By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FFXIII first week sales will outsell Halo 3 first week sales, worldwide.

Kasz216 said:
Stats87 said:

History shows that the first Final Fantasy game on a new platform sells the most lifetime for that generation. (despite the smaller install base) So I see FFXIII outselling FFXII.

According to this site, first week Japan sales

FF7 - 2.025 Million First Week (Close to 10 Million Lifetime Worldwide)
FF8 - 2.5 Million (Around 8 Million)
FF9 - 2.031 Million (5+ Million)
FFX - 1.9 Million (8+ Million)
FFX-2 - 1.5 Million (5+ Million)
FF12 - 1.82 Million (5+ Million)

FF8 had the biggest debut, but that was arguably the most hyped game ever when it initially came out. Probably because of all the love carried over from FF7.

Personally, my prediction for FFXIII lifetime is 7 - 7.5 Million. Like I mentioned earlier, sales for the PS2(and PSX) have always been ravaged by all the burning of games and piracy.

Final Fantasy's 4 and 6 disagree.

I think 4 and 6 are a different beast in two ways. Final Fantasy wasn't as world reknown as it is now and the gaming world was different as well. 

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
What is the point of this topic?
Will or not, who cares..
FFXIII is MY most anticipated game.
I just recently saw how crappy looks Halo 3 on 42" tv. That was horrible.
So if 4 mln. people bought good game with crappy graphics, who won`t buy a great game with great graphics and with overall +60h of gameplay.

Come on, it`s a FIRST jrpg, which looks like CGI.
How much do you think it will sell?

Damn, it`s just DREAM of all times, Final Fantasy game, which looks like CGI trailers.

FFXIII would be my most anticipated game, but FFVersusXIII has that honor instead.

Well, Versus is VERY COOL, but i just choice FFXIII world, it`s not that dark and dramatic. =)
Well i am more about positive things. =)
But yeah, FFXIII, FFXIIIv, KZ2, MGS4, GoW3 and then probably goes Team Ico game, GTA4(never was a fan of gta, even haven`t played almost GTA3), LBP, Uncharted2 and probably that is all for now.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Stats87 said:
Kasz216 said:
Stats87 said:

History shows that the first Final Fantasy game on a new platform sells the most lifetime for that generation. (despite the smaller install base) So I see FFXIII outselling FFXII.

According to this site, first week Japan sales

FF7 - 2.025 Million First Week (Close to 10 Million Lifetime Worldwide)
FF8 - 2.5 Million (Around 8 Million)
FF9 - 2.031 Million (5+ Million)
FFX - 1.9 Million (8+ Million)
FFX-2 - 1.5 Million (5+ Million)
FF12 - 1.82 Million (5+ Million)

FF8 had the biggest debut, but that was arguably the most hyped game ever when it initially came out. Probably because of all the love carried over from FF7.

Personally, my prediction for FFXIII lifetime is 7 - 7.5 Million. Like I mentioned earlier, sales for the PS2(and PSX) have always been ravaged by all the burning of games and piracy.

Final Fantasy's 4 and 6 disagree.

I think 4 and 6 are a different beast in two ways. Final Fantasy wasn't as world reknown as it is now and the gaming world was different as well.

You wouldn't say the gaming world is different now then how it was last two generations?

It is different with the integration of the FPS craze and the mainstream appeal that has created the crowd that has bought the Wii. But I would say the fanbase in regards to RPG's/FF compared to the last two generations is quite similar.

Around the Network

@Kasz

cant compare FF games before VII. Thats when FF went BBBBBIIIIIGGGG!!!!

also, I don't think install base will be much of an issue.

When FF7 reached full WW release, PSX sales were around 9.6 Million Worldwide
When FF10 reached majority WW release, PS2 sales were around 21 Million

So when you factor in the console Sales boom that will result from GT5, MGS4 and other games before the release of FFXIII, the install base will be large enough.

Remember again, the PS3 right (as far as I know) doesn't have the same issues of piracy and the burning of games that the PSX/PS2 did. If this holds up, we will also see more official sales of the game.

Oh in regards to the original statement, that this will outsell Halo 3 first week, I don't think it will. If I had to guess

Japan - 1.9 Million USA - 900k - EU - 750k = 3.55 Million

tombi123 said:
@deadeye

the PS3 install base will be higher when FFXIII releases than the 360 install base was when Halo 3 released. So it doesn't need as good attach rate. The majority of people who bought FFX and FFXII have or will have a PS3 by the time it releases, it doesn't make sense to talk about attach rates for previous FF games when the install base is so large, i.e 120,000,000 units.

Ummmmm, you sure about that. While the PS3 is doing better now, that is also becuase we are in the minddle of the holiday season. It took Sony forever to get here so chances are that the install base might not be that high when FF13 roles around. Maybe 12? Sales will probably move slowly after the holiday season as most of the potential buys will snag them up.

And even then, to beat Halo 3's first week sales, they still need a good attach rate.  ~3million need to be sold in the first week, so it's attach rate needs to be ~3million, and so far no game has done it on the PS3. Not to mention with the Japanese market in this crazy shift it probably wont meet this goal.

But most of the people who bout 10 and 12 probably wont buy a PS3. 

tombi123 said:
@Kasz

cant compare FF games before VII. Thats when FF went BBBBBIIIIIGGGG!!!!

A big group of casual RPG fans who play RPGS second to other games. Not the kind of people who i'd expect to by systems for Final Fantasy but instead bought Final Fantasy because it was the biggest RPG on their system and they wanted to play a couple a generation. You can tell this because while FF went big, there was pretty much no effect at all on other JRPG type games meaning FF were the only RPGs a lot of people were playing. Hence why the PS3 not being dominating like it was in the PS1 and PS2 days mattering. Final Fantasy is going to need other big games to do it's system selling for it outside of the niche RPG market that was around before Final Fantasy went huge. Otherwise the large group of people who have adopted other systems will either do without RPGs or spread across the newer IPs/Square IPs.