like zomg graphics these days. The way it is now, Forza or GT will never catch up to PC where the really serious sim racers are since they need to meet popular demands. Sim type gaming will always be more accurate on PC at the same given time pretty much.

Around the Network
Netyaroze said:
Zlejedi said:
pariz said:

I was under the impression that its graphics were nothing to write home about through trailers. Some people are saying this over and over again, but i'll know when I have my copy, sometime in the near future.

I can tell you that I have more than enough graphic wise playing Dirt 2 with my  AMD Athon II X4 635 Processor and my ATI Radeon HD 5750 (pretty good but nothing to expensive, just average these days).

That's how far PC graphics are compared to consoles sadly.

For ps3/x360 GT5 looks great, for pc standard hmm it barely keeps it own.

We should stop comparing Console games to PC games graphic wise. The last game that truly was able to compete with PC on some level was Uncharted 2. PCs nowadays are one generation ahead. 4gig ram I5 and a 200 Euro graphics card beats consoles already by a lot. 

A good PC has 10times the power of an HD Console. PC graphics are slowly becoming better and better and the flaws of Consoles are more and more obvious and the later a game comes in a console life cycle the uglier it seems because pc graphics get better and better with time .

TBH PS3 and Xbox360 games are all ugly really ugly to what a good PC has to offer. And the better PC gets the uglier HD Console games are. Uncharted 3 KZ 3 Infamous 2 will be most whats possible on PS3 and the Box already reached its climax for quite a while now.

PS3 starts to get ugly and if consoles wouldnt be so huge then there would already be Pc games which would be technically impossible on consoles and engines which would need more power then a console can deliever.

If we look at GT5 as a Console game it is the prettiest Racing game and on par with Forza 3, sometimes its prettier sometimes its uglier. But GT is all about Gameplay anyway which imo is superior. I am not so into Racer but GT always sucks me in like no other Racer.

The specs are one generation ahead, but the games aren't (technically).

Crysis aside there is not 1 truly outstanding looking PC game that can't be done in a similar way on consoles.

I own lots of games on PS3 and 360 and sometimes even the same ones on PC and the difference between multiplat titles is minimal. If you play your console games on a couch a few meters away from the TV I'd say there is no difference at all.

But it seems like PC games are only evolving when the next console generation starts.

Secretly laughs at the posts...:)

Barozi said:
Netyaroze said:

Crysis aside there is not 1 truly outstanding looking PC game that can't be done in a similar way on consoles.

I own lots of games on PS3 and 360 and sometimes even the same ones on PC and the difference between multiplat titles is minimal. If you play your console games on a couch a few meters away from the TV I'd say there is no difference at all.

But it seems like PC games are only evolving when the next console generation starts.

That must have been a old PC. the closer you are to the monitor the more difference you can see between PC and console of the same game.  If GT5 was on PC for example we wouldn't have the jagged edge problem.

Barozi said:
Netyaroze said:
Zlejedi said:
pariz said:

I was under the impression that its graphics were nothing to write home about through trailers. Some people are saying this over and over again, but i'll know when I have my copy, sometime in the near future.

I can tell you that I have more than enough graphic wise playing Dirt 2 with my  AMD Athon II X4 635 Processor and my ATI Radeon HD 5750 (pretty good but nothing to expensive, just average these days).

That's how far PC graphics are compared to consoles sadly.

For ps3/x360 GT5 looks great, for pc standard hmm it barely keeps it own.

We should stop comparing Console games to PC games graphic wise. The last game that truly was able to compete with PC on some level was Uncharted 2. PCs nowadays are one generation ahead. 4gig ram I5 and a 200 Euro graphics card beats consoles already by a lot. 

A good PC has 10times the power of an HD Console. PC graphics are slowly becoming better and better and the flaws of Consoles are more and more obvious and the later a game comes in a console life cycle the uglier it seems because pc graphics get better and better with time .

TBH PS3 and Xbox360 games are all ugly really ugly to what a good PC has to offer. And the better PC gets the uglier HD Console games are. Uncharted 3 KZ 3 Infamous 2 will be most whats possible on PS3 and the Box already reached its climax for quite a while now.

PS3 starts to get ugly and if consoles wouldnt be so huge then there would already be Pc games which would be technically impossible on consoles and engines which would need more power then a console can deliever.

If we look at GT5 as a Console game it is the prettiest Racing game and on par with Forza 3, sometimes its prettier sometimes its uglier. But GT is all about Gameplay anyway which imo is superior. I am not so into Racer but GT always sucks me in like no other Racer.

really depends on the dev, game play could be the same, but the amount of effects make a big difference in the more recent PC ports. The difference in memory and power really shows when you are looking at details at longer draw distances and I also can't see jaggies at CFAA x8 which is effectively 24x AA, everything is just really sharp and at a much higher res, not to mention the difference in AO is huge too making a lot of games feel completely different. It's only a minimal difference if the PC is meh-ish.

Smidlee said:
Barozi said:
Netyaroze said:

That must have been a old PC. the closer you are to the monitor the more difference you can see between PC and console of the same game.  If GT5 was on PC for example we wouldn't have the jagged edge problem.

and sharper textures, prolly 3D trees =P and more detailed environments while having really high poly cars with DX11 support making cars look even more ridiculous with tess enabled.