By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GT5 graphics aren't that impressive

dirt and snow look great but grass and trees are ps2-like

Around the Network
sieanr said:
jhuff394 said:

this game looks lifelike on 1080p and thats all i can ask for..... that being said... unless SONY'S FIRST PARTY DELEVOPERS LIKE NAUGHTY DOG OR SANTA MONICA develop it.....

the ps3's rediculous cpu power wont be utitlized properly.... the one question i have is why an RSX... combine a cell with the 360 gpu and you got a console that wont be touched for years....

cell/RSX > Xenos/Xenon

But not by much..

cell/Xenon > many pcs... but obviously not all of em..

The Cell is hardly a great CPU for games, and its one that is now half a decade old. Sony had a fun little experiment, but their dream of derivative CPUS in just about everything under the sun never panned out, let alone their pie in the sky idea of distributed computing.  On top of that they did a bad job of predicting where GPUs were headed, especially in terms of raw power. But they did see the GPGPU trend popping up, and you have to give them credit for that - even though there entry into the market failed.

True..... Its been a struggle working with the cell ever since their launch and if they were to remake the ps3 i guarentee theyd use a much simpler multicore processor with a heafty-ass GPU

Cell is not a complete failure tho... Naughty Dog raves about it, and proves it with Uncharted 2

And keep in mind that while these numbers don't meant a whole lot in practical use.....

The cell processor still can perform almost twice as many floating point operations per a second compared to an Core i7 cpu.

“Absolutely, we can do much more with it. I don’t know if we are even close to 50 percent of PlayStation 3’s power at this point,” said Asmussen about God of War 3.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

i have the game and It looks good for the most part. And lets not forget the fact that this game runs at 1080p at a constant 60fps. Something that is virtually unheard of on consoles. I think the only other game was WipEout HD. They could have gone the MW2 route and made this game 600p, but no body wants that right?

kafar said:
sieanr said:
kafar said:

1. PC has heavy background workloads and developers need to worry about compatibility, which requires a 2. certain midle layers  (directX for example) to deal with different hardware configuration. you just can't compare the spec directly.  though PC does offer better resolution and better AA, the lighting (which i think is the way more important than AA), physcis and AI are still at the similar level of consoles games. so not too much of a whole generation ahead but PC graphics is definitely better than consoles to some extend.

on a serious note, I'm curious to see how the next generation consoles can wow me. the best graphics in this gen is quite close to real life imo.

1. Not really, unless you start playing games while compiling code or some equally demanding task. And given how much RAM PCs have these days the memory overhead from even a large amount of running processes is negligible,

2. Middle layers like Direct X and OpenGL? Oh, you mean the same APIs that the xbox and the PS3 use. And its because of those APIs that developers don't have to worry about coding for a million different hardware variations.

3. Uh, no. Even games ported over to PC from consoles have lighting and physics effects impossible on 360/PS3. Look at mirrors edge or Batman Arkham Asylum. You could probably make a decent argument that AI is superior on PC, but its one are that very few developers put any kind of money into, and consequently most games, regardless of platform, is using AI routines that haven't changed much in the past 5 years. But the PC could certainly beat consoles in AI if any developers decide to throw some serious work into it.

i don't know how much you know about computer techs. but your argument doesn't sound right.

when you are compiling code, you can't game well at all in most rigs. just try it. While your machine is idle, you can count how many services is lurking in your memory idling/spinning to handle requests such as firewall and anti-virus, well and possibly virus :). In theory, PC should be way more powerful than consoles. But those background task is closing the gap a lot.

xbox's dx 10 is specially tailored and optimized for xbox. i don't know about ps3's openGL, so i can't say. ps3 developers have already been utilizing spus for graphics too. i don't think regular version openGL can handle this at all.

I played Batman AA in PC with Nvidia Physx. Yes, it's better than console such as flying papers, nice mists and other little details but still it's not a generation ahead. as for lighting, i couldn't really tell much difference. Once you turn Physx off, it's quite similar to console version aside from AA and resolution. Not everyone has an Nvidia card.

AI is the only area that showed nearly no improvement this gen. I won't comment on that seriously. Claiming PC will definitely be better is a wild assumption.

Still, I don't think PC is one generation ahead and an curious to know what the next gen will be. If the tech doesn't advance too much, I may choose to skip a generation (or wait till later in the generation).

You claim to know a lot about computers, then state that the xbox uses dx10. Seriously dude, its not even worth discussion when everything about your post demonstrates how little you know about computing.

