By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GT5 graphics aren't that impressive

sieanr said:
kafar said:
sieanr said:

You claim to know a lot about computers, then state that the xbox uses dx10. Seriously dude, its not even worth discussion when everything about your post demonstrates how little you know about computing.

Just today one of the developers from Crytek stated that the PC is a full generation ahead of consoles. I think hes a bit more qualified then you.

everything like what? so you know a lot? you are just running away. xbox 360 uses a simplified dx10 iirc. so Crytek think the next gen consoles can only do what PC does today? Then i will definitely skip this generation. there hasn't been enough breakthroughs just yet. This gen's best graphics can be quite close to real life already.

You think background process use up enough resources to put gaming rigs on par with consoles.

You don't understand what a graphics API is, nor how they work.

You think the 360 uses a "simplified" version of dx10 (again, not understanding what an API is)

You think consoles are comparable to PCs in terms of lighting models, when there have been numerous PC titles that simply can't run on consoles with the same lighting model - for example Mirrors Edge had AO on PC, but not consoles.

what? did you really read my post?

1. i only said it closes the gap. never said on par. do you really know what you are arguing?

2. heck, i used dx and openGL in quite a number of projects. you call me not understanding them? lol.

3. that's what i read and it makes sense as xbox is made by ms. it  makes sense also becasue 360 uses ati card which has unified shaders. so what's wrong with that? so i really have to say xbox sdk is based on dx?

4. again, i never said console can run the same lighting model. i said i couldn't tell much difference in game presentation, though i admit i never compared the two side by side.

Around the Network

While GPU's on a pc are far beyond the console GPU's

The cell cpu can still theoretically calculate more GFLOPs than any consumer available CPU.

By boosting the GPU with Cell (uncharted 2, killzone 2, GOW3)  Very special things can happen...

Unfortunately only 3 companies have really stepped out of their comfort zone to develop an engine utilizing the cell properly..

While a PC will always be a bigger beast of a machine, ps3 still has a lot of life in it... xbox... not so much in my opinion.

“Absolutely, we can do much more with it. I don’t know if we are even close to 50 percent of PlayStation 3’s power at this point,” said Asmussen about God of War 3.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

jhuff394 said:

The cell cpu can still theoretically calculate more GFLOPs than any consumer available CPU.

By boosting the GPU with Cell (uncharted 2, killzone 2, GOW3)  Very special things can happen...

Unfortunately only 3 companies have really stepped out of their comfort zone to develop an engine utilizing the cell properly..

While a PC will always be a bigger beast of a machine, ps3 still has a lot of life in it... xbox... not so much in my opinion.

And flops are fine and dandy for blade servers, NASA, ect, but its not very useful when you're trying to run a game engine on it. Plus add in multiple threads, memory read/writes, the OS sucking up one SPU, ect and that nice round 2tflops number is something you'll never see outside of synthetic benchmarks. But that doesn't really matter, game developers care more about integer performance.

For example, the PS2 could hit 6 gflops or so on its CPU, but the xbox could only do 1.5 gflops. Yet which system had better looking games?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

jhuff394 said:

actually if you look at official numbers for the top of the line CELL (better than the PS3 CELL especially at double precision)  you would see that it is capable of  102.4 GFLOPS double precision the top of the line i7s can do 107.55 GFLOPS (Intel Core i7 980 XE) in double precision calculations, so the CELL isn't actually on top any more. 

and for CPUs floating points aren't that important anyway where they are important is GPUs and modern GPUs offer over 250 GFLOPS double precision and will only get better as GPU designers focus more on double precision.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

sieanr said:
ssj12 said:
sieanr said:
nightsurge said:
Blue3 said:

sieanr said:
nightsurge said:
Blue3 said:
nightsurge said:

sieanr said:
ssj12 said:
sieanr said:
nightsurge said:
Blue3 said:

sieanr said:
nightsurge said:

I didn't realize the number of cars had anything to do with physics.  The damage, handling, and other areas where physics is necessarily has pretty much always been a stronger suit of Forza and remains so.

They really haven't changed the physics model in the GT series in ages, and its definitely lagging behind Forza now. Why couldn't polyphony do a proper tyre displacement model?

And its perfectly realistic.

Yep, perfectly realistic.

Oh I see, pulling one of those. I can do that too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4YpF9-mggo

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
sieanr said:
jhuff394 said:

And flops are fine and dandy for blade servers, NASA, ect, but its not very useful when you're trying to run a game engine on it. Plus add in multiple threads, memory read/writes, the OS sucking up one SPU, ect and that nice round 2tflops number is something you'll never see outside of synthetic benchmarks. But that doesn't really matter, game developers care more about integer performance.

For example, the PS2 could hit 6 gflops or so on its CPU, but the xbox could only do 1.5 gflops. Yet which system had better looking games?

GOW2 on PS2.

However you should know that the whole point about the CELL was scalability. Actually the 2TFlops of the benchmarks are very close to the real performance peak (unlike x86_64 personal computers).

ssj12 said:
sieanr said:
ssj12 said:
sieanr said:
nightsurge said:
Blue3 said:

sieanr said:
nightsurge said:
Blue3 said:
nightsurge said:

sieanr said:
ssj12 said:
sieanr said:
nightsurge said:
Blue3 said:

sieanr said:
nightsurge said:

I didn't realize the number of cars had anything to do with physics.  The damage, handling, and other areas where physics is necessarily has pretty much always been a stronger suit of Forza and remains so.

They really haven't changed the physics model in the GT series in ages, and its definitely lagging behind Forza now. Why couldn't polyphony do a proper tyre displacement model?

And its perfectly realistic.

Yep, perfectly realistic.

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Good one bro.

After finally playing the game for a bit I can honestly say the game looks great, however, I hate the load times (I know they aren't long load times like MNR) but after that - what was it, 8 gig install.. I wanted no load times :P

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

ssj12 said:

[...]

LOL, it looks like Cobra 11 stunts...   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I'd like to personally say that the shots in the OP and many other screenshots in this thread are very misleading, it appears the brightness is turned up too high and the resolution and quality of the shots have been messed with. (I also like how everyone posts pics of the tracks that have no scenery because they don't have scenery in real life, and then complain about the lack of scenery)

I play on a 46" 1080P Sony Bravia LED HDTV and the game looks amazing much more rich and vibrant than shots being posted here.

Like any game it's not perfect, the shadows are a little rough, the crowds are sad (to be expected in any racing game) there's a bit of screen tearing. You can probably take any element of the game and find fault in it. HOWEVER, if you stand back and take a look at everything going on at the SAME time it is actually very impressive what they were able to accomplish. The reflections on the cars, even the standard cars are fantastic. The tracks in city enviroments are the most impressive. They are very vibrant environments, and simply astounding.

Finally, anyone can take a screenshot and find everything wrong with it, however when you're playing the game driving at 100mph you don't have the time to sit there and pic out imperfections because the screen is constantly changing. It's when you're actually playing that you see how beautiful this game is. I haven't gotten to the damage or premium cars yet and I'm impressed.

Honestly, if you don't own the game and a good HDTV then don't bother posting because you have no idea what you're talking about.