Just today one of the developers from Crytek stated that the PC is a full generation ahead of consoles. I think hes a bit more qualified then you.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
nightsurge said:
Blue3 said:

sieanr said:
nightsurge said:
Blue3 said:
nightsurge said:

Other things, such as customization, damage, physics, sound, environments, are all better on Forza 3...  Quantity and the ability to look like real life was basically GT5's only trump card and it just didn't hold up to expectations it seems.

Nice jokes, forza fhysics are far inferior. 

F3 only runs 8 cars, GT does 16 buddy, Ill take 16 cars on track over a 3d tree. 

I didn't realize the number of cars had anything to do with physics.  The damage, handling, and other areas where physics is necessarily has pretty much always been a stronger suit of Forza and remains so.

They really haven't changed the physics model in the GT series in ages, and its definitely lagging behind Forza now. Why couldn't polyphony do a proper tyre displacement model?

Actually your wrong, the entire physics engine was reworked for GT5. The entire point of the GT5 Time Trail demo was to show off a near-complete physics engine upgrade. And its perfectly realistic. Cars handle 100% as they should unlike Forza's trashy handling. Forza is the one lagging. It is a decent racing sim, but Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all.  Why? You have a man dedicated to get every vehicle to perform exactly how they should no matter what.

As for other visuals other than the car, why the hell should we care? I don't give a damn about how the grass looks while driving, just how the car looks and where all the other cars are. As long as everything from light poles to fencing are placed properly like at all the real tracks its all good.

Plus, you have to realize that the PS3 and 360 are both about spent on graphical power. 512mbs ram is the biggest hindrance of them all, but the CPUs and GPUs are pretty much maxed too. As Yamamoto said, GT5 was held back by the PS3. If it was on PC, he wouldn't have had an issue, but the PS3 ran out of power to give him which explains any screen tearing and crap. I figure all games for the next few years that push the polygons and triangles like GT5, Halo, Forza, Crysis 2, Killzone 3, etc will all suffer from massive screen tearing and framerate issues because any graphical improvements will hit the ram limit wall pretty easily causing texture load issues that cause framerate and screen tearing.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
sieanr said:
nightsurge said:
Blue3 said:

sieanr said:
nightsurge said:
Blue3 said:
nightsurge said:

Other things, such as customization, damage, physics, sound, environments, are all better on Forza 3...  Quantity and the ability to look like real life was basically GT5's only trump card and it just didn't hold up to expectations it seems.

Nice jokes, forza fhysics are far inferior. 

F3 only runs 8 cars, GT does 16 buddy, Ill take 16 cars on track over a 3d tree. 

I didn't realize the number of cars had anything to do with physics.  The damage, handling, and other areas where physics is necessarily has pretty much always been a stronger suit of Forza and remains so.

They really haven't changed the physics model in the GT series in ages, and its definitely lagging behind Forza now. Why couldn't polyphony do a proper tyre displacement model?

And its perfectly realistic.

Yep, perfectly realistic.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

yawwwnnn... failure of the gen...on average the game looks worst than forza motorsport 3 and plays like every gt so far

aznable said:

yawwwnnn... failure of the gen...on average the game looks worst than forza motorsport 3 and plays like every gt so far

I think your eyes and hands don't work properly.

sieanr said:

You claim to know a lot about computers, then state that the xbox uses dx10. Seriously dude, its not even worth discussion when everything about your post demonstrates how little you know about computing.

Just today one of the developers from Crytek stated that the PC is a full generation ahead of consoles. I think hes a bit more qualified then you.

everything like what? so you know a lot? you are just running away. xbox 360 uses a simplified dx10 iirc. so Crytek think the next gen consoles can only do what PC does today? Then i will definitely skip this generation. there hasn't been enough breakthroughs just yet. This gen's best graphics can be quite close to real life already.

kafar said:
sieanr said:

everything like what? so you know a lot? you are just running away. xbox 360 uses a simplified dx10 iirc. so Crytek think the next gen consoles can only do what PC does today? Then i will definitely skip this generation. there hasn't been enough breakthroughs just yet. This gen's best graphics can be quite close to real life already.

You think background process use up enough resources to put gaming rigs on par with consoles.

You don't understand what a graphics API is, nor how they work.

You think the 360 uses a "simplified" version of dx10 (again, not understanding what an API is)

You think consoles are comparable to PCs in terms of lighting models, when there have been numerous PC titles that simply can't run on consoles with the same lighting model - for example Mirrors Edge had AO on PC, but not consoles.